You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Analysis: How Lucas controlled the game

WhiskeyJar

Hamann has better posiitoning than Lucas, I just want to clarify that.

But I as much as I rate Hamann and Mascherano, they don't trump Lucas in every department of their games.  They are better holding midfielders all round, but Lucas has strings to his bow that do rival them.

I'd like to know what they are.

Certainly not in terms of ball retention, positioning, tackling, passing, goal threat, reading the game, or influencing it.  

Lucas definitely has better hair (these days), a nicer smile, and is more loyal - although that has yet to be tested by Barcelona coming in for him.

It's the unnecessary use of superlatives for a good performance against submissive opposition.  Gerrard had a great game, as did Henderson.

But you've got a massive blind spot so your opinion is pretty much worthless on this subject.  You wanted him dropped and then he completed 97% of his passes to help us smash Fulham 4-0.  And still you're not even humble enough to admit that you were wrong on this occasion at the very least.   

• Downvote 1

It's the unnecessary use of superlatives for a good performance against submissive opposition.  Gerrard had a great game, as did Henderson.

I thought Gerrard had a great game, was ace seeing have freedom to go forward more with Coutinho dropping back at times.

I thought Lucas was very good, not great but an important cog.

Henderson was great defensively and with his pressing.  But on the ball I think he was sloppy at times, but the pass for Suarez was nice to see.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Hamann has better posiitoning than Lucas, I just want to clarify that.

But I as much as I rate Hamann and Mascherano, they don't trump Lucas in every department of their games.  They are better holding midfielders all round, but Lucas has strings to his bow that do rival them.

As I said before, mate: we are clearly coming at this from two different perspectives. I think that's one of the more ludicrous things I've heard on this forum by any poster. Ever. I generally really like your posts, but we couldn't be further apart on this.

I can be quite concise about Lucas, really; he's a decent player, with pretty much middle of the road attributes, with better than average tackling and significantly below average mobility and positioning (which is why teams find it easy to either pass around him or take it past him). Other than that, he's the best and only defensive midfielder at the club.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But you've got a massive blind spot so your opinion is pretty much worthless on this subject.  You wanted him dropped and then he completed 97% of his passes to help us smash Fulham 4-0.  And still you're not even humble enough to admit that you were wrong on this occasion at the very least.   

Everyone had a good game, apart from the left back.  I wouldn't read too much into that, as Fulham were an exceptionally soft touch.  Gerrard looked like the world class player he singularly failed to do against Arsenal.  

If Allen had played we'd have won 6-0.  No need for humility here.  

Everyone had a good game, apart from the left back.  I wouldn't read too much into that, as Fulham were an exceptionally soft touch.  Gerrard looked like the world class player he singularly failed to do against Arsenal.  

If Allen had played we'd have won 6-0.  No need for humility here.  

No way is Allen better than Gerrard.

I think that's one of the more ludicrous things I've heard on this forum by any poster. Ever.

I don't mind disagreeing, but comments like that get a big fat neg from me.

It not exactly ludicrous saying his passing is just as good,if not better than Mascherano and Hamann.   It is not like I am comparing his passing to Alonso, Gerrard, Pirlo or...

Allen! haha

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It not exactly ludicrous saying his passing is just as good,if not better than Mascherano and Hamann.   It is not like I am comparing his passing to Alonso, Gerrard, Pirlo or...

Allen! haha

Well, you're just going to have to get over the simple fact that I think it's a fucking hideous thing to say. Negging me isn't going to stop be saying what I think of that comment. I stand by it.

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

hardly hideous, just completely and utterly wrong.

For me, to suggest that his positioning, which often gets him caught out, is better than Mascheranos is hideous. To suggest his passing is better than Hamann, in my opinion, is ludicrous. As would suggesting Allen is a better passer than Pirlo. Which, despite some strange dig from LFD, nobody has ever done.

Loves a bit of hyperbole, does NV.  Nothing wrong with what you're saying at all.  Hamann and Mascherano had/have pretty rudimentary passing games (i.e. mostly basic passing but very effective)..  

Was he?  I think they are very similar, keeping it simple but effective more often than not.

Agreed, in general. I think Hamann had a little more range to his passing. He was also an incredibly intelligent player, spotting things very early. Plenty of time for Lucas to continue developing that side of his game here.