You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Swansea Carling Cup match thread

fowler9

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a swansea team who lost their best central midfielder (Allen), best attacking midfielder (Siggurddsson), best winger (Sinclair) and a very good young center back (Caulker) in the close season. They were without their first choice Goalie, Left Back, Right Back and their main striker.

They should have been bummed and bummed hard.

Oh come on. They've replaced them with Ki and De Guzman (Allen), top goal scoring spaniard in la Liga Michu (Sigurdsson), Pablo Hernandez who is a massive upgrade on Sinclair and Chico Flores who, while probably not as good as caulker, isn't really a massive downgrade.

We started the game with Jones, Carra, Henderson at right back, Cole, Downing and Yesil. None of whom should be anywhere near the first team. They had pretty much their first choice side out.

Tonight was poor but let's not make out it was worse than it was.

Does being fucked off with how things are going equate to thinking Rodgers is a Sunday league manager then? Really?

I'd like to think I've got a bit more imagination.

Equally, does thinking going out of the carling cup tonight perhaps isn't a fate worse than death equate to me being some sort of happy-clapping spastic thinking we're the best team in the country? No. It doesn't.

However, things aren't quite as bad as some of the doom mongerers on here would like to believe.

Equally, does thinking going out of the carling cup tonight perhaps isn't a fate worse than death equate to me being some sort of happy-clapping spastic thinking we're the best team in the country? No. It doesn't.

You said that, not me!

However, things aren't quite as bad as some of the doom mongerers on here would like to believe.

I can't remember them ever being worse in terms of results. And no I'm not going to lower myself to making the comparison with where we were at the same point with Hodgson. That coincided with the club being brought to it's knees financially and being dragged through the courts in a fight for survival.

You said that, not me!

I can't remember them ever being worse in terms of results. And no I'm not going to lower myself to making the comparison with where we were at the same point with Hodgson. That coincided with the club being brought to it's knees financially and being dragged through the courts in a fight for survival.

You've either got a short memory or you missed the second half of last season then...

Do people see players moping around on the pitch, not really giving a fuck, or quite simply a small squad of players (and some average ones in there), which forces the manager to rest key players due to prioritising some competitions higher than others?

For me, the player retention (as well as duds being offloaded) over the summer was as important as the ones brought in. I sincerely believe the players are buying into what the manager is doing, but it's not going to happen overnight. He's playing the kids in crucial games, a massive show of faith that has already and (IMO) will continue to reap rewards.

Probably going to sound like a fucking broken record, but we just need to be patient.

Do people see players moping around on the pitch, not really giving a fuck, or quite simply a small squad of players (and some average ones in there), which forces the manager to rest key players due to prioritising some competitions higher than others?

For me, the player retention (as well as duds being offloaded) over the summer was as important as the ones brought in. I sincerely believe the players are buying into what the manager is doing, but it's not going to happen overnight. He's playing the kids in crucial games, a massive show of faith that has already and (IMO) will continue to reap rewards.

Probably going to sound like a fucking broken record, but we just need to be patient.

Amen to that

Zigackly? "I can't remember them ever being worse in terms of results."

November 2002 - January 2003 Enough said.

This little lot? (Recent results) are so-so by comparism to the sheer unadulterated trash & their uninspired dirge that comprised our 'football' team & 'playing style' (in names alone) back then. As to now? We're wildly swinging in our performances from utterly battering Everton who in turn monstered United at the start of the season & giving City a similar pummeling, dismantling Norwich on their own patch for the second time in 5 months through the clinical (ha ha) dispatching & shutouts against Reading & Anzi, the roller coaster horror show that was the Udinese debacle, the turgid shite served up against Stoke & the routine (haha again) Home battering of Gomel? We've gone right through down to the 'performances' served up against Arsenal, West Brom' & tonight of which the less said? The better.......

In fact? Calling it "Roller Coaster" doesn't begin to cover our journey/ride on the pitch since the season started & something tells me there will be a lot of twists & turns on the road ahead for us yet. We've barely begun but the longest journeys? Begin with a single step - that step? Has now been made - Where it will end up in us going? Remains to be seen & on that one? Time will tell - sooner or later? Time will tell.................

Hmm Gerrard was in That team to & a decade (& more) later we're Still looking to his particular brand of magic when in a fix (of our own making). Methinks there's a message there - Not that Any of our fans of late want to recognise that - never mind read it.................

NB BTW? Swansea didn't fine tune what their doing to that level overnight - It's taken them since February 2007 (more than a half a decade ago) & Four managers for them to master it - we're by comparism only what? 4 months into such a project; Give us time &? Patience Will bring it's own rewards, mark my words...............

Edited by Redshadow

It is not about playing the kids. Not about patience. Not about showing faith to everything Brendan has done. Its about the club going down to the drain rapidly. He is not helping. Nor he is doing anything.

It is about him having no fucking clue what he suppose to be doing. Winning games. Choosing the right tactics. Choosing the correct formation. Selecting the right substitution at the right time. Choosing the right players for the right game. He dont have any of that. He is an average manager.

Time would not benefit him and his ideas. A good manager would have settled the team easily. We have the right players. Decent youngsters. But wrong manager. Sad but true. He will not prove me wrong. He is as good as gone. We're going down. Going down fast with him as our Manager.

I enjoy night games and thought that the attendance, and atmosphere, helped by a strong south wales following was good last night. Joe Cole disappointed, Luis demonstrated once again that when he concentrates on football and getting in goalscoring positions he is amongst the best in the PL on form.

The result is not as big a shock as some suggest. Swansea have more league points than us, have won more games, lost fewer, scored more goals and conceded fewer. Jenkins is far more experienced than Ayre/FSG, Laudrup’s playing and managerial experience trumps Brendan’s.

Rodgers is still learning. This is only his second PL season and he will make mistakes, we knew that when we appointed him. Some around me were restless tonight, but patience is required. We started off very slowly and Rodgers needs to ask himself why, but he will learn and improve. The EL is far more important in retaining our better players and gaining vital euro experience, all is not lost.

Those carping that we won the competition under Kenny should remember that we did so in a final against a Championship side that we failed to beat in open play in 120 mins.

Our league form has been picking up, I am confident of further encouraging league results and tonight’s defeat will soon be consigned to history.

Stewart Downing........£20 million. Every time I think about how much he cost, and then see how shit he is I just want to kick the cat/scream/cry/howl at the moon, ARGGGGGHHH

Downing wasn't bought to play the BR way. Neither was Suarez for that matter

Swansea have more league points than us, have won more games, lost fewer, scored more goals and conceded fewer. Jenkins is far more experienced than Ayre/FSG, Laudrup’s playing and managerial experience trumps Brendan’s.

Oh ok, when you put it like that everything is fine and we should all stop worrying.

It's only Swansea's second season in the top flight and they have a new manager too and had to replace some of their best players over the summer.

I'm not advocating that Rodgers be sacked or anything and I realise it will take time to get us punching our weight again, but nothing about his performance as manager so far is remotely good enough.

That is, rightly, a cause for concern for many.

Sorry but the faith I had in Rodgers from the start was small and it is dwindling

I predicted he would be out by Christmas based on our early performances but we then started to perform better, now we are going backwards. We are not on the same level as Man U, City, Chelsea etc so putting out a weakened side was fool hardy and would be frowned on as we are (were) the holders. He should know how good Swansea can be on their day, they are better than when he was in charge.

What is it with Liverpool we always seem to have certain ingredients but always have one missing.

With Roy Evans we had the team but not the right manager or team mentality.

Houllier blew it with bad signings at the wrong time plus his heart problems when we were gaining a good reputatuion home and abroad.

Rafa the closest we have come since the 80's but got himself embroiled in club politics and lost all focus.

Hodgson, awful tactics, awful signings crap manager

Kenny left with a team shot to pieces confidence wise and shorn of some world class talent just to balance the books due to C&A. However he was too stubborn for his own good when it came to some of his signings and team selection (how long were people on this forum begging Kenny to give Stirling a chance?). Thats and being hung out to dry by those in the boardroom.

Rodgers putting together a young and talented team but lack leadership or experience in key positions. His tactics and team slection is letting him down. His handling of Carroll will live long in my memory at least, disgusting and embarassing to him, Andy and the club. He obviously is focused on attacking play but has absolutlely no idea about defence and neither does his backroom. We were tighter than a ducks arse under Rafa, what the hell is going on?

FSG have backed themselves into a corner now.

After the last transfer window which left Rodgers with egg on his face what will they do?

Back him completely and hope he doesn't do a Kenny/Commoli transfer harikiri (now they have abandoned the stadium move they should theoretically have more financial wiggle room) or stick to their guns and make him jump through hoops like some circus pony to get them to release funds? That stupid show intended to promote the club has left us looking like guests on the Jeremy Kyle show (before he went to America!). I doubt they'll sack him now even if they wanted to, how would that look in America, as that, like all businessmen is what they're afraid of, their public image and anything that could damage it. Rodgers refusal to have a DoF is going cripple him to the extent it may even hasten his depature from the club, but not by Christmas.

Edited by The Acolyte

Oh ok, when you put it like that everything is fine and we should all stop worrying.

It's only Swansea's second season in the top flight and they have a new manager too and had to replace some of their best players over the summer.

I'm not advocating that Rodgers be sacked or anything and I realise it will take time to get us punching our weight again, but nothing about his performance as manager so far is remotely good enough.

That is, rightly, a cause for concern for many.

I don't understand this response. We all knew that goals weren't going to come easily this season, when we failed to sign two more Attackers... Hell, I thought it was going to be worse than it has!

We all knew that we'd have an up/down season (or should have) and finish around midtable-ish (7th to 10th or so).

So... what the fuck did yesterday change to suddenly make it so bad?

Zigackly? "I can't remember them ever being worse in terms of results."

November 2002 - January 2003 Enough said.

This little lot? (Recent results) are so-so by comparism to the sheer unadulterated trash & their uninspired dirge that comprised our 'football' team & 'playing style' (in names alone) back then. As to now? We're wildly swinging in our performances from utterly battering Everton who in turn monstered United at the start of the season & giving City a similar pummeling, dismantling Norwich on their own patch for the second time in 5 months through the clinical (ha ha) dispatching & shutouts against Reading & Anzi, the roller coaster horror show that was the Udinese debacle, the turgid shite served up against Stoke & the routine (haha again) Home battering of Gomel? We've gone right through down to the 'performances' served up against Arsenal, West Brom' & tonight of which the less said? The better.......

In fact? Calling it "Roller Coaster" doesn't begin to cover our journey/ride on the pitch since the season started & something tells me there will be a lot of twists & turns on the road ahead for us yet. We've barely begun but the longest journeys? Begin with a single step - that step? Has now been made - Where it will end up in us going? Remains to be seen & on that one? Time will tell - sooner or later? Time will tell.................

Hmm Gerrard was in That team to & a decade (& more) later we're Still looking to his particular brand of magic when in a fix (of our own making). Methinks there's a message there - Not that Any of our fans of late want to recognise that - never mind read it.................

NB BTW? Swansea didn't fine tune what their doing to that level overnight - It's taken them since February 2007 (more than a half a decade ago) & Four managers for them to master it - we're by comparism only what? 4 months into such a project; Give us time &? Patience Will bring it's own rewards, mark my words...............

You know, you always make excellent points when I bother reading your posts, but the random highlighting of words numbs my thought processes.