You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

If a player is serious about the game and developing into a better player then it has to be offset by oppertunity.

Look at the young english players who followed the cash to Man City and wasted their careers, or Martin Odegaard who went to Madrid when he should have either stayed in Norway or made a smaller career jump.

Compare that with the likes of Dembele, Weigl, Mor and Isak who could have realisticly received far more than they're getting at Dortmund but would have had half the playing time.

playing time is great if you can get in the team and have a manager and environment that can nurture young talent. i think the point made by someone earlier on this topic was mourionho doesn't have a record for bringing through young kids. IMO, since Klopp has been Liverpool manager, he's given lots a chance (mostly when he's had no choice), but I can't think of any who've improved under him and made the leap forward - Ibe, Stewart and Ojo have pretty much come and gone from the squad and Woodburn and TAA have failed to establish themselves or look capable of it. Man United as a club want to see young players come through and have a history in achieving it, even if their manager is retarded. I don't think there's anything to choose between developing here and there and they will certainly pay him fuck loads more - what have we got to offer him if we offer less money? i see absolutely nothing. 

• Upvote 1

We could just about run to a danish pastry for Van Dijk

We were never in with any realistic chance of signing him

VVD "bid" is just classic FSG. We put it out in the press we are interested, as he's probably the most valuable player in english football outside the top 6 who we could buy (I realise it would take more to buy Lukaku, but the shite won't sell to us). Then as we rumble into the summer, the stories will come out about what he demanded - a 23 bedroom mansion with a helipad on the thames, 500k per week and a twice weekly blowie off klopp. then we'll buy someone for about 8m instead of VVD, buy a few more players up to that 50m, which will be mostly funded from sales. Then in the final week of the window, the club will put out we are struggling to buy the right players and the echo will run stories that at least the money for VVD was still there, but we just couldn't find a way to spend it - it'll still be there in january, so just sit tight. 

• Upvote 5

VVD "bid" is just classic FSG. We put it out in the press we are interested, as he's probably the most valuable player in english football outside the top 6 who we could buy (I realise it would take more to buy Lukaku, but the shite won't sell to us). Then as we rumble into the summer, the stories will come out about what he demanded - a 23 bedroom mansion with a helipad on the thames, 500k per week and a twice weekly blowie off klopp. then we'll buy someone for about 8m instead of VVD, buy a few more players up to that 50m, which will be mostly funded from sales. Then in the final week of the window, the club will put out we are struggling to buy the right players and the echo will run stories that at least the money for VVD was still there, but we just couldn't find a way to spend it - it'll still be there in january, so just sit tight.

Then there will be some images released of the new academy/training ground shortly after. Loads of fans on Facebook pages will say that the club are doing things the right way and anyone wanting LFC to buy success should fuck off and support Man City or Chelsea.

• Upvote 2

It's a shame that FSG already have a new bus as they could have unveiled that. Maybe they could buy another one, with an away kit?

I'd struggle to think of a worse transfer policy than signing players who were held in no great regard throughout their teens and early-20's but have hit a rich vein of form at at a mid-table club and seen their transfer value multiple by a value of four over the course of a year.

• Upvote 2

I'd struggle to think of a worse transfer policy than signing players who were held in no great regard throughout their teens and early-20's but have hit a rich vein of form at at a mid-table club and seen their transfer value multiple by a value of four over the course of a year.

This sums up our transfer policy over the last few years. Especially when they play well against us, which has not worked too well, so this is right.

How about players who were blinding in their youth but have become slower and disaffected through a combination of injuries and over exertion, while retaining the majority of their transfer value through arrogant managers believing they can prise one final swansong on the basis that class will out?

This sums up our transfer policy over the last few years. Especially when they play well against us, which has not worked too well, so this is right.

So you're not in favour of signing Redmond and Fraser as our new wide attacking players?

Harry Maguire. Hull.

He's a Spurs target so we should be in for him too..

I approve of this. An excellent centre back. Him and Van Dijk as starters with Matip and Lovren as squad players, then we'd be well equipped to challenge on multiple competitions next season.

I'd be extremely weary about signing defenders who come from teams with rigid defensive systems. We need to look for specific attributes that fit the way we play. Don't get me wrong VVD has all that too but someone like Koulibaly has it and does it at a team that's more similar to us.

• Upvote 1

I'd be extremely weary about signing defenders who come from teams with rigid defensive systems. We need to look for specific attributes that fit the way we play. Don't get me wrong VVD has all that too but someone like Koulibaly has it and does it at a team that's more similar to us.

Lets buy an absolute cunt for central mid as well then.

• Upvote 1

How about players who were blinding in their youth but have become slower and disaffected through a combination of injuries and over exertion, while retaining the majority of their transfer value through arrogant managers believing they can prise one final swansong on the basis that class will out?

Yeah, I'd still give Shaqiri a go as well.  I'm with mgw100.

Every time I've seen shaqiri this season, he's looked far and shit.

and fat.

It's a shame really, the guy has a hell of a lot of talent.  But seems to have put on far too much muscle, which goes to flab whenever he's picks up a knock - which is often.