You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, on a "free". Just paper talk though I reckon.

When you look at the likes of West Brom, Southampton and others, and think to yourself 'I'd probably swap their midfield for ours', you know something needs to give. It's not so much our individual players, but how we're set up, and how they pair together. Getting somebody like Fernando in January - even if it means paying over the odds - would be a stride in the right direction.

When you look at the likes of West Brom, Southampton and others, and think to yourself 'I'd probably swap their midfield for ours', you know something needs to give. It's not so much our individual players, but how we're set up, and how they pair together. Getting somebody like Fernando in January - even if it means paying over the odds - would be a stride in the right direction.

I like Fernando Reges but my only knock on him would be that he spends too much time on his arse going in for sliding tackles imo.

In terms of priorities for January, I'd go with:

1. Another match winner.

2. Genuine competition for Johnson and/or Enrique (GJ can play on the left so that puts pressure on the Spaniard if a new man comes in on the right).

3. A new central midfielder with no real preference for either a Xabi-type or a Mascherano-type as either one would dramatically improve the same issues, albeit in very different ways.

Who those players should be, I've got no idea as I don't play Football Manager or watch any football bar us. If Xabi is available for a modest fee this January, I'd snap their hands off though.

In terms of priorities for January, I'd go with:

1. Another match winner.

2. Genuine competition for Johnson and/or Enrique (GJ can play on the left so that puts pressure on the Spaniard if a new man comes in on the right).

3. A new central midfielder with no real preference for either a Xabi-type or a Mascherano-type as either one would dramatically improve the same issues, albeit in very different ways.

Who those players should be, I've got no idea as I don't play Football Manager or watch any football bar us. If Xabi is available for a modest fee this January, I'd snap their hands off though.

I agree about another match winner but it has to be a midfielder for me, and I would be willing to sacrifice going for a Xabi type player for that winner as I believe Gerrard could play Xabi's role perfectly especially in his final years as a player. 

I don't think we need competition for a Enrique as Cissokho is here for the season and if all bodes well he could come full time in the summer, plus as you say Johnson can cover a LB also.

Bringing in competition for Johnson's RB position is a definite yes, as I think he becomes complacent.

I would even be looking to sell Enrique if the Cissokho deal works out long term and bring a young promising left back. That is obviously more about the summer than January though. 

A solid, hard as nails central midfielder is key for me, and if they can be a match winner at the same time. A Jimmy Case or Ray Kennedy type (blame all these 'Red of The Day' articles)  then just that type of signing will be enough for me; as it would allow to us to look at building for the next step in the summer with a lot more ease and would make our CL qualification chances a lot more easier. 

Probably not what we need right now, but I'd absolutely love Joao Moutinho, such a great player to have. 

He most certainly is someone we need right now. 

I really like that Adam Maher the young lad who plays for PSV. He is going to be class him. 

I agree about another match winner but it has to be a midfielder for me, and I would be willing to sacrifice going for a Xabi type player for that winner as I believe Gerrard could play Xabi's role perfectly especially in his final years as a player. 

I don't think we need competition for a Enrique as Cissokho is here for the season and if all bodes well he could come full time in the summer, plus as you say Johnson can cover a LB also.

Bringing in competition for Johnson's RB position is a definite yes, as I think he becomes complacent.

I would even be looking to sell Enrique if the Cissokho deal works out long term and bring a young promising left back. That is obviously more about the summer than January though. 

A solid, hard as nails central midfielder is key for me, and if they can be a match winner at the same time. A Jimmy Case or Ray Kennedy type (blame all these 'Red of The Day' articles)  then just that type of signing will be enough for me; as it would allow to us to look at building for the next step in the summer with a lot more ease and would make our CL qualification chances a lot more easier. 

I think it's a toss up between a player to win the ball back or a player who doesn't lose it in the first place in central midfield. My preference is for the latter - just. I love aggressive, mobile, destructive players but I think this team would really thrive with Xabi next to Gerrard. His options for the forward pass would be phenomenal.

I think it's a toss up between a player to win the ball back or a player who doesn't lose it in the first place in central midfield. My preference is for the latter - just. I love aggressive, mobile, destructive players but I think this team would really thrive with Xabi next to Gerrard. His options for the forward pass would be phenomenal.

If we are going to go down that route, I personally would want a young player with the potential to be as good as Xabi rather than the man himself as I am not sure the outlay hat Real would demand is viable (even though I believe Xabi to be one of the greatest passer in the world in the past 15 years) due simply to age. 

If we could get him dirt cheap and bring a younger version of him who could be understudy to great bearded one then I would not be opposed to that. And also have Henderson be an inderstudy to Gerrard. 

Oh you! You have me dreaming of a Xabi and Gerrard midfield partnership again. 

If we are going to go down that route, I personally would want a young player with the potential to be as good as Xabi rather than the man himself as I am not sure the outlay hat Real would demand is viable (even though I believe Xabi to be one of the greatest passer in the world in the past 15 years) due simply to age.

If we could get him dirt cheap and bring a younger version of him who could be understudy to great bearded one then I would not be opposed to that. And also have Henderson be an inderstudy to Gerrard.

Oh you! You have me dreaming of a Xabi and Gerrard midfield partnership again.

Agree mate. I love Xabi, he's my second favourite Liverpool player ever but I just couldn't see it working out this time round, he is physically similar to Gerrard and Lucas in that he's slow and not a physical presence, albeit an unbelievable passer and tactically aware, someone like Xabi at 20/21 would be ideal for us right now. Imagine our team now with our 2009 midfield!

Where would Alonso play if he came back?

Rodgers seemingly won't play Gerrard further forward, so presumably they'd play alongside each other. So we'd still have a central midfield devoid of any pace/physicality/mobility, etc.

He was excellent for us but I wouldn't want him to come back.

I'd have him back today. A player like Alonso creates a place in the team for himself. He would free Gerrard up to prowl further up the pitch as well. 

Fuck me I can't believe anyone wouldn't want him back! 

Mind you, I still hold out hope to see God have a final fling too.... 

Where would Alonso play if he came back?

Rodgers seemingly won't play Gerrard further forward, so presumably they'd play alongside each other. So we'd still have a central midfield devoid of any pace/physicality/mobility, etc.

He was excellent for us but I wouldn't want him to come back.

The logic is a bit weird, I agree.  Hey, look, we're conceding space in midfield so let's start with the one that went 3-0 down in Istanbul.

Which West Brom and Southampton players would you swap for Gerrard?

I'd have him back today. A player like Alonso creates a place in the team for himself. He would free Gerrard up to prowl further up the pitch as well. 

Fuck me I can't believe anyone wouldn't want him back! 

Mind you, I still hold out hope to see God have a final fling too.... 

How?

I'd like a better look at Ben Arfa and Nathan Redmond in January. Not sure if I'd buy, but I'd be very interested in taking them out of the box and having a feel of them.

Also, Gaston Ramirez. Now, he's not set the world alight at Southampton and indeed hasn't started any games under Pochettino, he isn't in favour at all. But we had a sniff around him before he went to them and I just wonder if a loan deal would be ideal for him, us and them. Attacking midfield position, and also a Uruguayan. There's been lots of paper talk about him going to Napoli or back to Italy in general, but maybe we can turn this situation to our advantage.

Plus, probably a game away from adding a lot more teams to this list, but Real Sociedad, CSKA Moscow, Marseille, and Ajax are all but out of the CL now.

Of the key players from those teams, I'd like to seriously consider Viktor Fischer, Alan Dzagoev, Seydou Doumbia, Rasmus Elm, Matthieu Valbuena, Andre Ayew.

I hope Porto go out because we should be shifting trees to get hold of Varela, he's like Ryan Babel but the version that actually works. He's like Nani but bigger and more direct. I'd also spend very big on Quintero at Porto, he's destined to be one of the best attackers in the game.

How many times have we seen Gerrard playing a deep role and pinging the ball up the pitch? Loads.... Imagine Xabi doing it with Stevie up there. 

But Stevie is doing it with a holding midfielder next to him. You're suggesting that we basically play with a deep lying playmaker, and no-one really holding.

Alonso had the protection of Mascherano last time he was here, like he does with Khedira at Madrid.. 4-2-3-1 worked so well because the midfield three all had a specific role, and were utterly fucking brilliant at it.

As good a player as Alonso is I think we'd be signing yet another midfielder who needs to play as the middle of the three.

Been having problems with my back for the last year, laid up quite a bit so I have been playing FM a lot . So as a World Class Manager myself I feel I'm in a position to offer advice on our tactics and transfer strategy.

Now my preferred formation is narrower than Peter Crouch's shoulders but has won me over 100 trophies so I think it will translate. It is 3-1-2-1-3, I call it the Tie Fighter. Emphasis on players with pace, technique and aggression. It is also flexible and can easily become 3-2-1-3-1.

I will list a few players Brendan should look at, some established some not so.

Ter Stegen, Zouma, Romagnolli, Rojo, Crisiteg, Can, Vidal, Enriquez, Eric Torres, Fierro, Lewandowski, Cavani to name but I few I have managed to sign and in certain cases nurture into World Class players.

Now I'm not saying it's easy but I have proved it can be done.