You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

With the defence so deep Lucas and Gerrard are being asked to cover too much space. Henderson is in a wider position so can't give the type of cover he provided last season. Covering this amount of space leaves Gerrard and Lucas knackered on the 60 minute mark. Brendan can either tell the defenders to push up and compress the space or start subbing Gerrard and Lucas on the 60 minute mark. I think this will happen more often when Allen returns to full fitness.

I guess we'll see a Henderson/Gerrard partnership in the middle at the weekend now, I for one look forward to it.

On current form, it will be an improvement. But it's still very far from ideal. I certainly wouldn't fancy it against stronger opposition. Personally, I think we need three in the centre until we sign a more physical and mobile replacement...

• Upvote 1

With the defence so deep Lucas and Gerrard are being asked to cover too much space. Henderson is in a wider position so can't give the type of cover he provided last season. Covering this amount of space leaves Gerrard and Lucas knackered on the 60 minute mark. Brendan can either tell the defenders to push up and compress the space or start subbing Gerrard and Lucas on the 60 minute mark. I think this will happen more often when Allen returns to full fitness.

Partially agree. I think the problem starts further forward though, with Sturridge's half-hearted aoproach to our pressing. When there's no pressure on the ball, the defence is forced to minimise the room in behind. Moses is not exactly doing a stellar job in that respect either. I think we'll look a lot better (both defensively and when attacking) once our forward players gain more match fitness.

Gary Medal 12mil quid to Cardiff looks an absolute beast of a holding midfielder, played a stormer the other week when Chile drew with Spain. Gareth Barry, loan to Everton. Ericson 11.5mil to spurs.

Put them three in our squad and the bench and competition for midfield places would look a whole lot stronger. For a cost of less than 24mil.

"Dynamic", "athletic", "mobility".. Fucking kill me.. Carrick isn't any of the above and he's amongst the best CMs in the league. Busquets isn't either, and he's arguably the best DM in the world.

On the other hand, Sissoko is all of the above and no one wants him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Upvote 1

"Dynamic", "athletic", "mobility".. Fucking kill me.. Carrick isn't any of the above and he's amongst the best CMs in the league. Busquets isn't either, and he's arguably the best DM in the world.On the other hand, Sissoko is all of the above and no one wants him.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Carrick or busquets would struggle being asked to do the job currently being asked of our centre midfield. That's why having someone to provide a bit of efficiently ussd energy and strength is needed.

We have been scouting sissoko from newcastle this season. Would take him or Diame. We need some legs in the middle. Im all fir converting Henderson though. Hes got the lot but needs some tackling lessons off gerrard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sissoko - he had a great start but has he not fizzled out? Has anybody watched newcastle games this season to tell us how hes been doing

I'm still at a lose to understand why Rodgers didn't strengthen our midfield. Look at Arsenal, Whiltshire, Carzolla, Ramsey, Arteta and Ozil all in competition for places.

To be fair, some of those are attacking midfielders, not centre midfielders.

I think Lucas and Gerrard have had too much criticism this season - they are a reason why we are 2nd in the league.

We could do with some more energy, but they are not the liabilities people are making out.  They are doing a good job.

Allen beefed up during pre-season. He had his best 6 games for us in DM position. He was bloody brilliant. He's faster over the ground than Lucas?

NO NO NO!

He is still light weight and not suited for DM.

So whats the point in Joe Allen? Not quite skill full enough to be further forward too lightweight for DM. Shame as I think he has something to offer.

He's a box to box midfielder and if played should be in the role Gerrard is currently playing, not Lucas.

NO NO NO!

He is still light weight and not suited for DM.

Have to agree. He got easily pushed aside a number of times laat season. He needs to be the outlet and link between defence and attack. DM just Isn't his position. Easy to see why Lucas is there and he does a good job at it if you ask me.

But Allen, he is exactly the sort of player we need to add more flow to the play. Far too static in the middle. So the question would be what formation should it be? 3412 with the central defender pushing up as a CB/DM with Gerrard and Allen as the centre 2 perhaps.Dropping Lucas. Or 433 with Gerrard as the head of the triangle and Allen and Lucas in front of the defence? Hendo loosing out. Hard to know but good to have the options if everyone is fit.

So whats the point in Joe Allen? Not quite skill full enough to be further forward too lightweight for DM. Shame as I think he has something to offer.

Good question, some Welsh guy will soon be along to give you the answer.

• Upvote 4