You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2016

aRdja

Can't deal with these Ukranians. PL teams should just blacklist. Keep your players. Lets see how much you want once his form dips or contract starts to run down.

Second this.  Who would want the likes of Willian, Mkhitaryan, and Douglas Costa? 

Just bin off getting anyone from the Ukrainian league, "Prem-proven"is what we want.

Second this. Who would want the likes of Willian, Mkhitaryan, and Douglas Costa?

Just bin off getting anyone from the Ukrainian league, "Prem-proven"is what we want.

I hear there's a great left winger plying his trade in the championship

Stuarto Downinho

I would pay the money for Teixeira, I would sign Stegen, Bale and bring back Suarez. We would win the league and reclaim our European status among the best. Our revenues would boom from success not by selling players, but from success. I would feed the committee to hungry Great White Sharks and shame their sympathisers.

Four excellent players who would improve us enormously.

Do we have the £250M it would cost?

Can we pay the wages?

Would they all come here now?

I like the ambition, and we're all sick of the large sums we've wasted, but I'm not sure your list is realistic.

Four excellent players who would improve us enormously.

Do we have the £250M it would cost?

Can we pay the wages?

Would they all come here now?

I like the ambition, and we're all sick of the large sums we've wasted, but I'm not sure your list is realistic.

What? £250M?

We spent more than £300m predominantly on shite the past 2 seasons.

Also wages...

Since WHEN did austerity and especially self-imposed austerity worked?

Why reduce the wage bill when TV rights and generally revenues are booming?

Sign some World Class players and you will see revenues hitting stratospheric Heights.

It's the austerity, STUPID.

Also, JP - you are coming across as passive aggressive, as someone noted earlier. If you are aware and don't care, that's one thing. But just in case you are not aware...

I really liked your defence of Rodgers. When most had turned, you remained supportive. That's no bad trait. The details of his removal have been done to death. Arguably he should have gone sooner, in the summer, but he survived, even if his back room team didn't.

He can count himself a little unlucky that he only got part of the season before getting binned, if he wishes to. Most fans would disagree, but there is a sense that it is all a bit unsatisfactory if you start the new season and don't even get until Christmas.

So what prompted the change?

Simple. Klopp's availability. The powers that be at the club saw his pedigree and passion, and perhaps they forecast a managerial merry go round on the horizon too, so they decided to get in there and bring him in.

Now, it's fair to say it has been a mixed bag under Klopp so far. On the plus side we have shown a lot more grit and have retrieved points from losing positions. We've also seen tantalizing glimpses (a few matches) where we've wiped the floor with good teams. So we've seen enough to know there is a lot of hope for the future.

On the downside, we've seen some abject displays, and we have been decimated by injuries. This has significantly reduced the goal threat we carry and at the other end of the pitch, injuries have added to some very poor defensive displays.

Here's the thing though: THIS IS NOT KLOPP'S TEAM!

Most reds know the score. We know it will take some time to sort out. It doesn't mean he gets a free pass forever, mind; and we can, and should, expect to see progress along the way. A cup final coming up is a welcome boost, even if it is the least important trophy out of four we play for this season.

The season in which we went so close to the title under Rodgers was fantastic. There's not a red on the planet who didn't love the ride... although we came up just short at the end. Rodgers had the top two scorers in the league in Suarez and Sturridge. The former was also the best player in the league by some distance that season. We also had one of the most promising kids coming through to play with them, even if the little rat jumped ship to Man City.

I'm certain as can be that Klopp would give his right arm for those three players now (a fit Sturridge, mind). But that trio will never play together again in a Liverpool team.

The whole thing needs building up again. Brendan has gone. Klopp is here. We have our work cut out to get back to where we want to be, but I for one can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

There's no need to keep harping back to what Rodgers did and didn't do. And there's no need to try to put unfair pressure on Klopp by comparing the best of times under Rodgers with the mess Klopp now has to sort out.

• Upvote 6

What? £250M?

We spent more than £300m predominantly on shite the past 2 seasons.

I agree we've wasted loads of money.

I'd love to see a big push for some top quality.

Ter Stegen? Why not. Very doable.

Bale? Very unlikely. If he left Real Madrid we would be well down the pecking order for him, even if we had the £100M and £250k per weeks to throw at him.

Teixeira? Maybe. Though the overnight price increase from €50M to €70M shows how difficult it can be to sign players.

Suarez? Surely not now, while he is at the peak of his powers in that Barcelona team. But maybe towards the end of his career?

I agree with your general point though. We should make a push to sign top players and make a statement that says we want to fight for the title.

However, I'm not so sure Klopp will build like that. It will be interesting to see what he does with more money than he had before, but I suspect we will see a mixture of unheralded players who will become very good, but hopefully some instant top quality too, as the team needs a couple of catalyst players to help it take a leap forward.

• Upvote 1

I would pay the money for Teixeira, I would sign Stegen, Bale and bring back Suarez. We would win the league and reclaim our European status among the best. Our revenues would boom from success not by selling players, but from success. I would feed the committee to hungry Great White Sharks and shame their sympathisers.

And that's the bottom line... Cause Nightcat said so

Also, JP - you are coming across as passive aggressive, as someone noted earlier. If you are aware and don't care, that's one thing. But just in case you are not aware...

I really liked your defence of Rodgers. When most had turned, you remained supportive. That's no bad trait. The details of his removal have been done to death. Arguably he should have gone sooner, in the summer, but he survived, even if his back room team didn't.

He can count himself a little unlucky that he only got part of the season before getting binned, if he wishes to. Most fans would disagree, but there is a sense that it is all a bit unsatisfactory if you start the new season and don't even get until Christmas.

So what prompted the change?

Simple. Klopp's availability. The powers that be at the club saw his pedigree and passion, and perhaps they forecast a managerial merry go round on the horizon too, so they decided to get in there and bring him in.

Now, it's fair to say it has been a mixed bag under Klopp so far. On the plus side we have shown a lot more grit and have retrieved points from losing positions. We've also seen tantalizing glimpses (a few matches) where we've wiped the floor with good teams. So we've seen enough to know there is a lot of hope for the future.

On the downside, we've seen some abject displays, and we have been decimated by injuries. This has significantly reduced the goal threat we carry and at the other end of the pitch, injuries have added to some very poor defensive displays.

Here's the thing though: THIS IS NOT KLOPP'S TEAM!

Most reds know the score. We know it will take some time to sort out. It doesn't mean he gets a free pass forever, mind; and we can, and should, expect to see progress along the way. A cup final coming up is a welcome boost, even if it is the least important trophy out of four we play for this season.

The season in which we went so close to the title under Rodgers was fantastic. There's not a red on the planet who didn't love the ride... although we came up just short at the end. Rodgers had the top two scorers in the league in Suarez and Sturridge. The former was also the best player in the league by some distance that season. We also had one of the most promising kids coming through to play with them, even if the little rat jumped ship to Man City.

I'm certain as can be that Klopp would give his right arm for those three players now (a fit Sturridge, mind). But that trio will never play together again in a Liverpool team.

The whole thing needs building up again. Brendan has gone. Klopp is here. We have our work cut out to get back to where we want to be, but I for one can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

There's no need to keep harping back to what Rodgers did and didn't do. And there's no need to try to put unfair pressure on Klopp by comparing the best of times under Rodgers with the mess Klopp now has to sort out.

A very good post mate,it is no use harping on and on,Rodgers tried and failed,he's gone that's it,finished.

Lets sign Messi as well. Fuck it, lets sign the Nou Camp and buy Mars while we are at it. You raging fucking loon-ball 

• Upvote 4

In my opinion you can never pay too much for good players and you can never pay too little for bad ones. Juve splashed out an inflation-adjusted £51M on Buffon in 2001. Absolute bargain for what he's given them. On the other had we have spent £83M on Carroll, Benteke and Balotelli who have cost us fuckloads of money and denied us massive opportunity cost. 

• Upvote 5

That was a brilliant summer of transfer business by Juventus. They sold Van Der Sar, Zidane and Inzaghi and brought in Buffon, Thuram and Nedved. They already had Del Piero and Trezeguet up front so were able to re-establish their dominance in Serie A for the next 5 years (until their general manager was done for bribing referees).

When you are considered to be one of the top clubs, it's important to maintain the highest standard of quality with your new additions. It keeps the squad's competitive level high and is a much better environment for helping young players to develop as they are learning first-hand what it takes to get to the top and stay there.

• Upvote 2

In my opinion you can never pay too much for good players and you can never pay too little for bad ones. Juve splashed out an inflation-adjusted £51M on Buffon in 2001. Absolute bargain for what he's given them. On the other had we have spent £83M on Carroll, Benteke and Balotelli who have cost us fuckloads of money and denied us massive opportunity cost.

Wonder if Suarez wuld have stayed for £400k p/w. Would have actually been cheaper ffs.

• Upvote 1

That was a brilliant summer of transfer business by Juventus. They sold Van Der Sar, Zidane and Inzaghi and brought in Buffon, Thuram and Nedved. They already had Del Piero and Trezeguet up front so were able to re-establish their dominance in Serie A for the next 5 years (until their general manager was done for bribing referees).

When you are considered to be one of the top clubs, it's important to maintain the highest standard of quality with your new additions. It keeps the squad's competitive level high and is a much better environment for helping young players to develop as they are learning first-hand what it takes to get to the top and stay there.

Whereas we tried to replace Suarez with Lallana.

I generally agree with you that it is fine to overpay for good players, but I get the impression that Klopp is a bit of a pragmatist in the transfer market, maybe similar to Arsene Wenger. I'm sure if proven top class players are available we would stump up the cash but I think he prefers finding players on the cheap.

If we were to replicate Arsenal's philosophy in the market i'd be quite happy as I think this is a sensible way of doing business. Spend big on class like Ozil and Sanchez and then supplement them with cheaper, young players like Elneny, etc... 

The only way you can cheat the system is to underpay for bad players. The good players are rare, well-known and overpriced. There's no option but to overpay. FSG have the opposite approach which is why we're so shit.

I'm not sure that's right. Have a look at Mahrez and Payet.