You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We've got a Sporting Director

Bob

Haha, just been pointed out to me that he's the one Rodgers hated so much he did a hatchet job on him for the Daily Mail.  The one about the "analysts in their air conditioned office" while the real football men sweated out on the training pitch.

As someone noted on the first page, if ever there was a recommendation for a sporting director, a conflict with Brendan "my first choice signing is Fabio Borini" Rodgers is it.

• Upvote 2

What does a sporting director actually do? Seems like one of those comms I receive in work when it tells you that some big wig has moved jobs but I don't actually understand what the person does or why he's doing it. Is this jobs for the boys or is this actually adding value and structure that will assist with more success off the and on the pitch? If so what specifics will it add?

Apparently we couldn't agree a fee with MK Dons or wages with the player (it was reported we wouldn't budge on our £4k per week offer), Edwards was head of technical performance at the time, he wouldn't of been involved with the financial side of things. Its more likely Ayre or Gordon blocked the deal.

Guest Pistonbroke

As Klopp more or less said himself,there is a lot of work involved between identifying a transfer target and getting him to actually sign a contract. It seems Klopp doesnt want all the bullsit involved with agents and negotiations and wants to spend his time on the training ground instead. Very wise.

Probably spot on.

In Germany they class what we in the UK see as managers Trainers and Coaches. They basically concentrate on the team players and, well coaching. Most clubs have a different structure to the UK with managers, Chairman and Presidents  forming a AG Vorstand ( Management Board) for dealing with finances, signings etc) Obviously the trainer has a put in as far as players wanted goes. 

I watched a football film documentary called "Trainer" by Aljoscha Pause quite a while back which was very good, it basically followed three young trainers around in the lower leagues and gave fans an insight into things, one of the Trainer's was "Schubert" who Mouse, Trumo and myself were discussing in the "Other football" thread. Klopp is also in the docu as it takes a look behind the scenes at the DFB and established coaches such as Klopp. 

Unfortunately it is just in the German language, so if you can understand or speak German here is the link to a stream if anyone is interested. 

http://streamcloud.eu/gwf0jk82qlkq/Trainer_-kinox.tv_53759_-bySGexx.mp4.html

Well I have questions for all them positions.

Goalies - Mignolet is shit with his feet and getting worse at stopping shots. He's not great at commanding the box either. Why'd we buy him? Why have we replaced him with a 23 year old kid who might be better with his feet but doesn't do coming for crosses or set pieces, when we already have a major weakness with crosses and set pieces?

Centre backs - Lovren was £20m and until Klopp arrives didn't look like being worth a tenth of that. Even after months of improvement he still gives away two goals in our last match. And what's going on with the £20m ball playing centre back who seemed perfect for a team playing a high line and building from the back?

Full backs - Why don't we have a proper left back? Why don't we have any backup for one of the most energetic positions on the pitch? We just want 50 games a season with no injuries or drop in form from Clyne?

Defensive midfielders - Klopp got us out of a hole here by reinventing Hendo as a DM. Other than him we've got a lad with the agility of a cruise liner who's better going forward than back, and a 29 year old who plays like he's 35.

Wide players - we could have had Mané for like £11m when he went to Southampton. Now we've paid the premium and got him he looks like one of our most important players and our attack looks much shitter when he's not playing. So who's his backup when he goes the ACON? Sturridge? Can you think of a more different player?

Strikers - why do we have so many when we play one up front and the only one Klopp seems to trust there is Firmino?

I'm not having a go at Klopp at all because he's worked wonders with this squad. If you'd told me last year that a centre midfield of Hendo, Lallana and Wijnaldum could go to Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea in the first few weeks and dominate them, I'd have laughed at you.

I just think that for the money we've spent and recouped since FSG have been here the squad should be loads better than it is and if we didn't have a fucking brilliant world class manager we'd be seeing the effects of that on the pitch.

• Upvote 2

I disagree with nearly all that. Firstly, we don't play with defensive midfielders or not in the traditional sense, we press all over the pitch, secondly Milner now is a 'proper leftback', he's one of the best in the league and I can't think of many I'd want over him.

And we have too many strikers ? We have four, including one that's likely to be out for nine months and one that gets injured if there's a strong breeze. Origi and Sturridge Can also play off the forward or wide.

I think our first XI is on par with the majority of 'top sides' and that includes a midfield of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana, three extremely energetic players playing an energetic style of football. The only one I can definitively say is better is Man City's.

Klopp is trying to bring in a winger, personally I'd also be looking at another central defender. If he brings those two in, I'd be more than happy with the balance of the squad. Hopefully Klopp views Alexander-Arnold as cover for Clyne.

Karius hasn't impressed so far, but he's only just finding his feet. Hopefully he'll grow into the role.

• Upvote 1

Even if joe is going overboard here, I do agree that the main difference between a midtable squad of 12 months ago and a squad to challenge for the title now is the difference between Rodgers and Klopp. And their coaching teams.

Edit: I'm not by any means convinced that we're gonna challenge for the title, that's mainly media hype so far in my opinion, but I do think we're in a totally different shape now compared to when Klopp took over.

• Upvote 1

Even if joe is going overboard here, I do agree that the main difference between a midtable squad of 12 months ago and a squad to challenge for the title now is the difference between Rodgers and Klopp. And their coaching teams.

Obviously, Klopp is a world class manager and Rodgers was out of his depth once Suarez left, but this squad is full of quality. The failures of the transfer committee are well documented, but they've also been responsible for signing the bulk of the first XI. Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Clyne, Origi, Can, all players bought since the committee was set up.

It's a game of opinions, mine is that this current squad is very good and Klopp is getting the best out of them. No drastic overhaul is needed, we're at a stage now where one or two quality signings a season will do us. The constant rebuilding is finished.

Well I have questions for all them positions.

Goalies - Mignolet is shit with his feet and getting worse at stopping shots. He's not great at commanding the box either. Why'd we buy him? Why have we replaced him with a 23 year old kid who might be better with his feet but doesn't do coming for crosses or set pieces, when we already have a major weakness with crosses and set pieces?

Centre backs - Lovren was £20m and until Klopp arrives didn't look like being worth a tenth of that. Even after months of improvement he still gives away two goals in our last match. And what's going on with the £20m ball playing centre back who seemed perfect for a team playing a high line and building from the back?

Full backs - Why don't we have a proper left back? Why don't we have any backup for one of the most energetic positions on the pitch? We just want 50 games a season with no injuries or drop in form from Clyne?

Defensive midfielders - Klopp got us out of a hole here by reinventing Hendo as a DM. Other than him we've got a lad with the agility of a cruise liner who's better going forward than back, and a 29 year old who plays like he's 35.

Wide players - we could have had Mané for like £11m when he went to Southampton. Now we've paid the premium and got him he looks like one of our most important players and our attack looks much shitter when he's not playing. So who's his backup when he goes the ACON? Sturridge? Can you think of a more different player?

Strikers - why do we have so many when we play one up front and the only one Klopp seems to trust there is Firmino?

I'm not having a go at Klopp at all because he's worked wonders with this squad. If you'd told me last year that a centre midfield of Hendo, Lallana and Wijnaldum could go to Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea in the first few weeks and dominate them, I'd have laughed at you.

I just think that for the money we've spent and recouped since FSG have been here the squad should be loads better than it is and if we didn't have a fucking brilliant world class manager we'd be seeing the effects of that on the pitch.

Wow, that's a lot of questions.

Goalies -  "Mignolet is shit with his feet and getting worse at stopping shots".  I don't know if that's statistically true but assuming it is, so what?  He has lost his place.  Why did we buy him? Because we needed a goalkeeper and he was available.  Why have we replaced him with Karius?  Because, as you say, Mignolet hasn't been good enough.  I share your concerns about Karius but am prepared to give him longer than five games.

Centre backs - "Lovren was £20 and until Klopp arrives didn't look like being worth a tenth of that".  Okay, well Klopp has arrived and he looks every bit like a £20m centre back in the majority of games.  He didn't "give away two goals in our last match", he made a couple of mistakes which were compounded by poor collective defending and some good play by the opposition. Shit happens.  As for Sakho, his lack of professionalism has rightly seen him ostracised from the squad and he only has himself to blame.  We have depth at CB so it's not a problem.

Full backs - "why don't we have a proper left back".  Because Klopp had faith in the ultra professional (Sakho, take note) James Milner.  His faith has been rewarded with a string of excellent displays, keeping out the left back we signed for £17m.  Nothing to see here.

Defensive midfielders - Hendo has made the spot is own and is having fantastic season.  We only play with one, so it's not a position where we need much depth.  Nothing to see.

"Wide players" - "We could have had Mane when he went to Southampton for like £11m".  Interesting factoid there.  Well, we didn't buy him when he went to Southampton but we do have him now and he's pretty good.  Who is his back up?  I don't know, you'd have to ask Jurgen. I'm sure he'll think of something like he always does.  He's a clever guy.

Strikers - why do we have so many when we only play one up front?  Because Jurgen's predecessors bought them.  

Obviously, Klopp is a world class manager and Rodgers was out of his depth once Suarez left, but this squad is full of quality. The failures of the transfer committee are well documented, but they've also been responsible for signing the bulk of the first XI. Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Clyne, Origi, Can, all players bought since the committee was set up.

It's a game of opinions, mine is that this current squad is very good and Klopp is getting the best out of them. No drastic overhaul is needed, we're at a stage now where one or two quality signings a season will do us. The constant rebuilding is finished.

The fact that this is where we stand (and I agree that it is) after the transfer window disasters under Comolli and Rodgers is almost certainly why Edwards was promoted.

You can look at our squad and pick a few holes in the depth in a few positions, but at least we have a good starting XI and probably about 3 or 4 behind them that are very solid.  Beyond that, sure, we need to continue to improve, but it's not nearly the disaster it was a few years back.  Never forget that the likes of Spearing and Shelvey were once important players for us.

We now have the luxury of looking at every transfer window with a long-term view, no immediate holes to fill.  We can go after young players with more potential without the fear that if they don't work out immediately, we're in big trouble in the short-term.  That in turn allows us to keep our powder dry on someone like Dahoud, and if Monchengladbach are being difficult and we think we can get him next year, then we just wait.  In the meantime we have quality players like Henderson who can play there.

Same with Pulisic, you can see he's a long-term target but there was no pressure to go in with a huge bid last summer.  Mane/Coutinho/Firmino with Sturridge and Origi in reserve is plenty strong for a year without Europe, and then we see where it stands next summer.  He'll only have a year or two left on his deal, depending on who you believe, and he loves Klopp, so if he sees us on the up and a chance to link up with his old manager, then we get a bargain.

No more the summers of clearing out deadwood, and then do it all again next summer.  From here it's just a couple of players at a time, maybe a few youth signings to keep the pipeline full, and we're pretty much set.  It's a good place to be.

The true reason why our squad has gone from being a disaster in the eyes of our fans to being pretty good all of a sudden is because it turns out that many of the players we already had fit Klopp's style very well, and as a result they've improved their performances. In addition, he's added to that by bringing in more players who fit his football and the result has been very positive.

All we really need to do is to keep supplementing the squad with  decent players who can play our football and we'll be fine. That's how you build a good team.

Haha, just been pointed out to me that he's the one Rodgers hated so much he did a hatchet job on him for the Daily Mail. The one about the "analysts in their air conditioned office" while the real football men sweated out on the training pitch.

As someone noted on the first page, if ever there was a recommendation for a sporting director, a conflict with Brendan "my first choice signing is Fabio Borini" Rodgers is it.

Rodgers is one of those people that thinks they're smart because they've only ever been around uneducated people. I am one of those people too and it was incredibly annoying seeing him as Liverpool manager.
  • Upvote 3

• 4 months later...