You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle Class Generalisation Thread

Section_31

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We were contemplating a Lake District trip and went on Bookings.com at the weekend. Was completely flabbergasted to find lovely places for two nights at around £350 , while YHA places for two bunks in a room for 8 and a shared shower block were around the same price.

Yes, but you’re paying for the ‘experience’, also known as ‘they saw you coming’. 

The wife loves them though and some of them really are in beautiful spots. Shame about the infestation of the middle classes. 

Just spent a weekend in a field at Worthy Farm with an absolute shitload of then. Different breed when it comes to stuff. All good intentions but no clue as to what is happening in the real world outside of their villages and towns.

And they all come dressed as if they were at the actual Glasto festival. 

Weirdo’s.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yes, but you’re paying for the ‘experience’, also known as ‘they saw you coming’. 

The wife loves them though and some of them really are in beautiful spots. Shame about the infestation of the middle classes. 

If the other six people in the dorm were three beautiful couples all at it like stoats , I might consider a night there

Two TV programmes that have captured the middle class (or at least the middle class I'm familiar with) best are Motherland (with the weirdly gorgeous Anna Maxwell Martin) and Lead Balloon (with the weirdly ugly Jack Dee).  I think they reflect the fact that the middle class existence is more precarious than you think; it's only their innate confidence and ability to communicate (and maybe a bit more money) that separates them from the working classes.

11 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I see both of these and raise you Youth Hostels.

The places are crawling with the backpack wearing, pullover loving, nick nac buying, tupperware loving, rose drinking, deviants who guard the members kitchen like it’s their own ‘safe room’. 

Nothing to do with the post, but immediately thought of this;

• Upvote 2

On 26/01/2015 at 10:40, melons said:

What, no mention of the children's names? Tarquin and Quinten were never going to cut in the local comp, were they? 

On 26/01/2015 at 10:56, Trumo said:

The girls will all have names like Poppy, Daisy or Rhododendron.

There's been a backlash to this. The modern Middle Class Baby Name Book is basically the list of characters from the first episode of Coronation Street.

On 23/08/2021 at 17:27, stringvest said:

Two TV programmes that have captured the middle class (or at least the middle class I'm familiar with) best are Motherland (with the weirdly gorgeous Anna Maxwell Martin) and Lead Balloon (with the weirdly ugly Jack Dee).  I think they reflect the fact that the middle class existence is more precarious than you think; it's only their innate confidence and ability to communicate (and maybe a bit more money) that separates them from the working classes.

Lucy Punch's character is the best example of how thin that veneer of confidence can be.

Bank Holiday Monday. Certain places to be avoided today, for those not wanting any kind of contact with the middle classes:

1. The seaside, with the possible exception of Blackpool and parts of Scarborough.

2. Countryside beauty spots.

3. DIY Shops/Garden Centres.

4. Pub/Restaurant chains, catering for families.

5. My mother’s house.

6. Swingers clubs. 

7. Children’s playgrounds. 

8. Market Towns.

9. Anything that could be considered a ‘visitor attraction’.

10. Motorways.

Nobody should assume the above is a complete list. The middle classes are sneaky fuckers and have been known to inhabit all sorts of nooks and crannies. 

It might be best to stay home with the doors locked and curtains closed until tomorrow. 

If you’re middle class and need to avoid yourself then I have nothing. 

15 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Bank Holiday Monday. Certain places to be avoided today, for those not wanting any kind of contact with the middle classes:

1. The seaside, with the possible exception of Blackpool and parts of Scarborough.

5. My mother’s house.

6. Swingers clubs. 

8. Market Towns.

10. Motorways.

Nobody should assume the above is a complete list. The middle classes are sneaky fuckers and have been known to inhabit all sorts of nooks and crannies. 

It might be best to stay home with the doors locked and curtains closed until tomorrow. 

You could have rounded up 5, 6 and 9.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

5. My mother’s house.

6. Swingers clubs. 

8. Market Towns.

10. Motorways.

Townhouse on the Wirral 

• Upvote 1

Posted before but the biggest difference between working class parent and middle class parents, is that working class parents do without to ensure their kids have good stuff, sometimes to ridiculous degrees, i.e skipping meals to make sure the kid has the kind of footy boots that won't get him bullied at school.

For the middle classes that dynamic is reversed entirely. Mum and dad want for nothing and enjoy their favourite wine while the kids share a fruit shoot.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Posted before but the biggest difference between working class parent and middle class parents, is that working class parents do without to ensure their kids have good stuff, sometimes to ridiculous degrees, i.e skipping meals to make sure the kid has the kind of footy boots that won't get him bullied at school.

For the middle classes that dynamic is reversed entirely. Mum and dad want for nothing and enjoy their favourite wine while the kids share a fruit shoot.

that's because the working class are absolutely led by the nose through brand marketing.  

20 minutes ago, stringvest said:

that's because the working class are absolutely led by the nose through brand marketing.  

If anything fruit shoots are underrated. Probably the best thing about going to a kids party with a hangover 

• Upvote 1