You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Springsteen - The River

It all hangs together and works as a great work.

Can't disagree with that. When you think about what was left over from the Darkness sessions and didn't get on 'The River', it's amazing how prolific a songwriter Springsteen was (and is). I'm listening a lot to 'The Promise' at the moment and that's astonishingly good and yet it's stuff thought unsuitable for either 'The River' or 'Darkness'

Can't disagree with that. When you think about what was left over from the Darkness sessions and didn't get on 'The River', it's amazing how prolific a songwriter Springsteen was (and is). I'm listening a lot to 'The Promise' at the moment and that's astonishingly good and yet it's stuff thought unsuitable for either 'The River' or 'Darkness'

The Promise is great. A lot of the stuff had done the rounds on out-takes and bootlegs for years but to finally get them out officially in good quality was brilliant

• 1 month later...
Going to watch this tomorrow night

Then off to watch the real thing at Cardiff on Tuesday. Seen Bruce 6 times in just over 12 months and just started to come to terms with the fact that this could be the last time for a while..

I was in Cardiff last night too. What a laugh, fucking brilliant. Has to be said though, strangest set list of all time.

"This little light of mine".... Right time to get on my train from cardiff to sleep and sober up!

Edit...

This Little Light of Mine

Long Walk Home

Adam Raised a Cain

Prove It All Night

(Sign Request)

T.V. Movie

(World Premiere, Sign Request)

Cynthia

(Sign Request)

Roulette

Death to My Hometown

We Take Care of Our Own

Wrecking Ball

Spirit in the Night

Hungry Heart

My City of Ruins

We've Gotta Get Out of This Place

(The Animals cover) (with Eric Burdon)

Boom Boom

(John Lee Hooker cover)

Cadillac Ranch

Summertime Blues

(Eddie Cochran cover)

You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

Pay Me My Money Down

Shackled and Drawn

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

(Bruce was joined on stage by ... more)

The Rising

Badlands

Encore:

Tougher Than the Rest

Born to Run

Ramrod

I'm a Rocker

Dancing in the Dark

(Fans danced with the band onstage)

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

Shout

(The Isley Brothers cover)

This Little Light of Mine

(Reprise)

Encore 2:

Janey Don't You Lose Heart

(solo acoustic)

Thunder Road

(solo acoustic)

Edit Setlist

Went with a mate who's a casual Bruce fan' date=' felt a bit sorry for him as he didn't have a clue with most of the set list. Was great for me as I hadn't heard most of that live. Gutted I'm not seeing him in Leeds tonight.[/quote']

It looked like another completely different set at Leeds. My mate I was with is a casual Bruce fan, but he still enjoyed it. His only gripe was him singing "this little light" twice. He was fuming (we were both hammered). Which in turn his fume amused me greatly, probably making it the highlight of my night! Haha. Fantastic show though, just gutted its probably gonna be a few years till he does it all again.

• 2 months later...

Looks like he'll be back next year too. Rumours of a new album and dates already in the diary early next year for Australia again - and notably on the website they are not listed as wrecking ball tour (no tour name assigned yet). Would be made up if another 18 months of touring starts again next year - was lucky enough to see dates on 2012 and 2013 wrecking ball tour, that was as good as any tour from the past.

I remember when he and Costello had a minor spat, and I was always a Costello fanatic, so fell out with Bruce a bit over that. The River is a magnificent album though. And Bruce and Elvis get on fine now, witness the big Os Black And White Night and countless other Tv and concert appearances since. Springsteen is a giant.

For the 1st time in years, maybe 20 years, I've gone back and listened to The River. Dunno why I haven't before. I often listen to a lot of Bruce bootlegs and don't always go back to original albums. But I wanted a little blast of "sherry darling" one day last week and let the whole thing play. I've not stopped since. What an incredible body of work it is, don't think I've ever really thought it was quite so good before - and maybe as a younger man I didn't think it was, but I've been blown away by it. It's almost like listening to a new album, even though I know all the songs.

Great shout mate , love this album . The live '75 - '85 box set is also fuckin' ace ,his cover of  "This land is your land"   is just the dogs.

He is a top , top bloke and his support of the miners in the 80's just showed what a class act he is . I also remember his debut in the late 70's ( I think)  , brilliant song writer , one of the best

I remember when he and Costello had a minor spat, and I was always a Costello fanatic, so fell out with Bruce a bit over that. The River is a magnificent album though. And Bruce and Elvis get on fine now, witness the big Os Black And White Night and countless other Tv and concert appearances since. Springsteen is a giant.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, got it off eBay for a tenner, only just flicked through it so far but it looks ace. Did you watch Springsteen & I? Recommend it if you haven't? Bruce appears in the extras a basically confirms he's greatest human being on earth.

Yeah saw that, was on a long flight last week and read the mag and watched springsteen and I - although some of those fans were clearly slightly mental!

Is there anything greater than watching a Bruce live set? Just completely lifts my spirits watching him work his magic. Hero.

Nothing comes close for me. I haven't bothered with any gigs since Bruce at Cardiff, not in a snobby way but just don't feel like I'm missing anything. On another note there's this German lad who goes to all of Bruce's gigs and films them in HD from the pit and then collects everybody else HD footage and makes videos like this.

(Can't post the vid for some reason? But just search Rosalita Wembley and watch dvddubbingguy video)

Got the whole Wembley gig on blu-ray for £30. Recommend it if you want to relive the night again, totally worth it as the quality is spot on and you'd pay £25 for a t-shirt at most gigs.

Yeah saw that, was on a long flight last week and read the mag and watched springsteen and I - although some of those fans were clearly slightly mental!

Have you seen the extras that come with the DVD? Don't want to say to much and spoil it but Bruce invites some of the fans from the film to a gig in Copenhagen and meets them backstage.

There is nothing to compare to a live show, for the evening and a little while after it completely alters your view of life.

Nothing comes close for me. I haven't bothered with any gigs since Bruce at Cardiff, not in a snobby way but just don't feel like I'm missing anything. On another note there's this German lad who goes to all of Bruce's gigs and films them in HD from the pit and then collects everybody else HD footage and makes videos like this.

(Can't post the vid for some reason? But just search Rosalita Wembley and watch dvddubbingguy video)

Got the whole Wembley gig on blu-ray for £30. Recommend it if you want to relive the night again, totally worth it as the quality is spot on and you'd pay £25 for a t-shirt at most gigs.

See, these are the answers of people who have seen him live and know just how fucking good it is. Even seeing his Seeger Sessions stuff was totally brilliant, just a complete show and the retooling of his own songs into that style was fantastic.

Have you seen the extras that come with the DVD? Don't want to say to much and spoil it but Bruce invites some of the fans from the film to a gig in Copenhagen and meets them backstage.

I haven't mate, only seen the main show. I have seen an interview with Bruce where he talks about bumping into the guy who hates his music but has to travel everywhere with his wife. It's funny watching that fella, he says something like "I go to some great places I wouldn't have otherwise gone, have a brilliant weekend that is ruined by 4 hours at a springsteen show". It reminded me of how some of our European aways used to be!