You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Liverpool player has won the PFA Player of the Year Award twice in twenty five years, and all of a sudden some are desperate for our players to be loved, some who have gone soft. KK won it once in his entire career, and now whether Luis wins it is seen as having some great significance. It doesn't.

I beg to differ.

If Luis was to win this award, or any other award, it would be a slap in the face of "those" using any chance they get to have a go at him.

If we look back to the previous season and the treatment he received from most before, during and after the eight game ban, I´d say Luis winning it this year would be of significant value. It would be a sign of respect that´s been missing for too long and seen as a small retribution on Luis´s behalf.

The fact it´s "the year after" makes it all the more important in my book.

I`m not desperate for our players to be loved by others, but I´m desperate for Luis to get the acknowledgement he deserves and to still want to be in Liverpool FC.

Call me soft, but he´s our bundle of joy, what´s not to love?

Stuff like that happens when your club let you be branded a racist.

They'll "move on" we were told. Right.

Exactly. Remembering that whole episode brings me out in hives.

God I fucking hate Evra. Cunt.

I disagree with people being unequivocal about Suarez being player of the year. Certainly I think he's the best player in the country and has had a better season than any other player; that said, Robin Van Persie's contribution has been directly responsible for his team winning the league title. As far as contributions go, nothing eclipses that. That's why I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be given the award.

They are the two contenders, though, in my view. Nobody else can credibly claim to belong in the conversation.

Hmm I disagree. You see, people keep talking about how he has been responsible for them winning the title but hes scored 1 in his last 9 - thats a quater of a season. If he was so pivotal for the first half of the season then why aren't they struggling at all now?

Their dominance this year has more to do with City's capitulation than it does their brilliance. They weren't that much worse last season - and RVP wasn't there banging them in. He is a great player and one of the best but crediting him with winning their title is a bit much. If you want to credit anybody, credit Mancini.

Does anybody know how many points they'd amassed this time last year? Can't imagine it being too many less.

I disagree with people being unequivocal about Suarez being player of the year. Certainly I think he's the best player in the country and has had a better season than any other player; that said, Robin Van Persie's contribution has been directly responsible for his team winning the league title. As far as contributions go, nothing eclipses that. That's why I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be given the award.

They are the two contenders, though, in my view. Nobody else can credibly claim to belong in the conversation.

What's the purpose of the award though?

Is it best player overall throughout the season because as you said, if that's the case it has to be Suarez.

If it's best player to contribute to a successful team then I suppose you could argue for Van Persie.

It doesn't matter though, I doubt very much that it would be Suarez for a a couple of reasons. As highlighted by other posters our players don't seem to win it often and, Suarez has an on-going agenda against him by most "pundits" and journos though whether this is the case with the players themselves is largely unknown seeing as we only get the odd story about a player willing to say they hate him and feed into said agenda - even then Williams is the only one I can remember.

For me it doesn't really matter anyway. Individual awards are not what a team game is about, and though I'm sure the players enjoy winning them I'd be surprised if that many really fret over whether they do or not.

I don't get the van Persie contributing to winning the league argument otherwise the whole united squad would be ahead of Suarez, its not his fault he's in a weaker side. Its an individual award and Suarez has been far and away the best player this year, the most consistent too. Barret gave that reasoning on LFCtv and I just thought what a load of shit.

Can't recall watching this pre- any match, on LFCtv or SSN.

Voiceover seems Trans World Sports type clip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cE1PvTWALd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Suarez has become a key player for club and country, but he admits that Liverpool are enduring a "difficult moment" as they languish in seventh place, in danger of losing out on European competition.

Uruguay's footballer Luis Suarez gives an interview with AFP, after a training session on March 19, 2013, in Montevideo.

"We have to realise we have a new manager who is imposing a philosophy and a way of playing that the players are adapting to as best we can," he said, referring to Brendan Rodgers. "We hope that it will bear fruit next year."

Suarez said he was "very happy" and under contract at Liverpool, but he acknowledged that "you never know in football" and that "a player's ambition is always there, the ambition of wanting to play in elite teams is always there.

"I'm in a world-class team, an elite team like Liverpool.

"And if another team comes around with more prospects of competing in international club competition games, which is willing to have (me), they are welcome.

"We would talk to the club, we would see if I want to go, if I don't want to go," he said.

He voiced his admiration for Barcelona and Real Madrid and the "incredible" Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, but he said that he was more drawn to the "class and quality" of Barcelona's Andres Iniesta.

AFP.com