You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Springsteen - The River

Backstreets says a new single is out next week and is adamant that a studio album will follow. Unusually, the single is a cover version of a song called 'High Hopes'. If a new album is coming, can a tour be far behind?

When the 2014 dates went up on the website they never had wrecking ball tour against it like all the 2012/3 dates. I reckon there'll be more dates up after the album is announced.

Going by the rumours the new album is out Jan 20th and this is the tracklisting

1. This Is Your Sword

2. Heaven's Wall

3. Harry's Place

4. Hunter of Invisible Game

5. Frankie Fell In Love

6. The Wall

7. Dream Baby Dream

8. Just Like Fire Would

9. Down In The Hole

10. American Skin (41 Shots)

11. High Hopes

12. The Ghost of Tom Joad

Going by the rumours the new album is out Jan 20th and this is the tracklisting

1. This Is Your Sword

2. Heaven's Wall

3. Harry's Place

4. Hunter of Invisible Game

5. Frankie Fell In Love

6. The Wall

7. Dream Baby Dream

8. Just Like Fire Would

9. Down In The Hole

10. American Skin (41 Shots)

11. High Hopes

12. The Ghost of Tom Joad

I assume the last 3 tracks are the Tom morello ones then and the rest with the regular band?

High hopes is a bit meh for lead single, I really like this though..

Its a good track. Looking forward to the next album.

Agree with JC that Morello looks weird.

Nils Lofgren must be a bit pissed-off given he's one of the best guitarists in the world.

I've seen him 4 or 5 times solo and he is absolutely brilliant.

Really nice guy too. Stays behind after the gigs signing shit and chatting to the fans

What sets Bruce apart is his desire to keep on touring and produce new music. So many of his contemporaries have exhausted their creative pool, or given up.

Its the new music which is key. Plenty of vets doing farewell tours churning out greatest hits sets. Eagles being a good example.

Thats fair enough but with Springsteen you get a different set every night , a 3 hour concert and high proportion of new stuff or rareities you havent seen before. Add to that his stage prescence and the best backing band in the world then and it's whats kept me going to see him for the last 30 years or so

"The River" is part of an astonishing consecutive trio of albums,Born to Run, Darkness on the edge of town, and The River itself. What blows me away is that if you listen to "Tracks" , the songs that didnt make those albums, there is at least another album of material which is equallly as strong. Only the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Beach Boys in the sixties came close to combining quality with quantity like that.

"The River" is part of an astonishing consecutive trio of albums,Born to Run, Darkness on the edge of town, and The River itself. What blows me away is that if you listen to "Tracks" , the songs that didnt make those albums, there is at least another album of material which is equallly as strong. Only the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Beach Boys in the sixties came close to combining quality with quantity like that.

The Promise was mostly what missed darkness alone and they made a double CD out of that and that was absolutely top quality.

I loved " someday we'll be together", but wish they had put on an extended version of "Because the night".

A lot of the Promise stuff was available on outake boots but great to get to get it released ocfciially in decent quality. Its widely belived there is still a fair bit from that era to come out.  The full band version of the Nebraska album exists .  Favourites from the Promise  " One way Street", " The Way" and " Save My Love". 

Cant get enough of Out In The Street at the moment. Might be my favourite song on that album. Hungry Heart rules, of course, but everyone knows that.

I love The River, but it really is the saddest song of all time, perfectly surmises the death of those youthful, innocent hopes and dreams that we all go through at some stage.

"Then I got Mary pregnant // and man that was all she wrote,
and for my nineteenth birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat."

Rough.

Cant get enough of Out In The Street at the moment. Might be my favourite song on that album. Hungry Heart rules, of course, but everyone knows that.

So much to choose from, isn't there? Out in the Street  is a great rocker. Independence Day is such an ambitious subject, and he carries it off, I love the sax solo in it, Little Girl I wanna Marry You",is intimate and personal, but for me "Point Blank" is the killer track.

Darkness

Born in USA

The River

The Rising

Greetings

Born to run

Always thought Born to run was over-rated personally but a lot of big Bruce fans don't rate Born in the USA and totally disregard it. Took me a while to get into the river, mainly due to the shitty production/recording. It desperately needs remastering.

I'm not fussed about born in the USA, I like a lot if the tracks individually, but don't really enjoy it as a body of work. For me at the moment, it would be

1 darkness

2 born to run

3 Nebraska

4 the river

5 either one of joad, rising or maybe even wrecking ball.

But I have to say there's not one I don't like and over the last few years I've probably played the promise more than any of them.

I would have put Darkness top if the production had been better. The likes of Prove it all Night and Promised Land are pale shadows of their live incarnations.

Born to Run feels complete to me, a true album.

Born in the USA is one of my least favourite Bruce albums with Downbound Train and My Hometown  the most satisfying.I have all his albums and was trying to remmber the last time that I played it, and couldn't, which tells its own story.

On topic,The River, for me is one of the great double albums.If it had been condensed into a single album, it would probably have been his best. What would a single album have included? My choice:

Side one

1. "The Ties That Bind" – 3:34
  2. "Sherry Darling" – 4:03
  3. "Jackson Cage" – 3:04
  4.  "Point Blank"– 6:06
  5. "Independence Day" – 4:50
  6. "Wreck on the Highway" – 3:54

Side two

1. "Hungry Heart" – 3:19
  2. "Out in the Street" – 4:17
  3. "Stolen Car" – 3:54
  4. "Drive All Night" – 8:33
  5. "I Wanna Marry You" – 3:30
  6. "The River" – 5:01

I would have put Darkness top if the production had been better. The likes of Prove it all Night and Promised Land are pale shadows of their live incarnations.

Born to Run feels complete to me, a true album.

Born in the USA is one of my least favourite Bruce albums with Downbound Train and My Hometown  the most satisfying.I have all his albums and was trying to remmber the last time that I played it, and couldn't, which tells its own story.

On topic,The River, for me is one of the great double albums.If it had been condensed into a single album, it would probably have been his best. What would a single album have included? My choice:

Side one

1. "The Ties That Bind" – 3:34
  2. "Sherry Darling" – 4:03
  3. "Jackson Cage" – 3:04
  4.  "Point Blank"– 6:06
  5. "Independence Day" – 4:50
  6. "Wreck on the Highway" – 3:54

Side two

1. "Hungry Heart" – 3:19
  2. "Out in the Street" – 4:17
  3. "Stolen Car" – 3:54
  4. "Drive All Night" – 8:33
  5. "I Wanna Marry You" – 3:30
  6. "The River" – 5:01

I though that is almost the "ties that bind" album that never made it - that was cut like this.

1. The Ties That Bind (3:37)

2. Cindy (2:28)

3. Hungry Heart (3:28)

4. Stolen Car (4:33)

5. To Be True (3:54) - aka "Be True"

6. The River (4:54)

7. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (2:12)

8. The Price You Pay (5:51)

9. I Wanna Marry You (3:31)

10. Loose Ends (4:08)

Personally I am really changeable with tracks I like and all that. I would change my mind by the day if I tried to cut the river down from a double to a single disc.