You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Springsteen - The River

• 6 months later...

The River boxset out for Crimbo!

Four CD's and three blu-rays for £80

Loving this after a few listens, bit of a shame it's got a new vocal added much like 'Save my love' but beggars and all that..

Fucking 80 quid? I'd want a fucking blow job as well for that. Can't quite get my head around that for a re-release.

• 4 weeks later...

Bruce Springsteen’s sprawling yet masterful 1980 album The River catapulted him to arena status, and now a making-of docu about that record is coming to HBO. The premium channel said today that The Ties That Bind, named for the LP’s lead track, will premiere November 27.

The documentary focuses on the creation of The River, a thrilling double album that featured Springsteen first top ten hit “Hungry Heart” along with such classics as “Cadillac Ranch,” “Point Blank,” “Out In The Street” and the haunting, cautionary title track. It also will include previously unreleased archival footage from the River Tour, which raised the singer-songwriter’s profile worldwide, and more than 100 recently unearthed photos of Springsteen and the E Street Band during the recording sessions. Also featured are previously unheard demos and outtakes from the 14-month recording process, including such songs as “Stray Bullet,” “Chain Lightning,” “The Time That Never Was,” “Cindy” and “Take ‘Em as They Come".

Emmy-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny showcases Springsteen’s first-person take on his writing process, offering an in-depth discussion on the origins of key tracks from his only double-disc studio set. Springsteen shares how they were developed, from the notebook page to the studio to the concert stage.

This marks HBO’s third making-of docu about a Springsteen album, following last year’s film about the 2014 disc High Hopes and 2010’s The Promise, which focused on Darkness On The Edge Of Town. Zimny , who directed both of those films, also produced The Ties That Bind. Springsteen is an executive producer alongside his longtime manager Jon Landau and Barbara Carr.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/the-ties-that-bind-documentary-springsteen-hbo-premiere-dates-1201611071/

• 3 weeks later...

A US tour with a stripped down E Street Band announced. Hopefully European dates will follow.

MEET ME OUT ON THE ROAD: "THE RIVER TOUR" BEGINS IN JANUARY 2016

Bruce and the E Street Band celebrate Ties with 24 live dates

Christmas comes early, and Hannukah too... and happy new year above all, as official word comes down this morning that Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will reconvene to hit the road in January, for performances through mid-March. The news hits on the same day that The Ties That Bind: The River Collection [DVD / Blu-ray] is released, and there's a direct connection between the two besides mere synergy. Bruce and the band are actually touring behind the box — something they did not do for the Born to Run or Darkness box sets — calling this nine-week North American trek "The River Tour."

Less than a month after Springsteen's December 19 appearance on Saturday Night Live — and 35 years after the original River tour — the 2016 River Tour will begin in Pittsburgh on January 16. Stopping in 22 cities, with 24 shows announced (including two nights at Madison Square Garden and two at the L.A. Sports Arena), the tour will take the E Street Band from coast to coast in the U.S., along with a show in Toronto.

While Springsteen began performing full album sequences in 2008, The River has been performed in its entirety exactly once: November 8, 2009, at Madison Square Garden. While no specific setlist plans have been discussed, we have high hopes for that 20-track feat to be repeated, along with live airings of 1979-'80 outtakes.

Perhaps an indication that Bruce will be downsizing the "E Street Orchestra" of recent tours for this 2016 outting, today's press release lists the E Street Band's members as Roy Bittan, Nils Lofgren, Patti Scialfa, Garry Tallent, Stevie Van Zandt, and Max Weinberg, with Soozie Tyrell, Jake Clemons, and Charlie Giordano.

The announcement also notes: "Each night of the tour will be mixed for release on Live.BruceSpringsteen.net as high-quality downloads and CDs. Recordings will be available within days of each performance."

Seems there's been a social media storm over tickets. Sold out in seconds on ticket master, but available on ticketmasters touting site before the sale began.

Nothing changes with Ticketbastard

I've wasted hours and hours, paid for the priority booking service , got mates to ring up in vain attempts to get Springsteen tickets the past.

Recent years have been ok as they have all been stadium gigs ( which I don''t like sue to the crap sound) but if he's playing Arenas again with a stripped down band I'm delighted but dreading the ticket circus.  

Nothing changes with Ticketbastard

I've wasted hours and hours, paid for the priority booking service , got mates to ring up in vain attempts to get Springsteen tickets the past.

Recent years have been ok as they have all been stadium gigs ( which I don''t like sue to the crap sound) but if he's playing Arenas again with a stripped down band I'm delighted but dreading the ticket circus.

One of the gigs I went to on the last tour was Cardiff. It was perfect for a stadium gig, they used half the stadium, with the stage on the half way line and closed the roof. Because of how compact the millennium is, it felt like an arena gig. Sound was brilliant.

One of the gigs I went to on the last tour was Cardiff. It was perfect for a stadium gig, they used half the stadium, with the stage on the half way line and closed the roof. Because of how compact the millennium is, it felt like an arena gig. Sound was brilliant.

I went to Wembley last time and the sound was diabolical

Others that stick in my mind that were dreadful were Emirates and Hyde Park (twice)

To be fair I have been to few that were good. Crystal Palace, Ethiad and Gillette / Boston 

Anyway hope we get a few Arena gigs next year.

I went to Wembley last time and the sound was diabolical

Others that stick in my mind that were dreadful were Emirates and Hyde Park (twice)

To be fair I have been to few that were good. Crystal Palace, Ethiad and Gillette / Boston

Anyway hope we get a few Arena gigs next year.

Every time I've been to Hyde Park it's been shit. As you say, let's hope for a few arena gigs, although it makes tickets impossible.