You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite ever non-Liverpool side

Section_31

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some quality sides have already been mentioned.

A couple I loved watching:

Marseille 1993 side that beat Milan in the European Cup.

Barthez, Angloma, Di Meco, Boli, Sauzee, Desailly, Eydelie, Boksic, Voller, Pele, Dechamps (capt).

Didn't they also have Waddle? Doesn't look like he started the final.

I also liked the Inter Milan side which competed with AC Milan in the late 80s early 90s. AC Milan were the better side and got all the headlines however that Inter side was still really good:

Zenga, Klinsmann, Brehme, Matthaus, Bergomi etc.

But my favourite non LFC side to watch is that untouchable Arsenal side. How that side never won the Champs League was baffling.

Brazil World cup squad 1982

Is right!! Waldir Perez, Leandro, Oscar, Junior, Cerezo, Falcao, Socrates, Eder, Zico and on and on- best team Ive ever seen play the game! Most of these played for Flamengo- and they gave us a total lesson in the World Club Cup the previous December too- 3-0 at half time. Like Istanbul but without then seeing Stam get his nose rubbed in it.

A quality footballing side was Dynamo Kyiv (Ukrainian spelling - the Russian way is 'Kiev') in the late 90s, with Shevchenko and Rebrov up front, with Lobanovskiy as manager. I remember watching them play Arsenal at Wembley in the Champions League, and but for some good last ditch defending from Arsenal and a little wastefulness in front of goal, Dynamo would have won that match. As it was, the Arsenal of Vieira, Petit, Overmars and Bergkamp were hugely fortunate to grab a 1-1 draw. So often you hear the phrase 'passed off the park' when talking about teams having so little possession in a game, but it was absolutely true in that game. The year before, Dynamo had bummed Barcelona 4-0 at the Nou Camp with Shevchenko getting a hat-trick.

A quality footballing side was Dynamo Kyiv (Ukrainian spelling - the Russian way is 'Kiev') in the late 90s, with Shevchenko and Rebrov up front, with Lobanovskiy as manager. I remember watching them play Arsenal at Wembley in the Champions League, and but for some good last ditch defending from Arsenal and a little wastefulness in front of goal, Dynamo would have won that match. As it was, the Arsenal of Vieira, Petit, Overmars and Bergkamp were hugely fortunate to grab a 1-1 draw. So often you hear the phrase 'passed off the park' when talking about teams having so little possession in a game, but it was absolutely true in that game. The year before, Dynamo had bummed Barcelona 4-0 at the Nou Camp with Shevchenko getting a hat-trick.

That's a top call.

The Champions League was like a study in Darwinism, there were less clubs in it back then but fuck me the quality was high. They were in a group with Juve and the mancs weren't they at one point?

We were linked with their centre back Oleksandr Holovko quite a bit I remember but went for Song instead.

Croatia circa 96-98

Shout! I remember saying to a mate back them e/w for the World cup and he just laughed, how right i nearly was.

Some of mine that i can remember now....

Brazil 1970, 1982, 2002.

Sacchis Milan side and a few more of them, i think capellos side went unbeaten in Serie A.

This Barcelona side and Spanish side.

Red Star Belgrade up until that European cup final.

Argentina 86 just coz of him.

That Croatia side mentioned.

Real Madrid galaticos.

I'll be back with more....

Turkey 2002 - That team played some great football in WC02, hadn't heard of most of them until then, now remember a lot of their names!

On the subject of the Turkish national team, I absolutely loved their Euro 2008 side. Some of the matches they were involved in were brilliant.

Came from one down to beat Switzerland with a last minute winner, then came from two down to beat the Czechs with a goal five mins from time to qualify from the group. Scored less than a minute after Croatia bagged one in the last minute of extra time and then beat them on pens, and were really unlucky against Germany in the semis and went out to a last minute Lahm goal after equalising five minutes from the end themselves!

I remember hearing a mental stat at the time that, combined, they only led for a total of five minutes throughout the tournament, yet they managed to make the semis.

Like the Sociedad team which took Real Madrid to the wire for the league title. I'm sure it was mostly home-grown players and a classy combination of Nihat and Darko Kovacevic up front. It was also when I met the world, it was when I first met Xabi Alonso; he couldn't have been anymore than 22 at the time, but he was already a legend.

On the subject of the Turkish national team, I absolutely loved their Euro 2008 side. Some of the matches they were involved in were brilliant.

Came from one down to beat Switzerland with a last minute winner, then came from two down to beat the Czechs with a goal five mins from time to qualify from the group. Scored less than a minute after Croatia bagged one in the last minute of extra time and then beat them on pens, and were really unlucky against Germany in the semis and went out to a last minute Lahm goal after equalising five minutes from the end themselves!

I remember hearing a mental stat at the time that, combined, they only led for a total of five minutes throughout the tournament, yet they managed to make the semis.

Colin Kazim Richards was a starter in that team too.

Like the Sociedad team which took Real Madrid to the wire for the league title. I'm sure it was mostly home-grown players and a classy combination of Nihat and Darko Kovacevic up front. It was also when I met the world, it was when I first met Xabi Alonso; he couldn't have been anymore than 22 at the time, but he was already a legend.

Ill never forget Xabi's free kick that season. Someone passed it back to him and from about 30 yards out he chipped it up and caught it with the sweetest volley you could ever hope to see, straight into the top corner. My first Xabi memory.

Fuck I love Xabi