You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

chelsea league cup semi final first leg thread

Paco

I hate saying this, but Costa's exactly what we're missing. A quality dickhead.

Lovely little elbow into his head from Skrtel, who played great tonight.

Facing Costa is exactly what it must have been like for other teams last season facing Suarez. I think Costa is more of a snide, sniveling sort, whereas Suarez was a fiery, yappy type of menace.

Both score though, which washes away a multitude of sins. 

• Upvote 1

Facing Costa is exactly what it must have been like for other teams last season facing Suarez. I think Costa is more of a snide, sniveling sort, whereas Suarez was a fiery, yappy type of menace.

Different variations of the same kind of personality for me, though Suarez is a far better footballer.

Why people get so wound up by Mourinho, I have no idea. He's so easily ignored.

Winds me up because he gets away with murder, in the same way Ferguson used to as said above. He cries and cries and cries, gets the odd FA 'sanction' then cries some more, in the meantime refs/press become scared to offend him so bottle decisions.

A performance like this, against their best side in a cup tie, no less, makes me believe we are good enough to win the EL. That's with a true goal scorer in the team, mind, but rumour is we actually do have one, somewhere.

If we carry that sort of form into the Europa League, we definitely have a chance of winning it...

• Upvote 1

We showed those cock holsters how we get down tonight. An iffy penalty and then we got right back at it, started to express ourselves and I think we deserved to win it. We were unlucky in the end. Gerrard sealing the win would have been sweet though. 

I am thoroughly impressed by the way this team has overcome the definite shit phase that we went through, and now it looks as if we are about to have a very decent second half to the season. 

• Upvote 2

I thought we played well, only caught the last ten of the first half, though. It's a shame we couldn't win, now we'll probably have to score at least two in the return leg and I just can't see it.

Mourinho will just sit back and pick us off, just like he did in the spring.

Positive performance though, it needs to be said.

I think a lot of us will be raging we didnt win that once we ve a bit more time to reflect.

Of course, and even more so next week if we go out, but there are still huge positives.

I found tonight utterly cathartic, we were just thrilling to watch again. Sterling and Coutinho are a joy to behold and Can, Moreno and Markovic are beginning to look like top  quality footballers.

We played without fear again, and that's a great thing. Tonight is a great platform for us to build on.

• Upvote 1