You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

12 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

A mate of mine contracting at the BBC did the ad billboards/posters for it... and I thought they were quite graphic and fresh, as far as cricket ads go.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 5.19.37 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-11 at 5.19.13 am.png

The guy's a walking leg before playing around his pad like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

That must have come as a great surprise and massive disappointment to you.

I've enjoyed the commentators forgetting that overs no longer exist and nor do the counties.

The flashing graphics that look like something from an 90s arcade machine have been another highlight.

13 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Was hoping to do it again this year, before Covid obviously. 2017 Boxing Day was, without doubt, the worst day of cricket I've ever seen, Lifey. Still fucking enjoyed it, though!

It was thoroughly boring. The only highlight would have been had Warner got out on 99.

I got completely pissed in "The Blazer Bar."

Can't remember getting home, around 7pm, immediately passed out on the couch.

My 6yo daughter apparently tried to wake me up to say something, gave up, and walked away down the corridor, casually mentioning to my wife:  "Dad's dead."

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s just a fun comp. is there a place for 50 overs, 20/20 and the 100? Probably not, but the players and teams have obviously been told to go for it.  

i'm sure it's fine.

Haven't watched it.

It's the BBC's stab at moving past 1953.

And I think Pathé are doing a good job covering the competition.

I look forward to their next bulletin in the Cinema, voiced by the AI Ted Dexter.

14 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

i'm sure it's fine.

Haven't watched it.

It's the BBC's stab at moving past 1953.

And I think Pathé are doing a good job covering the competition.

I look forward to their next bulletin in the Cinema, voiced by the AI Ted Dexter.

Ah, you’ve not watched it.  Ok. The rest of the post is, well. You know. 

1 hour ago, s(k)aturation said:

It was thoroughly boring. The only highlight would have been had Warner got out on 99.

I got completely pissed in "The Blazer Bar."

Can't remember getting home, around 7pm, immediately passed out on the couch.

My 6yo daughter apparently tried to wake me up to say something, gave up, and walked away down the corridor, casually mentioning to my wife:  "Dad's dead."

Brilliant! Your daughter's obviously a stoic one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Ah, you’ve not watched it.  Ok. The rest of the post is, well. You know. 

What, me joking?

Yes, that's what the rest of my post is.

As I posted, a little prior to my "joke" one, I have a friend working at the BBC who does the Hundred advertising.

I feel I'm in a position to engage in a little levity on the matter.

I'm prepared to bet, sight unseen, that's the concept is not a million miles from the principal of the T20 format... which I find, boring, a bit shit and not my of idea of what's good about cricket - after all, T20 produced David Warner.

Which makes me rest my flimsy case somewhat.

6 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Totally agree. They need sorting. The cricket itself though is exciting.  

Why fuck with a tried and tested format though? 

T20 is the biggest money making format in cricket, it’s not my favourite (actually it’s my least) but why fuck with that just to be different? 

The ECB introduced T20 as a format for professional cricketers to play regularly and then missed out on the millions (billions if you include India?) by their stuffy, outdated and conservative nature. 

This is just a marketing gimmick to try and be different. 

Why the fuck couldn’t they have just done a proper T20 tournament with free to air coverage? 

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’d imagine that there is a copyright issue with having another T20 competition.  

Im just enjoying seeing loads of cricket.  There are fewer teams so the standard is amazing.  Boundaries and wickets galore. 

How? The ECB already have a T20 competition, they just reorganise that rather than weaken it (unless you mean running two together?). 

But the calendar is already fucked and introducing a new competition when the fixture list was already cramped is just daft. 

And the franchise system is just bullshit! 

7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

How? The ECB already have a T20 competition, they just reorganise that rather than weaken it (unless you mean running two together?). 

But the calendar is already fucked and introducing a new competition when the fixture list was already cramped is just daft. 

And the franchise system is just bullshit! 

They’ll have a licensing agreement for a T20. Why would they then allow competition to that product?  This is just a bit of theatre.  Enjoy it on that basis. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

They’ll have a licensing agreement for a T20. Why would they then allow competition to that product?  This is just a bit of theatre.  Enjoy it on that basis. 

So you make the competition you have better, not introduce another one at the detriment of test cricket and all other domestic cricket.