You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jen Chang, New Head of Communications?

WaltonRed

I agree with the first bit of what you say, but not the second.

Ayre should have been sacked for pretty much every aspect of the Suarez debacle. I agree that in the face of an incompetent, inexperienced MD, and a domineering manager, there was little that Cotton could do other than conduct the orchestra on the decks of the Titanic.

I wholly disagree that: “Any fan getting upset about this appointment really needs to step back for a bit.”

Being Coms Director is about news management. It’s about setting the agenda for 24 hour TV news, internet boards and radio. It’s about having friends in Fleet St, in the local media and in TV and radio, particularly Sky Sports. It’s about taking the heat off the manager at press conferences by providing a steady stream of club information to fill up column inches, and choosing which key journalists to feed exclusives to in order to ensure that you can call upon support and help when you need it to either spike stories, or soften them. It’s about anticipating adverse stories, and having spoilers and briefings ready.Man U and Chelsea, and more recently Man City, have made this into something of an art form. Cotton failed pretty miserably at all this.

Jen Chang working for SI, in one time zone of the United States ( although the same one as Boston, surprise, surprise) is a wholly inadequate figure to take this demanding role.It is the latest in a seried of FSG sub standard appointments.

However anyone can rise to a challenge, and people deserve a chance, I wish him well.

Good post x. It would seem destined to be a less effective appointment than any, and the agenda will continue to be driven by the papers with little influence from the club.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don
I agree with the first bit of what you say, but not the second.

Ayre should have been sacked for pretty much every aspect of the Suarez debacle. I agree that in the face of an incompetent, inexperienced MD, and a domineering manager, there was little that Cotton could do other than conduct the orchestra on the decks of the Titanic.

I wholly disagree that: “Any fan getting upset about this appointment really needs to step back for a bit.”

Being Coms Director is about news management. It’s about setting the agenda for 24 hour TV news, internet boards and radio. It’s about having friends in Fleet St, in the local media and in TV and radio, particularly Sky Sports. It’s about taking the heat off the manager at press conferences by providing a steady stream of club information to fill up column inches, and choosing which key journalists to feed exclusives to in order to ensure that you can call upon support and help when you need it to either spike stories, or soften them. It’s about anticipating adverse stories, and having spoilers and briefings ready.Man U and Chelsea, and more recently Man City, have made this into something of an art form. Cotton failed pretty miserably at all this.

Jen Chang working for SI, in one time zone of the United States ( although the same one as Boston, surprise, surprise) is a wholly inadequate figure to take this demanding role.It is the latest in a seried of FSG sub standard appointments.

However anyone can rise to a challenge, and people deserve a chance, I wish him well.

'Domineering' fucking manager! Are you having a mare?

You dont have a fucking clue. Dalglish was doing more than just defend Suarez, he was defending the club against united steamrollering the whole affair.

People want someone to stand up to ferguson and when we have a manager who does that, he's fucking 'domineering'?

Fuck that right off.

'Domineering' fucking manager! Are you having a mare?You dont have a fucking clue. Dalglish was doing more than just defend Suarez, he was defending the club against united steamrollering the whole affair.People want someone to stand up to ferguson and when we have a manager who does that, he's fucking 'domineering'?Fuck that right off.

San Don, when it comes to analysing games, you are as good as anyone. Go off the pitch, and you are hopeless, but entertaining.

KK is arguably the greatest man in the history of the club, as a player, a manager and as a man. He does what he wants. A journeyman PR guy v KK? No contest.

KK was the team manager, he became embroilled in matters outside his brief and remit purely because of the ineptitude of Ayre primarily ( who by some accounts was scared of him which was a major factor in KK's departure) who failed to lead.

We are watching a watering down of the club structure so that Ayre can manage it. That is a disgrace.

Guest San Don
San Don, when it comes to analysing games, you are as good as anyone. Go off the pitch, and you are hopeless, but entertaining.

KK is arguably the greatest man in the history of the club, as a player, a manager and as a man. He does what he wants. A journeyman PR guy v KK? No contest.

KK was the team manager, he became embroilled in matters outside his brief and remit purely because of the ineptitude of Ayre primarily ( who by some accounts was scared of him which was a major factor in KK's departure) who failed to lead.

We are watching a watering down of the club structure so that Ayre can manage it. That is a disgrace.

That bit I've bolded, shows why you know fuck all. Kenny was defending his and our club (you'd do well to remember that) but also be the one with knowledge how united work under ferguson and how to combat them.

But like I said, every post of yours is just agenda driven shite to the same music just a different rythme.

That bit I've bolded, shows why you know fuck all. Kenny was defending his and our club (you'd do well to remember that) but also be the one with knowledge how united work under ferguson and how to combat them.

Well he didn't do a particularly good job of it then did he.

Seeing as Liverpool lost every single battle in the Suarez case.

The whole thing just showed up the lack of competence at every level within the club to be able to deal with such a situation.

Well he didn't do a particularly good job of it then did he.

Seeing as Liverpool lost every single battle in the Suarez case.

The whole thing just showed up the lack of competence at every level within the club to be able to deal with such a situation.

He was left to deal with it by absentee club management.