You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Apart form giving the ball away almost everytime he had it, you mean?

He had a dodgy few minutes settling into the game and then did everything right. He helped the run the clock down by making the right passes and running with the ball he also and covered Trent fairly well out of possession. People have just got a bee in their bonnet about him. Just judge him objectively. It’s not hard.

He had a dodgy few minutes settling into the game and then did everything right. He helped the run the clock down by making the right passes and running with the ball he also and covered Trent fairly well out of possession. People have just got a bee in their bonnet about him. Just judge him objectively. It’s not hard.

Off the ball, I've got less of an issue with him.

Some of his bottle is questionable when making challenges, and his use of the ball is average at best.

He doesn't even score anymore, which is about the only positive he had last season (again, I'm talking with the ball).

On top of that, he goes hiding a lot (specially away from home) and that for me, is what makes all the criticism fair comment.

And none of the above is different to what we witnessed last night.

• Upvote 1

Since it's the Henderson thread I'll start with him. Good game last night. Shame about the yellow, but hopefully Can will be back next week to fill the gap. Mind you, I think Henderson at his best is better, and we miss him when he's not playing. He's had a tough time managing injuries, so he has probably slipped down a bit in the estimation of many fans, but so long as the injuries aren't bothering him, he's a good player and well worth his place in the side. 

Wijnaldum? I think he's a good player. He shows for the ball and shields it well. He has decent pace and is able to receive it in a tight space while under pressure. He doesn't do much that grabs your attention, so he has this unfortunate invisible man monicker, but for me that's a bit unfair. He's not a great player, but he is worth his place in the squad, and even if we improve the midfield with two additions and one out (Keita and Jorghino in; Can out) Wijnaldum will still see plenty of action and will be a useful squad man.

It's what we want and need as we seek to build a squad that can go the distance in the League. Players in the side being replaced by better, and then they become squad men. I think that's what will happen with Wijnaldum, but for a team that aspires to fight on four fronts, he will be worth his place in the squad.  

Since it's the Henderson thread I'll start with him. Good game last night. Shame about the yellow, but hopefully Can will be back next week to fill the gap. Mind you, I think Henderson at his best is better, and we miss him when he's not playing. He's had a tough time managing injuries, so he has probably slipped down a bit in the estimation of many fans, but so long as the injuries aren't bothering him, he's a good player and well worth his place in the side. 

Wijnaldum? I think he's a good player. He shows for the ball and shields it well. He has decent pace and is able to receive it in a tight space while under pressure. He doesn't do much that grabs your attention, so he has this unfortunate invisible man monicker, but for me that's a bit unfair. He's not a great player, but he is worth his place in the squad, and even if we improve the midfield with two additions and one out (Keita and Jorghino in; Can out) Wijnaldum will still see plenty of action and will be a useful squad man.

It's what we want and need as we seek to build a squad that can go the distance in the League. Players in the side being replaced by better, and then they become squad men. I think that's what will happen with Wijnaldum, but for a team that aspires to fight on four fronts, he will be worth his place in the squad.  

I think Wijnaldum is braver on the ball, and I suspect we'll need some of that.

Anyone seen that video of Van Dijk telling Henderson to calm down after he just boots the ball all panicky and Henderson twice turns to Van Dijk screaming at him like a little baby.

No but I'd very much like to.

Can anybody find it?

• 2 weeks later...

Henderson has played just 52% of the available minutes since 2015, and has actually been available less than Sturridge was for Klopp.

Sturridge may have been available but he couldn't have played all those games, 90 minutes on the pitch would have seen him out for 3 months with fatigue

• Upvote 1

If Henderson can stay fit he is well worth his place in the side. This summer we need to sign another quality midfielder, along with Keita, to keep the level high regardless of Henderson’s availability.

Rabiot, Jorginho, Neves... someone like that.

I say get them all in...It's the only way to be sure.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)