You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

I think we are well aware our pull isn't what it was even a couple of years ago. But that doesn't disguise the fact the first XI needs strengthening. And that takes money. That's the bottom line, funnneee

Lets just pay the first eleven more money then. £200k a week, instant world class players.

We're a Dodge Viper, whereas CL clubs are F1 cars, and the top players are F1 drivers. Sure, we look and feel class but we're not compatible with the worlds best players, because the very best players NEED to compete at the top level, it's a basic requirement.

No amount of money is going to persuade the very best to forego the CL.

A good example is Man City's first couple of seasons of wealth and the players they attracted:

2007/08

Elano £8m

Bianchi £8m

Bojinov £6m

Caceido £5m

Corluka £9m

Petrov £5m

2008/09

Jo. £18m

SWP £9m

Robinho £32m

Bridge £10m

Bellamy £14m

De Jong £16m

Zabaleta £7m

Kompany £6m

2009/10

Barry £12m

Santa Cruz £18m

Tevez £25m

Adebayour £25m

Kolo Toure £18m

Lescott £22m

Adam Johnson £11m

Bear in mind, after all this spending, still no CL. This is what happens to clubs with money but no CL, you wade through absolutely shite to find diamonds.

But by this point they had finished 5 th and players could see that they were serious and on the cusp of competing for CL.

2010/11

Boating £10m

Yaya Toure £24 m

David Silva £24m

Kolarov £16m

Balotelli £24m

Milner £18m p/x

Dzeko £27m

Ta da, 3rd place.

Now, can you see the difference between the final season and the the other three? Absolutely sodomised without CL, the 'big spending' happened but quality control did not. This is the problem we have, and thankfully we already have quality control in place, we aren't going to pay £20m for shite anymore, like Kenny did, like City did.

Spurs broke into the CL based on what?

Spurs broke into the CL in 2009/10 after the previous two seasons they finished 11th and 8th.

Their top signings in 2009 were

Crouch £10m

Kaboul £8m

Bassong £8m

Kranjcar £3m

And in the previous season it was

Modric £16m

Gomes £8m

Bentley £15m

Pavlyuchenko £14m

Corluka £9m

Defoe £9m

Palacios £12m

Chi bindi £4m

Keane £16m

All it took for Spurs was a little time, a little luck, and Bale and Lennon coming good.

Clearly LFC have played the Suarez situation very well. We only hear and see what the media get to see but obviously there is stuff going in the back ground all the time. Initially, Suarez was mouthing off at the International comp in Brazil. What exactly could the club do at that stage other than wait til he comes back and speak to him? Since then we have been absolutely spot on with what has been done. These manchild super rich football players need adults to tell them whats going on and thats how we played it.

However, we now need to build on retaining one of the best players in the world. Two or three more additions and we will be right in the mix for CL. I have no doubt about it.

We absolutely need another CB. Even if Papa is injured, get him in. He has the right attitude and will take no shit. We need more leaders and this is something Rodgers has identified and spoken about. Get this lad in from Bayern if possible, then we need another addition to midfield. Some would prefer a DCM others would prefer ACM. Im OK with either, so long as they have a similar mentality as, again, we need more men on the field.

Guest San Don
Does anybody remember when funneeeee was calling for adam morgan to be picked ahead of suarez? Or coady instead of gerrard?

No not really. Got a link?

This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 9m

Brendan Rodgers says #LFC's move for Diego Costa is off and there's nothing in Cissokho speculation

As much as I applaud them over the Suarez situation, our net spend must be going into reverse. A team who finished seventh really needs more than that.

No, I agree, FSG have to spend. But you were complaining about the Suarez situation and I was responding to that.

Ah bit of a mix up i think there.

What i was trying to say was that i hope John Henrys comments (and the timing of them) about Suarez dont deflect from the fact our squad Still needs key re-inforcements in the right areas.

Our owners are by no means the worst. they are decent, prudent, men. But they stand no chance of delivering success on the pitch for us.

As for City, since when did football fans start arguing about the moral standing of owners?

Jesus, Xerx - it's not really that long ago since Liverpool fans were campaigning against the corrupt prick who went to City.

Liverpool deal under fire - Telegraph

(And if you want to know what I think of that, read the Heggem quote below.)

Does anybody remember when funneeeee was calling for adam morgan to be picked ahead of suarez? Or coady instead of gerrard?

Yep, when Suarez wasn't scoring and Morgan was scoring goals for funin the ressies, I made that call.

As for Gerrard, no, don't think that happened like that, but pointing out that he CAN be dropped if he didn't fit the style.

Detail son.

Of course we've improved the squad this season, it's plainly obvious that we have, Aspas looks ready to cause teams havoc, and Toure shits on any of our existing centre back options, Mignolet is an improvement on Reina, and Luis Alberto already looks more useful and adaptable than Shelvey. Other than that, you're right...

Allied to that, we're trying to give players like Ibe and Sterling a chance to breathe, rather than just signing some shite journeyman like Downing to rob game time ahead of them.

What do you want FSG and Rodgers to do exactly? You don't even know, you just want us to see us announce new signings regardless of their actual quality, because new players must obviously be brilliant, because they're new like.

Shithouse thread this, needs fucking off, classic finger pointing from fucking boobs.

Improved squad maybe time will tell if Aspas is as good as Downing, Alberto as shelvey! But look at around the time of FSG take over top players have left and never replaced!

My point is the first 11 hasn't improved and it showed today! Toure for Carra, mignolet for Reina aren't improvements for me!

Aspas arguably is but still not near good enough to challenge for too four in my opinion.

Ah bit of a mix up i think there.

What i was trying to say was that i hope John Henrys comments (and the timing of them) about Suarez dont deflect from the fact our squad Still needs key re-inforcements in the right areas.

This.

FSG are a PR machine look at what they have done already! We should never have such blind faith in owners until they have proven year in year out especially with what happens with the last two cowboys!

I really think that if FSG knew what they know now no way would they have bought us and this worries me. Especially with all our high earners been replaced because of their wages rather than football reasons.

Year after year we are sinking deeper into mediocrity and sadly a lot of our fans are accepting it

This.

FSG are a PR machine look at what they have done already! We should never have such blind faith in owners until they have proven year in year out especially with what happens with the last two cowboys!

I really think that if FSG knew what they know now no way would they have bought us and this worries me. Especially with all our high earners been replaced because of their wages rather than football reasons.

Year after year we are sinking deeper into mediocrity and sadly a lot of our fans are accepting it

We finished 8th in 2012 on 52 points and 7th this year on 61.

Still not very good, but we have not sunk further into anything.

I would be slightly worried if this is the final squad for the season, but I still think that the squad which starts this season is stronger than the one that started last season.

As for 'net spend' I am sick of it, it was never talked about until 5 years ago or so.

We have not made a profit since 2007 or something like that and you cannot spend money you do not have....and don't give me that they should 'dip into their own pockets'.

We finished 8th in 2012 on 52 points and 7th this year on 61.

Still not very good, but we have not sunk further into anything.

I would be slightly worried if this is the final squad for the season, but I still think that the squad which starts this season is stronger than the one that started last season.

As for 'net spend' I am sick of it, it was never talked about until 5 years ago or so.

We have not made a profit since 2007 or something like that and you cannot spend money you do not have....and don't give me that they should 'dip into their own pockets'.

I wasn't arsed googling it 7 or 8th it's all the same i guarantee our squad had proven top players more than there is now.

And again squad is arguably better but first team is still the exact same as the one that finished 7th last year and we are meant to get in the top four? Keep dreamin mate.

Guest San Don
This Is Anfield ‏@thisisanfield 9m

Brendan Rodgers says #LFC's move for Diego Costa is off and there's nothing in Cissokho speculation

As much as I applaud them over the Suarez situation, our net spend must be going into reverse. A team who finished seventh really needs more than that.

If the players dont want to sign or the player is just using our interest to get a better deal out of his existing club, what do you want us to do, sign anyone then complain we're buying quantity not quality?

We've no european football to attract the top tier players and those just beneath. To many players at clubs not in europe, we dont appear to be that 'step up' they want. The 'we are Liverpool' doesnt appear to hold much water to them.

While I'd welcome some big name players signing right now, I'd rather we didnt just sign anyone to satisfy the negative net spend argument.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If the players dont want to sign or the player is just using our interest to get a better deal out of his existing club, what do you want us to do, sign anyone then complain we're buying quantity not quality?

We've no european football to attract the top tier players and those just beneath. To many players at clubs not in europe, we dont appear to be that 'step up' they want. The 'we are Liverpool' doesnt appear to hold much water to them.

While I'd welcome some big name players signing right now, I'd rather we didnt just sign anyone to satisfy the negative net spend argument.

I agree we shouldn't be wasting money. Absolutely not. Buying to satisfy the hoards of angry villagers won't do us any good. However, I refuse to accept that there's nobody out there willing to join us who is good enough for us. Eriksen?

Guest San Don
I agree we shouldn't be wasting money. Absolutely not. Buying to satisfy the hoards of angry villagers won't do us any good. However, I refuse to accept that there's nobody out there willing to join us who is good enough for us. Eriksen?

Im not saying there arent better quality players out there who'd sign for us such as the two lads at Ajax. But what if one or both of them want a more watertight clause than suarez has ie CL club bidding after 2 seasons, we must sell, in their contracts.

What then? Do we go, ok and agree or do we say the fuck no. If you want to sign, good, but, no release clauses in the contracts and risk them signing for someone else?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Im not saying there arent better quality players out there who'd sign for us such as the two lads at Ajax. But what if one or both of them want a more watertight clause than suarez has ie CL club bidding after 2 seasons' date=' we must sell, in their contracts.

What then? Do we go, ok and agree or do we say the fuck no. If you want to sign, good, but, no release clauses in the contracts and risk them signing for someone else?[/quote']

*shrug*

Yeah, it's not fun.

"we're here to win" is the easiest sound-byte in football.

Of course they are, they just want to do it without a stadium or investment. I'm sure every other owner in world football would like the same thing, but lifes a shithouse.

If you don't move forward, you're going backwards, and that's what we're doing. Whether anyone admits it or not.

This a transcript from Henry didnt see it posted from a couple of days ago' date=' Henry gave in Oslo, sounds like he is expecting big things from Rodgers...

High expectations eh.

[/quote']

Written on a phone?

Wouldn't any decent journo use a pad and pen or a dictaphone?

Or make it up?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
"we're here to win" is the easiest sound-byte in football.

Of course they are, they just want to do it without a stadium or investment. I'm sure every other owner in world football would like the same thing, but lifes a shithouse.

If you don't move forward, you're going backwards, and that's what we're doing. Whether anyone admits it or not.

No we're not, whether you admit it or not.