You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Removing people from history

Moctezuma

Recently I’ve noticed that the re-runs they do of Top of the Pops have been pretty bereft of presenters. I’m sure this is an attempt to airbrush Savile et al. out of history but I’m wondering is there a particular need to do this?

I suppose for the families and victims of the abuse his idiotic grinning visage isn’t exactly what they want to see (and I was never particularly enamored with his style anyway), but are we going to start doing this for anyone found guilty of transgressions later in life?

As the BBC may need to set up a presenter checking unit on all older programming that gets put out.

I remember once hearing that Stalin did this with someone by completely removing them from the photo he was in. There must be other examples of it as well.

What do you reckon to it, do the students have a point?

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. If you're going to try to eliminate every trace of folk from history who weren't (if you'll excuse the pun) whiter than white, where does it end? Do we dynamite Mount Rushmore? Do we bulldoze Greek, Roman and Egyptian monuments because their societies employed slave labour?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

WWE and Chris Benoit.

Yeah, that's a good example. It's pretty ironic because at the time, they were doing a storyline that Mr.Mcmahon had been killed because his limo had exploded and they were trying to write his character off the show.

Then, like a week later Benoit died and Mcmahon had to make an appearance on Raw to announce the news and do a tribute show. After when they learned the details of the incident they erased him from the site and never spoke of him ever again.

I don't agree with the students. There would be people around the world who would have a problem with statues of people like Churchill or Nelson and there are people who think Gandhi was racist towards black South Africans or Nelson Mandela was a terrorist yet there will, rightly, be statues of them about. You can't rewrite history. I think there is a big difference in tearing down statues of Hitler in the immediate aftermath of the fall of Nazisim for example and removing a statue of someone who died over a hundred years ago.

Bang out of order that, Hades, though I'm not sure what cigarette paper your critics are putting between that and "I hope your mum gets raped", a phrase that has received their enthusastic support when directed at me.

Is it? That is effectively what the party he has voted for is doing (and has done). Eugenic cleansing of the disabled. Only fair that he gets to experience some of what he has condemned thousands to. 

• Downvote 1

Is it? That is effectively what the party he has voted for is doing (and has done). Eugenic cleansing of the disabled. Only fair that he gets to experience some of what he has condemned thousands to. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but telling someone you hope they end up disabled isn't cool.

There is too much of "Person X holds this opinion, therefore he needs to be abused and mistreated" on this forum, I wonder how many people are actively put off participating here because of it.

You're entitled to your opinion, but telling someone you hope they end up disabled isn't cool.

Why is it not cool? Would you not wish death upon a murderer?

I genuinely hope he and every other Tory gets a chronic, painful disease and is forced into debt, misery and lifelong suffering of the likes which he shows such callous disregard for. 

• Downvote 1

Why is it not cool? Would you not wish death upon a murderer?

I genuinely hope he and every other Tory gets a chronic, painful disease and is forced into debt, misery and lifelong suffering of the likes which he shows such callous disregard for.

Just me this time or my family as well?

You're a strange fish Hades, but you've shown your true colours a few times lately. I honestly don't think there's anyone as bigoted as you on the forum.

On the up side you've had me pissing myself quite a few times. That's 'at' rather than 'with'.