You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

On 24/12/2022 at 14:00, Rico1304 said:

That isn’t what happened in the amendment votes.  

Fine, your position on the rights of sex offenders and potential rapists v women’s right is clear. I sincerely hope this doesn’t come back to bite you on the arse - oh of course it can’t, you’re a bloke.  

There, all done and dusted before Santa pulled on his boots.  

Voting down the amendments was right - you still think so? 

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Their line was it wouldn’t happen. Just like every other thing that’s happened. 

I've struggled to find this.

I have found a few different quotes from different individuals within Labour which have suggested differing opinions.

I have found a general statement from Labour (spokesperson) suggesting they would preserve women-only spaces where justified (such as prison).

It's probably ambiguous but seems to allow for nuance and exceptions such as that which has occurred this week.

14 minutes ago, Moo said:

I've struggled to find this.

I have found a few different quotes from different individuals within Labour which have suggested differing opinions.

I have found a general statement from Labour (spokesperson) suggesting they would preserve women-only spaces where justified (such as prison).

It's probably ambiguous but seems to allow for nuance and exceptions such as that which has occurred this week.

I admire your optimism.  The problem is that Labour policy would mean changes to the GRA that  make it easy to get a GRC and remove the ability to exclude GRC holders where there is one now.  

So, it legal now to say to the holder of a GRC ‘this is a single sex space, you can’t come in’ without being sued for discrimination.  Places like Rape Crises Centres for example, some will accept trans people but others that don’t want to don’t have to. 

This is all Stonewall policy that is driving Labour’s policy. You might try looking there for more info.  

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I admire your optimism.  The problem is that Labour policy would mean changes to the GRA that  make it easy to get a GRC and remove the ability to exclude GRC holders where there is one now.  

So, it legal now to say to the holder of a GRC ‘this is a single sex space, you can’t come in’ without being sued for discrimination.  Places like Rape Crises Centres for example, some will accept trans people but others that don’t want to don’t have to. 

This is all Stonewall policy that is driving Labour’s policy. You might try looking there for more info.  

This is from December last, re Labour.

---

A party spokesman said: “All political parties agree that the process needs modernising. A future Labour government will consult on what that looks like, while upholding the Equality Act and maintaining single-sex spaces.

“Labour has a strong and proud record of standing up for women’s rights. Our commitment to them is unrelenting.”

---

"...upholding the Equality Act and maintaining single-sex spaces" suggests, irrespective of self ID, provision can/could still be made for single-sex spaces. Doesn't it?

12 minutes ago, Moo said:

This is from December last, re Labour.

---

A party spokesman said: “All political parties agree that the process needs modernising. A future Labour government will consult on what that looks like, while upholding the Equality Act and maintaining single-sex spaces.

“Labour has a strong and proud record of standing up for women’s rights. Our commitment to them is unrelenting.”

---

"...upholding the Equality Act and maintaining single-sex spaces" suggests, irrespective of self ID, provision can/could still be made for single-sex spaces. Doesn't it?

No, not really. If they adopt the TWAW view, which is Lisa Nandy’s take, having a GRC makes you a woman in all respects.  So forgive me if that doesn’t fill me with confidence especially as Stonewall is shaping policy. 

Scottish Labour whipped for the changes to the GRA in Scotland and against all the amendments including one that would have prevented men getting a GRC whilst charged with a sexual offence. Yes, you read that right. 

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

No, not really. If they adopt the TWAW view, which is Lisa Nandy’s take, having a GRC makes you a woman in all respects.  So forgive me if that doesn’t fill me with confidence especially as Stonewall is shaping policy. 

Scottish Labour whipped for the changes to the GRA in Scotland and against all the amendments including one that would have prevented men getting a GRC whilst charged with a sexual offence. Yes, you read that right. 

I said ages ago (maybe years) that this would be a big election issue and was told (again) it would never happen. Well you’ve seen what’s happened to Sturgeon this week.  There’s rumours she may even resign.  Up until now the lunatics have been able to say the prison issue won’t happen but we’ve had 3 in a month. It’s had a huge amount of press because it’s fucking mental on every level.  

Inhad a look back in this thread and one fucking moron was even suggesting rapists/sexual predators in womens prisons shouldn’t be judged on what they did outside prisons but what they did whilst in there!  Honestly it’s a religion.  

16 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes I think I've just read about that last bit.

But we were, or I was, talking about Labour in general, not specifically Scottish Labour and not specifically Lisa Nandy whose views I'm well aware of.

You implied Labour's position is very black and white on this, but I've just read and shown that it's not. You personally may not have confidence in their ability or intent to provide for grey areas but you can't really claim they didn't/don't exist.

p.s. what's Penny Mourdaunt's take?

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

Yes I think I've just read about that last bit.

But we were, or I was, talking about Labour in general, not specifically Scottish Labour and not specifically Lisa Nandy whose views I'm well aware of.

You implied Labour's position is very black and white on this, but I've just read and shown that it's not. You personally may not have confidence in their ability or intent to provide for grey areas but you can't really claim they didn't/don't exist.

You haven’t shown anything of the sort.  You’ve a couple of bland quotes in the face of growing pressure because the issue is becoming known. 

If you could show me a clear reference to biological sex and not gender being the basis for policy then I’d be over the moon and Labour would win lots of votes back. 

one of the sneaky ways these type of policies is brought to bear is funding.  Holding the purse strings means that you get to give money to whoever follows your rules.  The woman who was raped in Brighton and wanted a woman only rape crisis centre.  There wasn’t one in the whole county.  Same in Edinburgh, JKR had to set one up and because she can fund it and they can cater only for women.  

Tried reading this five times and can't make head or tail of it. If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a waggon. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-trans-isla-bryson-b2274489.html

Responding, Ms Sturgeon said she does not know if Bryson is lying. “This individual claims to be a woman – what I said was that I don’t have information about whether those claims have validity or not.”

“What I think is relevant in this case is not whether the individual is a man or claims to be a woman or is trans, what is relevant is that the individual is a rapist … That is why the individual is in a male prison, not in the female prison, these are the issues that matter.”

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Tried reading this five times and can't make head or tail of it. If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a waggon. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-trans-isla-bryson-b2274489.html

Responding, Ms Sturgeon said she does not know if Bryson is lying. “This individual claims to be a woman – what I said was that I don’t have information about whether those claims have validity or not.”

“What I think is relevant in this case is not whether the individual is a man or claims to be a woman or is trans, what is relevant is that the individual is a rapist … That is why the individual is in a male prison, not in the female prison, these are the issues that matter.”

So the point is you can’t separate the lairs from those with dysphoria?  Now she’s hit the fucking nail on the head there!  It’s exactly the reason why NO men should be allowed in women’s single sex spaces. 

She’s not really helping her cause here is she?   

Just now, Rico1304 said:

So the point is you can’t separate the lairs from those with dysphoria?  Now she’s hit the fucking nail on the head there!  It’s exactly the reason why NO men should be allowed in women’s single sex spaces. 

She’s not really helping her cause here is she?   

How are you supposed to separate the legit trans people from the trans-come-latelies is what I don't understand. 

Maybe some kind of pre-incarceration test.

"You're in the showers <cells> you see naked women there. You want to paint your nails and talk pop music <cells interlinked> or do you have a big throbbing cock <interlinked>."  

13366_4643dd49216b67d9c617ceb260e45684.j

• Upvote 4

Trans-come-latelies. 

Hahaha. Brilliant. 

I feel like my grandad with all this new fangled gender stuff.
I reckon his head would actually fall off his shoulders if I sat him down and tried to explain it. 
My nan would sit laughing at my grandad as his head rolled past her feet and she’d tell him to stop being so stupid and put his head back on and move with the times. 

They are 95 and 93 respectively. 

• Upvote 1

A transgender woman has been charged with three counts of indecent exposure after using the women’s locker room at the YMCA in Xenia, Ohio.

Rachel Glines, 31, had not yet undergone gender reassignment surgery when they used the women’s changing facilities at the YMCA on several occasions in 2021 and 2022, WHIO-7 reported. The charges stem from three or more complaints from other YMCA patrons who “reported seeing a naked male in the female’s locker room,” according to the television station. Ms Glines is could appear in court as soon as next week.