You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chase for the top 4

Lee909

I'd long ago written off Arsenal but forgot the lengths Wenger will go to get top 4.

If you want a long long shot, you can 100-1 for spurs not to finish in the top 4. 

Last season they picked up 2 points from the last 4 games and a cup defeat to Chelsea could make them crumble. The season before I think they had a poor end to the season under Pochetino also.

Spurs have palace away next,  Hull away on the last day.  Arsenal and Manchester United at home , West Ham away and Leicester away. They have an excellent home record but only 2 of their last 6 are at home.  Their away record is not as good and one of their home games is up against a team who have the best ppg away record. 

wenger_cooks_up_by_omomani-d4zrt0b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10804881/2006-remembered-The-food-poisoning-bug-that-cost-Tottenham-Hotspur-their-Champions-League-dream.html

Some statistics for the “we must win the last 4 and even that may not be enough”-pessimists on here

Season 1999-2000 – 2015-2016 (17 last seasons):

Being 5th and not qualifying for CL:

Highest points ever in period: Spurs (2013) and Everton (2014), 72 points

Average points for 5th place: 64,47 points

Being 4th and therefore qualifying:

Lowest points in period: Liverpool (2004), 60 points

Average points for 5th place: 68,94 points

If we end on 73 points (2 wins –  1 draw - 1 loss) and don’t qualify for CL it will be a new PL record.

I do believe 73 points might not be enough this year, but I feel pretty confident 75 points will be enough.

So here we are. Win 3 out of the last 4 and we’re probably watching CL football on Anfield next season.

I reckon Man Utd's fixtures are too tough and intense for them to win the necessary number of games.

Like Fanchester, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal do their usual great run to a top four finish . They have to play Spurs, but don't Spurs usually shit themselves like Everton in Derbies.

Interesting shout on Spurs and the possibility of them crumbling. It might happen, but I think they've done too much already to throw it away now. And their side seems to be growing in the usual sense - young ish team, solid defence, growing in resilience (consider all the points they picked up while Kane was out twice) and a good attack too.

Spurs will be fine, and if they implode a bit, I can't see them dropping further than third, with Man City going on a run to possibly pip them to second. Maybe.

I think a new points record will be required to finish top four this season. 76 will probably do it, so we need three wins and a draw. 75 will be touch and go given the increased competition this time. Arsenal will put a bit of a run together, but I think it will be too late for them. They might get past one of Liverpool or Man Utd, but I'd be very surprised if they got past both and finished top four.

I reckon Man Utd's fixtures are too tough and intense for them to win the necessary number of games.

Like Fanchester, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal do their usual great run to a top four finish . They have to play Spurs, but don't Spurs usually shit themselves like Everton in Derbies.

No it's fairly even in recent years

Interesting shout on Spurs and the possibility of them crumbling. It might happen, but I think they've done too much already to throw it away now. And their side seems to be growing in the usual sense - young ish team, solid defence, growing in resilience (consider all the points they picked up while Kane was out twice) and a good attack too.

Spurs will be fine, and if they implode a bit, I can't see them dropping further than third, with Man City going on a run to possibly pip them to second. Maybe.

I think a new points record will be required to finish top four this season. 76 will probably do it, so we need three wins and a draw. 75 will be touch and go given the increased competition this time. Arsenal will put a bit of a run together, but I think it will be too late for them. They might get past one of Liverpool or Man Utd, but I'd be very surprised if they got past both and finished top four.

Arsenal got 79 to finish 4th in the year we nearly won it 2014
  • Upvote 1

Between the top 6 teams there are 4 matches left. I predict they’ll end:

MC – MU – Draw

Ars – MU - Ars win

Spurs – Ars – Draw

Spurs – MU – Spurs win

Situation IF they end as predicted:

MC: Max points possible: 80, if they win the remaining 5 games

MU: Max points possible: 73, if they win the remaining 3 games

Ars: Max points possible: 76, if they win the remaining 5 games

LFC: Max points possible: 78, if we win the remaining 4 games

I can understand why the bookies have us 2nd favourite to be among top 4. It's highly unlikely MC, MU and Ars will win all their total of 13 matches. Someone will loose points along the way. 

We 'll probably be top 4 on 75 points, and may very well quakify if we win 3 of our last 4 games,

Are kid text'd me to tell me that we probably need to win all 4 of our remaining games to get in the CL and then he proceeds to tell me that even when we played shit-hot early part of the season, we didn't manage to win 4 league games on the bounce then, so how are we supposed to do it now!

Cheers bro. 

Are kid text'd me to tell me that we probably need to win all 4 of our remaining games to get in the CL and then he proceeds to tell me that even when we played shit-hot early part of the season, we didn't manage to win 4 league games on the bounce then, so how are we supposed to do it now!

Cheers bro. 

We beat Leicester, Chelsea, Hull and Swansea in a row right at the start of the season but think that's the only time we've done it.

Edit. Actually, beat Boro, The Shite, Stoke and Man City in a row over Xmas as well.

We beat Leicester, Chelsea, Hull and Swansea in a row right at the start of the season but think that's the only time we've done it.

Edit. Actually, beat Boro, The Shite, Stoke and Man City in a row over Xmas as well.

He's fuckin shit are kid isn't he.

Fuck all that statistical despondency, we're gonna fuckin do it! 

Catch the moon bring it down, can you moonwalk?

Basic line is:

If MU wins on Thursday we may need more than 75p (3 more wins for us). If MC wins or even if it's a draw, 75 points are probably going to be enough. 

Match on Thurday is very important for us, We don't want MU to get 3 points from that.

If we get 78 points (4 more wins) there's a tehoretical chance both MU and MC will get 79, but that would mean all other results  going against us, almost a 1000/1 chance, 78 points will be enough to secure 4th and may very well be enoug to end 3rd.