You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official 2013 Ashes Thread

A_S

We're by no means clear, Smith and Haddin could both cause some havoc. These are the next two key wickets for me!

That's for sure. When you put up a miserable score like 215, all it takes is for one partnership to stick and the game changes. The opening session tomorrow will be crucial for me: shift Smith early, then I'll really like us to crack on, and you know the batsmen will badly want to atone for today.

Great way to start the series.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My observations.

1. England's batting line up is frail.

2. Fortunately, the Aussies are even more frail.

3. This England team would get beaten up by the 05 England team.

4. Calibre of cricket won't be that high in this series but it should be exciting.

5. Jimmy Anderson's ball to Clarke was as good as I've seen.

Just got to work, tired as fuck after only a few hours sleep, but worth staying up. As some have mentioned, the standard of cricket wasn't always the best, but you could forgive the players that, being the first day of an Ashes series.

Watson went a bit too hard at a decent ball, fucked if I know what Cowan was doing there and it is a good thing that Anderson saved that for a top, top batsman in Clarke or people wouldn't appreciate how good that ball really was. A fucking belter. I personally thought Rogers was very unlucky and had every right to review his LBW, but a technicality allowed the (IMO) poor decision to stand.

Smith has done well in two things- finding quick singles and putting shit balls away. He still looks like he will give a few chances with that loose technique, but even if he can hang on for a good 50-odd and one or two batsmen can hang around, Australia should be near enough to England's 215 to be right back in the game. I mentioned that Australia's tail goes ok with the bat and fortunately they have probably picked the strongest 'batting' 8,9 and 10 in Siddle, Pattinson and Starc. They will be needed for crucial runs tomorrow.

250 would be excellent from here.

Oh, and RB, I'm an Aussie :)

Due to my selfish wife I've seen about 35 minutes play in total today and am having to make do with just an hours highlights.

My thoughts are;

* Pattinson whilst having great potential is a twat.

* Siddle is a ginger Aussie Pikey and I'm fucked off with our batsmen making him look better than average.

* If Kev had half the dedication he has ability he'd be the best batsman in the world.

* This Aussie side is shite and whilst we have batsmen out of knick Cook, Trott, Bell and Kev won't be shit all series.

* Not many test will last 4 days let alone 5.

* The Aussies won't win a test. 3-0, with a close draw and a test ruined by weather.

Due to my selfish wife I've seen about 35 minutes play in total today and am having to make do with just an hours highlights.

My thoughts are;

* Pattinson whilst having great potential is a twat.

* Siddle is a ginger Aussie Pikey and I'm fucked off with our batsmen making him look better than average.

* If Kev had half the dedication he has ability he'd be the best batsman in the world.

* This Aussie side is shite and whilst we have batsmen out of knick Cook, Trott, Bell and Kev won't be shit all series.

* Not many test will last 4 days let alone 5.

* The Aussies won't win a test. 3-0, with a close draw and a test ruined by weather.

Bell will be shit all series unless he is playing with someone else who hits a big score then he might get passed 30.

Bad finish.

Cowan stinks!

I could understand it more if he had poked at a wide ball, at least it would have shown he was trying to do the right thing, but wasn't in. Flashing that hard on his first ball though, just terrible.

England might still lead by 50-75 on first innings.

Even if Australia break even, England should score enough to win, bowling last.

A target of 200 would be ample.

Whilst it was an entertaining and even opening day, I think it still gave a good indication of where the Series is headed.

All England's way.

Show me a fast bowler who isn't a bit of a cunt and I'll show you a shit fast bowler.

Being 'a cunt' can include any/all of:

* Bowling bouncers with intent to injure/hurt

* Words with the batsman after every other delivery, especially the good ones

* Glaring at the batsman

* Big send-off after claiming the batsman's wicket

Pattinson, Siddle, Anderson and Broad all comfortably fit this category, with Finn and Starc still making their way.

Fucking ace and adds so much to the series.

Show me a fast bowler who isn't a bit of a cunt and I'll show you a shit fast bowler.

Being 'a cunt' can include any/all of:

* Bowling bouncers with intent to injure/hurt

* Words with the batsman after every other delivery, especially the good ones

* Glaring at the batsman

* Big send-off after claiming the batsman's wicket

Pattinson, Siddle, Anderson and Broad all comfortably fit this category, with Finn and Starc still making their way.

Fucking ace and adds so much to the series.

It's all too much of an act with him mate.

There's great potential there don't get me wrong and he'll probably be your best bowler this series but glaring at the batsman when you've just sent down a shit loopy wide bouncer makes you look a prick not hard or intimidating.

It's all too much of an act with him mate.

There's great potential there don't get me wrong and he'll probably be your best bowler this series but glaring at the batsman when you've just sent down a shit loopy wide bouncer makes you look a prick not hard or intimidating.

I think it is a serious case of white line fever with him. Add to that his brother's English experience and that he sees his role as that of a strike bowler, it makes more sense why he is always so intense.

No doubt it looks a bit stupid when you've just bowled a pie, and he was very erratic at times yesterday, but he eventually got it right. Ask Broad.

I think it is a serious case of white line fever with him. Add to that his brother's English experience and that he sees his role as that of a strike bowler, it makes more sense why he is always so intense.

No doubt it looks a bit stupid when you've just bowled a pie, and he was very erratic at times yesterday, but he eventually got it right. Ask Broad.

This. I just don't buy it, it's a load of bollocks and is just an act.