You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

12 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

One of my mates runs a warehouse in Northampton. They’ve got the Waitrose contract so quite high pressure.  

He had to offer high wages to keep drivers as they were being poached by other firms, but there were no new drivers coming through. So the temporary blip has corrected and wages have dipped back to where they were. 

Err, your mate had a firm that offered higher wages to stop workers leaving and recruit/entice other workers but because he still couldn't find these new workers on the higher rate offered the wages went back to the previous rate? OK Rico.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I would probably vote remain, although I'd go to the polling station with gritted teeth.

And there's the rub. 

At the next General Election, just about all of us here will vote whatever it takes to get a Labour Government. That's not because we're massive Starmer fans - and it would be wrong for anyone to spend the following six years arguing from the position that we were - it's because we know what the alternative is.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

And there's the rub. 

At the next General Election, just about all of us here will vote whatever it takes to get a Labour Government. That's not because we're massive Starmer fans - and it would be wrong for anyone to spend the following six years arguing from the position that we were - it's because we know what the alternative is.

Sorry you've lost me, what's that got to do with voting Remain/Leave if the vote was held now? Lesser of two evils? Maybe, but mainly down to government incompetence, bad planning and failure to invest.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Sorry you've lost me, what's that got to do with voting Remain/Leave if the vote was held now? Lesser of two evils? Maybe, but mainly down to government incompetence, bad planning and failure to invest.

The point is that you have spent most of the last six years arguing against anyone who points out that Brexit is the shitshow it was always intended to be by highlighting flaws in the EU. None of us ever said that the EU was perfect; it's just that membership would be so much better than * waves hand * all this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The point is that you have spent most of the last six years arguing against anyone who points out that Brexit is the shitshow it was always intended to be by highlighting flaws in the EU. None of us ever said that the EU was perfect; it's just that membership would be so much better than * waves hand * all this.

I've spent the last 6 years arguing that it's not Brexit that's the shitshow but the government in charge of orchestrating the process. Difference.

As for voting out Tories, at the last election whilst most of England were heralding a massive Tory victory the Conservative candidate where I was saying recieved a massive 6% of the vote. I can remember my girl saying their must be some sort of mistake for them to poll that much, people must've misplaced their vote or something. Wales will never vote in a tory government Angry, ain't happening. 

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I've spent the last 6 years arguing that it's not Brexit that's the shitshow but the government in charge of orchestrating the process. Difference.

As for voting out Tories, at the last election whilst most of England were heralding a massive Tory victory the Conservative candidate where I was saying recieved a massive 6% of the vote. I can remember my girl saying their must be some sort of mistake for them to poll that much, people must've misplaced their vote or something. Wales will never vote in a tory government Angry, ain't happening. 

Brexit would always fail. No nation leaving it would be allowed to have better terms. The same would be the case if the UK stayed and another nation was leaving.

It's just a fallacy that it's the government's poor preparation and not the actual action of committing economic suicide.

I don't think the most ardent renainer would say the eu was perfect but as a prime mover,we could have pushed for reform.

Instead we were fed the lie that the eu was the source of all our ills and we would be much better when we were out.It soon became us versus them with johnson painting himself as the brave patriot fighting against the villany of the eu.

Sadly too many people believed it.

I remember one old fella on brexit day crying saying 'we have got our country back.

Indeed.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I don't think the most ardent renainer would say the eu was perfect but as a prime mover,we could have pushed for reform.

Instead we were fed the lie that the eu was the source of all our ills and we would be much better when we were out.It soon became us versus them with johnson painting himself as the brave patriot fighting against the villany of the eu.

Sadly too many people believed it.

I remember one old fella on brexit day crying saying 'we have got our country back.

Indeed.

Exactly.  It's easier to affect change if your are part of the group you want change in, than it is when staring in the window trying to hear what is being said.  

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

My heart and convictions would still be 100% leave but as it has caused so many staff shortages in our health service and care sector (as Champ alluded to futher up thread) I would probably vote remain, although I'd go to the polling station with gritted teeth.

Remainer. Good on you.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Once more, for those at the back (i.e. GB News viewers)

Angry you ignore the wage correlation for the lowest twenty per cent of workers in this country. You ignore the voice they've been given (no one gave a fivk about haulage workers, fruit pickers, hospitality staff till the labour shortage) they were barely given a second thought for thirty years, they had wage stagnation and were expected to just suck up and see. Brexit blew a bomb on us taking these people for granted. It opened a long needed debate about how much these people should be valued and should be paid. Brexit has thankfully made us all appreciate the low paid workers who pick, deliver and in the hospitality industry cook and serve our food. 

Can't you understand the days of wealthy landowners flying poor Romanian veg pickers in the midst of a pandemic on chartered planes to pick our fruit and veg had come to an end?  We all watched these poor people led of planes to pick our fruit etc and it was disgusting, it was eu capitalism in full veiw. Awful. 

Don't worry about the people or the environment, profit comes first. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-farmers-charter-flights-fruit-pickers-foreign-workers-romania-bucharest-stansted-a9466361.html

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Angry you ignore the wage correlation for the lowest twenty per cent of workers in this country. You ignore the voice they've been given (no one gave a fivk about haulage workers, fruit pickers, hospitality staff till the labour shortage) they were barely given a second thought for thirty years, they had wage stagnation and were expected to just suck up and see. Brexit blew a bomb on us taking these people for granted. It opened a long needed debate about how much these people should be valued and should be paid. Brexit has thankfully made us all appreciate the low paid workers who pick, deliver and in the hospitality industry cook and serve our food. 

Can't you understand the days of wealthy landowners flying poor Romanian veg pickers in the midst of a pandemic on chartered planes to pick our fruit and veg had come to an end?  We all watched these poor people led of planes to pick our fruit etc and it was disgusting, it was eu capitalism in full veiw. Awful. 

Don't worry about the people or the environment, profit comes first. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-farmers-charter-flights-fruit-pickers-foreign-workers-romania-bucharest-stansted-a9466361.html

Staggering. You'd think that such a long post would include something that was either true or relevant, even just by the law of averages, but you managed to avoid any of that stuff. Outstanding work.

14 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Staggering. You'd think that such a long post would include something that was either true or relevant, even just by the law of averages, but you managed to avoid any of that stuff. Outstanding work.

Might not be 'relevant' to you but here's yet another example, 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/25/aldi-gives-second-pay-rise-in-year-amid-high-demand-for-uk-workers

I support the RMT when it comes to pay, conditions and safeguarding services but totally disagree with their stance on Brexit. Freedom of movement is the main reason I voted remain, it’s fundamental. That and the fact that although not everyone who voted to leave was a racist twat, all the racist twats voted that way. The Brexit mob have completely ignored the 48% who voted to stay. There could have been a soft Brexit that took into account the fact that the overwhelming majority did not vote to leave, but plurality of views is not regarded as important to them. If leave had won by the same margin, you can bet that restructuring our relationship with the EU would have followed. The right wing, supported in their stance by some on the far left, all over Europe are agitating to leave, using patriot nationalists calling cards. Fucking horrible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2