You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your chrimbo dinner concoction

Chip Butty

I can do all of that any day of the year if I take a holiday from work.

I don't like having some daft festival dictating my life to me, especially one that goes on for weeks beforehand & seems to lead half the country to the brink of despair/bankruptcy.

Christmas food doesn't really do it for me either, I'd rather go out for tapas or something.

I should probably just stay off the Christmas threads, I fucking hate it, I really do. No wonder the suicide rate goes up at this time of year.

I cooked Christmas dinner for 14 and, if I say so myself, it was the bomb. We had:

Maple-glazed turkey

Pigs in blankets

Homemade bread sauce

Homemade sausage, star anise and fennel stuffing

Chantenay carrots in thyme and garlic glazed with butter and honey

Sprouts with almonds

Red cabbage with date and apple

Roast potatoes in duck fat

Homemade cranberry sauce

It was the fucking bomb.

Since then we’ve had leftovers as follows:

Pigs in blankets butties (breaky)

Stuffing and tomatoes on toast (breaky)

Turkey and sweetcorn soup (lunch)

Two different turkey curries - a spicy tomato one and a milder peanut and coconut milk one (tea)

Leftover veggies with a beef casserole (tea)

Leftover roasties with salt and vinegar (tea)

• Upvote 2

Good work Paul. Sounds delicious.

We had a quiet Christmas Day, just the four of us. We didn’t eat one big meal, as such. We ate about every 2-3 hours, and it was always something one of the four had chosen, so we spent the day eating a lot of favorite things.

Bagels

Smoked salmon

Cream cheese

Capers (can’t overlook this vital ingredient)

A nice pot of hot, strong tea

Pigs in blankets

(Yes, this was its own mini meal. The lad chose it. We ate a small plate, like tapas)

Garlic prawns

(Tiger prawns)

Steak (I had rib eye, the others had filet)

Asparagus (roasted, with a little oil drizzled over and salt and pepper, simple and tasty)

Mushrooms

Various desserts but I swerved that as I’m not a big dessert man

Instead I had cheese and crackers

I had missed Shropshire Blue, but managed to find some, good stuff too - Cropwell Bishop

Along the way we had Bucks Fizz, Red wine, and I also had a couple of warming bourbons - Basel Hayden, lovely stuff. It’s about -13C here so I considered it an essential Winter warmer.

Just chilling out with a few days off before we go again.

• Upvote 3

I had some slightly exotic sprouts, and pimped parsnips, apart from that everything was fairly standard, though very well executed.  I'm on my second to last bottle of advocaat, and I'm out for a Christmas curry tonight before a day of yahooing in Brighton tomorrow.  I need my bottom to behave itself for 36 hours.  It's probably too much to ask.

Well there was a fair bit of waste at my mother in law's & I've heard a few other people talking about it this year.

Some people seem to treat the supermarket shutting for one day like some sort of nuclear apocalypse which doesn't help.

Leicestershire council have this covered.

http://laliga-live.to/watch/newcastle_united_vs_manchester_city_live_football/skysportsmainevent

Officials have endured a festive flaying on social media after offering up some unpopular advice on how many sprouts people should eat with their Christmas lunch.

Leicestershire County Council took to Twitter over the weekend to suggest people try to avoid food waste and demonstrate some restraint when dishing up the Brussels on December 25.

The advice was as follows:

“Six sprouts = ONE portion. Don’t overbuy and they won’t go to waste. #Christmastip #wastefreexmas”

It is safe to say the internet was in no mood to be told by council officers how to enjoy their turkey and trimmings, with the tweet triggering an avalanche of responses, gifs and memes, ranging from abusive and angry to sarcastic and withering.

The council was accused of acting like the Nanny State and ignorance because leftover sprouts make up the Boxing Day bubble and squeak.

“Does 7 result in a council firing squad or portable gallows?” one user inquired.

A mocked picture of arch Brexiteer Nigel Farage, in a paper crown, refusing a plate of sprouts with the caption ‘No Brussels for me this year.’ was among the first responses.

Another said: “If we want to leave Brussels we will.’

Another irritated Tweeter said: “Surprising from a Tory council to be telling people how to live their lives.

“I would have thought it a Labour trait.”

Inquiries were also made as to whether the work experience girl had been put in charge of the council’s Twitter account.

Luton Eye was unimpressed and fired back “Councils need to focus on collecting bins and fixing street lamps, not offering this mind boggling dull and irrelevant nanny state drivel. That's your official portion of common sense for the day.

“Nonsense” tweeted Norman Goldner “Sprouts come in many different sizes. If I eat only six small ones, I'll barely fart.”

And it went on.... and on.... and on.

Fevered Egos said: “I've seen your obese councillors, don't you dare lecture us on portion control.”

But there was some support, of a fashion, for the council’s tweet with a few people declaring their hatred of sprouts and stating they would not be part of their Christmas lunch.

The authority has now sought to clarify its position on the most contentious of the brassica genus.  A spokeswoman told the Mercury: “We send out thousands of tweets, including messages about food waste, and sometimes we get it wrong.

"We want residents to enjoy every aspect of Christmas Day, including the sprouts!”

I had some slightly exotic sprouts, and pimped parsnips, apart from that everything was fairly standard, though very well executed.  I'm on my second to last bottle of advocaat, and I'm out for a Christmas curry tonight before a day of yahooing in Brighton tomorrow.  I need my bottom to behave itself for 36 hours.  It's probably too much to ask.

In our out of context, that's one hell of a line.

Is having soup for starters a Scottish thing or do other people do it too?

I couldn't imagine having it; filling you up before the main event.

There were 16 of us and nearly everyone had a hand it.

We had turkey

Tom Kerridge's sausage loaf

A vegetarian loaf

Sage and onion stuffing cut in Christmas shapes

Pigs in blankets

Bacon rolls

Small sausages

Roast potatoes

Home made potato croquettes

Roast parsnips

Carrots

Sprouts

Gravy

Cranberry and Orange sauce

Bread sauce

There was also a side of salmon that was left on the side an got forgotten about until everyone had finished.

And for pudding there was the essential Christmas pudding and brandy sauce

Pavlova

Mango cheesecake

and a Chocolate log

We did not eat for the rest of the day

• Upvote 2