You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Kitson

Stu Monty

I went to see his new show tonight in Manchester, "It's always right now", and it was magnificent. I went expecting a normal stand-up gig but he pretty much just tells the story of two people's lives through captured moments in time. One life goes from young to old, the other from old to young and he paints brilliant pictures with words for those moments. It's packed with laughs, moments of real sadness, hope...it's just fucking brilliant really.

If you can get to see it then do so. He doesn't put DVDs out so I doubt you'll ever see this if you don't catch it live. He's as good as it gets for comedy and he's now spreading his wings to more challenging stuff, it's great to see.

So many great turns of phrase and well fleshed out thoughts that I've pretty much forgotten already, it's a shame I'll never get this on DVD.

Go see it; seriously.

• 1 year later...

Tickets for a week of shows in Manchester have just gone up on the site of the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester. If you are in the North West then you'd be a fool not to go and see him. Tiny little theatre, £12 a pop, it's a no brainer.

It probably won't be straight up comedy (no details yet, no name for the show) but I'm actually hoping it's more of the same along the storytelling lines. Tiny clip of something he did recently:

7itrqtMs1qY

The Prof (RIP) put me on to this, hoping to sort some tickets tonight or tomorrow if it hasn't sold out. We went to see his latest show at the Lyceum here and it was stupendous, my tiny mind can't fully comprehend everything he said but it was as funny an insight into human nature as you'll ever see.

He's a genius.

• 2 years later...

I've just been to see Mouse at the Everyman.  It's on until 28th May, so make sure you get to see it.

http://www.everymanplayhouse.com/whats-on/mouse-the-persistence-of-an-unlikely-thought

It's (more or less*) a one-man play about a writer who gets an unexpected phone-call which leads to him telling the story of the novel he's working on, while discussing the nature of friendship and relationships and stuff.  It's also, very, very funny.

* It also features a recorded voice, which I reckon is Isy Suttie.

• Upvote 1

My mate watched his 'Tree' show and said it was single handedly the worst 'entertainment' experience of his life.

Either this show is radically different (as different as a Tree and a Mouse?) or your mate is rubbish.

There was one bloke there last night who resolutely refused to crack a smile at anything - Daniel Kitson incorporated that into the show.

It's worth signing up for the newsletter if you want to see him. He only seems to do small venues and tickets are always cheap. Best stand up I've ever seen.

Yeah I get that email. Last time he did full shows I spent ages trying to get tickets on the phone then they had all gone.