You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Windows 7 problems - help needed!

Red_or_Dead

At the end of me fuming tether here.  Downloaded some updates last night - I never like doing that but had to bite the bullet I guess and this morning they wouldn't install correctly.  Long and short of it is Windows won't fucking load at all.

It's a HP PC and I've tried system restore which for some fucking reason only has two restore points (yesterday and this morning) and that doesn't fucking work.  Tried to boot from a recovery disc but that's exactly the same.

Posted on the Microsoft site for advice but that's next than useless.  Got loads of fucking files on it so I don't want to be doing a full restore to factory settings - got loads of programmes on there too which would be a ball ache to install.

Any ideas?!

I assume you've tried starting in safe mode seeing as you tried a system restore. They're weird. I don't think I've ever had one work as expected.

Are you getting any error message?

The updates are a fucking nightmare, and without having it in front of me it's hard to help. For files, you could download linux puppy and burn that to disc or onto a USB. It's an operating system that runs from the RAM and you can usually get all your files back from the hard disc that way.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

I assume you've tried starting in safe mode seeing as you tried a system restore. They're weird. I don't think I've ever had one work as expected.

Are you getting any error message?

The updates are a fucking nightmare, and without having it in front of me it's hard to help. For files, you could download linux puppy and burn that to disc or onto a USB. It's an operating system that runs from the RAM and you can usually get all your files back from the hard disc that way.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Cheers.

The error code is 0x80070002

Safe mode is goosed as well - i.e. it won't even load into safe mode - just goes into this HP recovery thing (which doesn't work).

Looked at something to do with linux for getting the files back but it's way beyond my technical capacity!

Think I'm going to have to suck it up and take it into a shop tomorrow.

Yeah you might have to take it in. It's a common problem by the looks of it. Something to do with a 'missing' file in the software update (it IS actually there, but Windows isn't looking in the right place for it).

Couple of things to try then. IF you can get into CMD (DOS) via the recover disc. You should find it in 'Advanced Options' and  try the registry scan 

Type: sfc /scannow

That scans and repairs registry problems. Then try to boot in safe mode.

If not, try this (in MS DOS again):

At the X:sources> prompt, type C: (press enter)

next type:- (at the c:\> prompt)

cd C:\windows (press enter)

next type:-(at the c:\windows> prompt)

ren SoftwareDistribution SWDTemp (press enter)

Type:- exit (press enter) Restart computer try windows updates.

Good luck. And don't be afraid of linux puppy. It's very easy.

Cheers lads.  

Yeah, they're right fucking bastards.  Just got mine back from the shop now, spending fucking hours reinstalling all my software and stuff.  What was the name of that add on for google chrome that lets you change your location (so you can get on pirate bay, etc) can't for the life remember what it was called.

Cheers lads.

Yeah, they're right fucking bastards. Just got mine back from the shop now, spending fucking hours reinstalling all my software and stuff. What was the name of that add on for google chrome that lets you change your location (so you can get on pirate bay, etc) can't for the life remember what it was called.

Ninite will save you loads of time setting up a PC

https://ninite.com

If you mean Hola don't use it as it's full of spyware.

At the end of me fuming tether here. Downloaded some updates last night - I never like doing that but had to bite the bullet I guess and this morning they wouldn't install correctly. Long and short of it is Windows won't fucking load at all.

It's a HP PC and I've tried system restore which for some fucking reason only has two restore points (yesterday and this morning) and that doesn't fucking work. Tried to boot from a recovery disc but that's exactly the same.

Posted on the Microsoft site for advice but that's next than useless. Got loads of fucking files on it so I don't want to be doing a full restore to factory settings - got loads of programmes on there too which would be a ball ache to install.

Any ideas?!

This actually fucked up my son's computer. He tried everything but had to buy a new one in the end.