You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Herp McDerp said:

A coked up, roid raging Messi would shit all over Maradona.

A tea total Mardonna would shit all over a drugged up Messi. Messi can't even play with a shit team never mind play every game on the back on 14 hour bender.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Messi scored 91 goals in a calendar year.

im not one for comparing players from different eras, but for me, if Maradona was to play today, against today’s defenders he’d better Messi’ stats, likewise, put Messi into Maradona’ era, where defenders would kick the shit out of him, he’d wouldn’t be half as good. Both incredible players but why Diego gets the nod from me. 

31 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

im not one for comparing players from different eras, but for me, if Maradona was to play today, against today’s defenders he’d better Messi’ stats, likewise, put Messi into Maradona’ era, where defenders would kick the shit out of him, he’d wouldn’t be half as good. Both incredible players but why Diego gets the nod from me. 

These types of arguments are impossible to prove and aren't worth discussing really. You have to judge players by what they do against their peers. And Messi scored about 20 goals fewer that season than Maradona did in his whole Napoli tenure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Maradona might do that but that would depend on him eating right,  not doing drugs and keeping extremely fit.   Otherwise he wouldn't even be in the conversation for best about. 

Doesn't seem the type not to be snorting coke with his head in a set of titties.   I'd say he's very likely to have been one of the many who threw their talent away if he was in the modern game. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

These types of arguments are impossible to prove and aren't worth discussing really. You have to judge players by what they do against their peers. And Messi scored about 20 goals fewer that season than Maradona did in his whole Napoli tenure.

Maybe, but at the time you were golden boot in Italy with 16 goals, no way Messi would have scored like he’s done at Barca. Hard to compare really. 

It's a lot easier to score in la liga than anywhere else. Ronaldo's numbers rocketed when he went there and Suarez has almost been par with Messi the last few years. Bar the 1st half of the 2013/14 season Suarez's scoring rate wasn't that high.

I think Iago Aspas is regularly amongst the top scorers in that league.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

What absolute shit show on 2 counts:

- City have gone from being hauled in front of international courts for fraudulent accounting, getting off by technicality to be right back spitting in UEFA’s face by entertaining the possibility of Messi’s mammoth contract

- Messi showing himself to be a little twat jumping off the Barca bus the moment the going gets tough, the club without whom he’d very likely not have been remotely the player he is given the investment in various treatments etc when he was young.

what a sordid affair all round.

Agree with others that I don't reckon it's legit, he's just being a brat and trying to get the club restructured on and off the pitch to his satisfaction.

That's why I don't truck any of this "He's the best who's ever lived" business. He's never sought to test himself anywhere else, never roughed it, never toghed it out, this is case in point. Soon as he realised he wouldn't be the string puller in a world class team that's just been built on an unlimited budget to surround him and fucking batter everyone he's thrown his dummy out the pram.

A Maradonna or a Zidane would play for Burscough, get the shit kicked out of them and still light the place up, they wouldn't give a fuck.

People who rave over Messi are the type of people who used invincibility cheats on Fifa 98 so they could win every game five-nil, and turned it off if they lost. 

• Upvote 3

How anyone could watch Messi and says he’s not the best footballer ever completely mystifies me. He’s absolutely magic, the mardona claim is embarrassing Messi equals his goal rally for the season around late October early November of a season. Henry said he’s the only players he’s ever seen be able to dribble past 6 or 7 players and put it in the net which he regularly did in training. Messi is the best sportsperson that’s ever lived.

• Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

How anyone could watch Messi and says he’s not the best footballer ever completely mystifies me. He’s absolutely magic, the mardona claim is embarrassing Messi equals his goal rally for the season around late October early November of a season. Henry said he’s the only players he’s ever seen be able to dribble past 6 or 7 players and put it in the net which he regularly did in training. Messi is the best sportsperson that’s ever lived.

The only thing here is your complete disregard for others opinion. Embarrassing claims etc. We get it, you absolutely adore Messi, regard him as the best thing ever, better than sliced bread. But other people have different opinions, don't put them down as you do. 

• Upvote 1

A lot use the argument in support of Ronaldo that he’s better than Messi because he tested himself in other leagues. 

I think that’s a bit of a myth, granted he’s played in other leagues but it’s only really his last move where he’s actively sought a new test.

His has been about career progression, excellent young player at Sporting and good enough for a move to United but probably not ready for Madrid. Further development with the Mancs got him his dream move where he stayed until his powers started to wane and he moved to a league where the pace is slower. 

Never saw him looking for that new test away from Madrid when he was at his peak, why would he. 

In the case of Messi he was good enough to be a Barcelona player at the age of seventeen and for most his career there he’s been with a team competing for the big trophies every year. He was never going to leave there at his peak either. Up to now he hasn’t tested himself in other leagues because he’s never had to.

Ronaldo had to, that’s the difference.

Different era but the same could be said of Maradona, Zidane, Cruyff etc. Youth players didn’t tend to leave for other countries at a young age then but maybe they all had to prove themselves in other leagues because they weren’t good enough for Barcelona or Real when they were teenagers. They had to develop first to earn their moves. Maybe not, but in Messi’s case, definitely not. 

The other argument I always say is if you were picking teams in the park and you had first choice. It’s either going to be Messi or Ronaldo, you don’t give a shit which of the two has played in the most parks, your selection is based purely on who you think is the best player. Is anyone really choosing Ronaldo?

• Like 1

If Messi really wanted to prove himself in a different league, he wouldn't have waited until he was 33 to do it. He's playing for a team that essentially has at least a 50% chance of winning the league every season. Admittedly they have had embarrassing exits in the Champions League 3 years in a row, but then so have Man City!

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

The best sportsperson who ever lived? Fantastic player, obviously, but he’s a boring little CUNT. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If Messi really wanted to prove himself in a different league, he wouldn't have waited until he was 33 to do it. He's playing for a team that essentially has at least a 50% chance of winning the league every season. Admittedly they have had embarrassing exits in the Champions League 3 years in a row, but then so have Man City!

That’s sort of my point. He didn’t want or need to test himself in another league before now, maybe he still doesn’t. Using it as a measure of ‘who’s the greatest’ is flawed though. He was hardly going to take a step down (unless he signed for Liverpool obviously) at the age of 28, just to play in another league for the sake of it. Especially when the team he’s at were in the mix for the big pots every year. Had they not have been it might have been a different story but they were.

I guess twenty gazillion a week helped a bit as well. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

The only thing here is your complete disregard for others opinion. Embarrassing claims etc. We get it, you absolutely adore Messi, regard him as the best thing ever, better than sliced bread. But other people have different opinions, don't put them down as you do. 

The overwhelming majority on this forum think Maradona is a far better player which is equally as ridiculous an opinion. Not sure where you've been to police that.

City will agree a £200m transfer fee for Messi with Barca, then they’ll sell Bernardo Silva and Foden to New York City FC for £400m, and New York City FC will loan Bernardo Silva back to them. They’ll then use the extra £200m to buy Koulibaly and a couple of others. Jobs a good’un. Unless you’re Foden. When it’s a bit shit.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The best sportsperson who ever lived? Fantastic player, obviously, but he’s a boring little CUNT. 

It's an interesting question, for me 'best sportsperson' transcends pure ability, you could argue he's the best footballer or the best athlete, but sportsperson? 

The likes of Ali get lauded because of the impact they had outside of their sport too, their charisma and also the hardships they've endured getting to the top, being able to win when they're on the back foot or when they've gone through crises of confidence, suffered setbacks, been beaten and had to adapt and reinvent themselves even. 

Messi has done none of that, he's the cherry on top of an expensive cake whom, when faced with any of the above, has bought a fax machine from Rumbelows. 

• Upvote 1