You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Band Names..

Stouffer

Had a mate in a band called "Suicidal Youth". Told him him it was incredibly pretentious but had to agree when he told me that it was an objective for his music rather than a description

Some other friends in a band called ""Shanghai Noodle Factory" which was cool until they told me it was named after a Traffic song

I used to live in Melbourne and there was a band knocking around called 'The Fish John West Reject', which always made me smile. Plus a couple of others called 'This Is Serious Mum' (TISM, if you want to YouTube them...) and 'The Von Trapp Family Crisis'...

The Fugs is the best band name ever in my opinion.

Sweary/rude ones are a bit 13 year old aren't they? Puns also have a bit of a limited amusement in my book. A rude pun band name is the equivalent to a TLW forum handle like STEVIEGThEBeSTEVA! .

Pixies is a great band name as well.

I was watching an interview with them once, and they explained they used it because it was stupid and didn't really mean anything. One of the guys in the room at the time just said "No, thats not it at all". Wouldn't elaborate as to why. The fuckwit. I would believe the band to be honest.

• Upvote 1

I don't get what's good about "The Fugs" and "The Pixies", the names seem pretty boring to me.

I've never really thought about it before. I guess that, for me, what makes the name interesting is that it isn't. Interesting, that is.

Given how clever the Pixies lyrics and forceful the music, you would expect them to have something deeper or more thought provoking as a name, to grab peoples interest. Thats why I like it, anyway. That they were willing to say "forget the name, its not important. The music is.".

I don't get what's good about "The Fugs" and "The Pixies", the names seem pretty boring to me.

Well I reckon simple but fine sounding band names are the best, particularly so if they are a little bit apt. I think Fug is an excellent word, so I like the name.

I don't get Hudu's love of Pixies - even though I like the Pixies.

Well I reckon simple but fine sounding band names are the best, particularly so if they are a little bit apt. I think Fug is an excellent word, so I like the name.

I don't get Hudu's love of Pixies - even though I like the Pixies.

Love is a little strong where the name is concerned, although I certainly love their music.

I think its a great name, but as I said I'd never really thought about why.

I have always thought The Pixies is amongst the best band names ever. It's the contrast with the music that I like, maybe.

I'm sure there was once a thread about it as I defo remember typing those words before.

The more I think about it the more I think almost all band names are shit. Coldplay? U2? Mumford & Sons?

Coldplay is terrible - doesn't make sense and doesn't sound good.

U2 at least rhymes, can be a bit of word play is open to some graphic design and was a WW2 bomber or something. Nothing too terrible about that.

Coldplay is terrible - doesn't make sense and doesn't sound good.

U2 at least rhymes, can be a bit of word play is open to some graphic design and was a WW2 bomber or something. Nothing too terrible about that.

We're clearly on to ends of a band name appreciation spectrum broheim.