You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR shit show 19/20

Davelfc

33 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

Fair enough. The bottom line is that the rule is clear - all handballs in the box should result in a goal being disallowed, so the City decision was correct. 

I get what you're saying. I don't think the city one is a very clear cut handball, as it's really difficult to see (or at least was on the angle I saw) that the ball hits his arm - but I agree if you call it's hit his arm, the new stupid law makes it handball. But we could go around in circles on it. My main point here is var isn't helping. They're still getting plenty wrong and var is ignoring when it wants some absolutely clear cut choices. 

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I think the point is that with Matip still winning the header the referee has to decide whether he was impeded to the point of not being able to do what he was trying to.  Obviously the ref got that wrong, but they can't have felt it was clear and obvious since the ref (and lino) clearly saw it and decided no foul.

Generally it's intervened when something has been missed, it hasn't directly contradicted a ref before (in the prem at least).

It was one of the most obvious pens I've seen all season so I can see no excuse for no over-ruling the ref

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

It was one of the most obvious pens I've seen all season so I can see no excuse for no over-ruling the ref

Apart from if they have instruction to not do so in those situations (I assume we'll find out if Riley does one of those weird confessional releases again).  My point is, that not being a pen is the ref's fault first and foremost.  It was clearly a foul, he shouldn't have even needed VAR.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DimReaper said:

Yes, it seems that the threshold for "clear and obvious" in penalty decisions is extremely high now when it wasn't before. It seems to me that it pretty much has to be a blatant refereeing mistake though I'm still unsure as to what that could possibly be as, as far as I'm aware, it hasn't happened yet? Or has it? Has there been a penalty given/overturned by VAR in the PL this season?

The ex-ref they had on the match yesterday used the term "subjective decision" when he tried to offer an explanation as to why VAR hadn't intervened on the Matip foul. I think that's the first time I've heard that term used in a VAR context. So he's essentially saying (and it's backed up by all the other decisions that I've seen) that VAR will only intervene in a situation where the foul isn't a subjective decision? Which is going to be pretty much never. So basically the current situation is that the penalty rule hasn't really changed despite VAR. The refs are still giving/not giving the penalties. 

Bollocks. The only way the foul on Matip could have been more obvious would have required the use of a chainsaw. Clear and obvious error by Mariner (a fucking joke of a referee) compounded by VAR supporting the referee and not enforcing the rules. Fuck knows what the standard is league 1 and 2 because the ones used in EPL are either biased,stupid or blind - or a combination.

The sooner Sian Massey gets a promotion the better

20 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Nothing wrong with VAR. It's the incompetent fucking cheats who adjudicat with it who are the problem. 

Mike Dean and his fucking cronies should be swinging from the crossbars Mussolini style. 

This is like saying there’s nothing wrong with the Conservative Party except for all the Tories that are in it.

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Apart from if they have instruction to not do so in those situations (I assume we'll find out if Riley does one of those weird confessional releases again).  My point is, that not being a pen is the ref's fault first and foremost.  It was clearly a foul, he shouldn't have even needed VAR.  

But the whole point of VAR is to correct fuck ups of the officials, either if they get it wrong or miss something. If our standard is the ref should have seen it anyway, can we not just turn off VAR as it is serving no purpose?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

But the whole point of VAR is to correct fuck ups of the officials, either if they get it wrong or miss something. If our standard is the ref should have seen it anyway, can we not just turn off VAR as it is serving no purpose? 

I'm not sure it is, I think the whole point is to catch things that the officials aren't in a position to see.  I think the position is the ref saw it and made a decision so the VAR crew didn't feel they should stop the game for a review. 

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Maybe I'm being naive but I thought one of the main objects of the exercise was to overturn obvious errors by the ref. Can't be much more obvious than the foul on Matip yesterday.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I'm not sure it is, I think the whole point is to catch things that the officials aren't in a position to see.  I think the position is the ref saw it and made a decision so the VAR crew didn't feel they should stop the game for a review. 

So why are they looking at every goal, clear and obvious errors for pens and red cards and offsides? It seems to me in nearly all those cases the ref or one of his officials should see it (like the lino should see the pen yesterday if mariner doesn't as he's in a spot where he can't see much else). If the only point of var is finding stuff the ref couldn't see, there's even less point to it than I thought. 

45 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The officiating has gotten worse (hard to believe) since it was introduced. The only thing it is any good for is offside calls - even then they have botched a few.

The NFL overturns calls on the field every week -- somehow those officials are able to handle it.

And offsides are one of the things they seem to be really good at on the pitch!

VAR isnt the problem. The problem as with all officiating in the PL is mike riley, head  of the ref's association. He wants and gets HIS interpretation on the  use of VAR stuck to.

They dont have this shit show in other leagues like we have. In the Leipzig v Bayern bundesliga game, bayern were awarded a dodgey pen when the bayern player ran into the Leipzig defender.

OK it took a bit too long but the ref consulted the VAR then the pitch side monitor and ruled he made a mistake in awarding the pen in the first place but the correct decision was made.

Riley is not allowing this to happen in the PL.

Add to this we dont know whats happening at Anfield because George or someone isnt keeping up with events.

54 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So why are they looking at every goal, clear and obvious errors for pens and red cards and offsides? It seems to me in nearly all those cases the ref or one of his officials should see it (like the lino should see the pen yesterday if mariner doesn't as he's in a spot where he can't see much else). If the only point of var is finding stuff the ref couldn't see, there's even less point to it than I thought. 

Right, not the "whole point" then, more the focus of how it's being applied.  I don't think VAR itself is bad, I think the implementation is.  I want to know the decision making process (or if they'll own the fuck up like they have recently for others) and so was speculating as to what that might be, either way the ref didn't give a pen (I assume because Matip got the header and so he shat out of making a decision).

On 14/09/2019 at 14:01, TheHowieLama said:

There is no question that is a pelanty if there is no VAR.

There's lot of questions since we've seen fuck knows wrong decisions down the years. 

They're definitely not using VAR right tho.   Pointless if I'm sat at home and can see it's a penalty,  then a refereee with replays shouldn't be missing it. 

50 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Right, not the "whole point" then, more the focus of how it's being applied.  I don't think VAR itself is bad, I think the implementation is.  I want to know the decision making process (or if they'll own the fuck up like they have recently for others) and so was speculating as to what that might be, either way the ref didn't give a pen (I assume because Matip got the header and so he shat out of making a decision).

Maybe we should agree to disagree on the whole thing. I think it's a fucking mess, but I never wanted it. I don't want jeopardy on every goal. I don't see the value of having a video stopped to decide if something is offside - I believe it goes against the whole spirit of why offside was invented to stop goal hanging and the lino's are pretty good at it imo. I'm not too arsed if a ref misses a penalty, I think we have more issues in how the refs apply the laws of the games in the penalty area than we do with how many they get wrong because they don't see it or claim they don't see it. I'm more than happy for them to use video evidence to red card someone for a violent act or a really bad foul, but then I see no need to stop the game, just inform the ref at the next break in play. All in all, for me var solves an issue that didn't exist and I actually have more of an issue with how the game is now officiated than I did last season when there was no video assistant. 

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

VAR isnt the problem. The problem as with all officiating in the PL is mike riley, head  of the ref's association. He wants and gets HIS interpretation on the  use of VAR stuck to.

They dont have this shit show in other leagues like we have. In the Leipzig v Bayern bundesliga game, bayern were awarded a dodgey pen when the bayern player ran into the Leipzig defender.

OK it took a bit too long but the ref consulted the VAR then the pitch side monitor and ruled he made a mistake in awarding the pen in the first place but the correct decision was made.

Riley is not allowing this to happen in the PL.

Add to this we dont know whats happening at Anfield because George or someone isnt keeping up with events.

Totally agree.

Utter abomination this weekend. The Matip none call was an absolute joke. Then ive just seen everton's goal where the striker has pinned the defender with both hands before scoring.

What is the point of having this technology if the numbskulls using it have'nt got a bloody clue...........

There is video replay being used to help officiating in pretty much every relevant team sport. It is absolutely insane that the morons running football cannot get it to work appropriately. Not rocket science. 

Also, this attitude that football is somehow above its use or too particular for it makes me want to slit my wrists. 

I'm surprised nobody has added to this thread after the game. Seriously, what is the fucking point. It didn't need a replay or any slow motion to see that wasn't a foul tonight for their pen, yet VAR just doubles down on another poor decision. There's people on here want to blame the premier League implementation of VAR but we've had 2 games under uefa this season and all that has happened is the video people have backed bad decisions on the pitch in both games. For VAR fan boys, what problem is VAR solving? Let's just accept refs make bad decisions, as that seems to me all var does anyway. 

• Upvote 2