You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its best that we all prepare ourselves for the inevitable borefest of defensive football.

:biggrin:

25 goals in 13 games in 2011, 19 scored in this qualifying campaign, with one game to go.

I think what is more worrying is our mate Ronnie claiming we were getting "overrun", by a 10-man team getting a free kick and a corner.

Now which is better? Donetsk or Kharkov??

It really amazes me the attitude of Irish fans.

This is, by some distance, the worst squad of Irish players to qualify for a major finals ever. Not one genuine world class player, and half the team plays in the lower leagues. Getting us there is an amazing feat. Yet all I hear is how the football's shite and he shouldn't get a new contract.

In some ways I actually hope they do get rid of him and we bring in a manager who plays lovely attacking football and then we can go to the Euros and attack Spain and Holland and Italy and England and get murdered 7-0 in each game, and then you can all sit back and pat yoursevles on the back because at least the football's pretty.

Un-fucking-believable.

This is, by some distance, the worst squad of Irish players to qualify for a major finals ever. Not one genuine world class player, and half the team plays in the lower leagues. Getting us there is an amazing feat. Yet all I hear is how the football's shite and he shouldn't get a new contract.

In some ways I actually hope they do get rid of him and we bring in a manager who plays lovely attacking football and then we can go to the Euros and attack Spain and Holland and Italy and England and get murdered 7-0 in each game, and then you can all sit back and pat yoursevles on the back because at least the football's pretty.

Un-fucking-believable.

It's a squad of limited ability in the world game, but it has achieved several feats this year. But we hoof the ball a bit, and that's more important to some people.

For 70-80 years, we played neat, passing football, and it got us nowhere. No other coach would have got this team to a qualifying tournament. Not even Paul Jewell.

Edited by mypost

He hasn't run his course yet though, you buffoon. He's just got Ireland to a major championship (surely), so I don't think he's done yet.

Its the most he's going to do with the team. He's 72. He's done what we was brought in to do. He deserves a new contract and I'm sounding like Im being ungrateful when I'm not but lets not pretend he's going to do more wonders when he wont. Although, I hope Im dead wrong come June.

Un-fucking-believable.

Un-fucking-believeable is right!!!!!!!!!!! not too long ago another fella got us to the WC and because of the Roy Kean issue that went on in Saipan they wanted the manager out.

I actually know lads that went down to the FAI on Merrion Square at the time and protested, demanding that McCarthy be sacked over the Keane episode. Fucking bone-heads!!!!

Bare in mind aswell that McCarthy had us playin decent football aswell.

Now you have this lot wound up again saying we dont play attractive football, even though we are just about to qualify for a first championship in 10 years and they want this fella fucked off, i just dont understand the brain power of some people.

Lastly 4 us of sat in a pub last night watching the match, and 2 of them had been moaning about the way we were playing up untill the end of the first half and start of the second half. I was biting me lip and saying nothing, then Walters put the second in and the pub went balistic and to my surprise most of the patrons around bar were we were sitting start throwing abuse at the lads that were with us, telling them to go support the North and all sorts.

What im saying is that there is some good support there for the country, but there is also some absolute planks in there as well, and the planks allways seem to make the most noise

Its the most he's going to do with the team. He's 72. He's done what we was brought in to do. He deserves a new contract and I'm sounding like Im being ungrateful when I'm not but lets not pretend he's going to do more wonders when he wont. Although, I hope Im dead wrong come June.

He's done a lot in the past 4 years. It's sad that it's not appreciated.

He'll be there for 2014, he has more to do, and is on a personal mission to correct what happened in the last World Cup campaign.

Edited by mypost

So getting to a major finals with this average squad of players is "the most he's going to do"?

Can i ask Robbie what did you think he would achieve? Win the world cup?

Christ above. Hes worked wonders to get us this far to be in (barring the unthinkable and losing 5-0 to estonia tonight) a major finals. First time in 10 years. Wish everyone would pull in the same direction and get behind the team. Instead its all about Trap and his "negative tactics".

So getting to a major finals with this average squad of players is "the most he's going to do"?

Can i ask Robbie what did you think he would achieve? Win the world cup?

Christ above. Hes worked wonders to get us this far to be in (barring the unthinkable and losing 5-0 to estonia tonight) a major finals. First time in 10 years. Wish everyone would pull in the same direction and get behind the team. Instead its all about Trap and his "negative tactics".

Its the most anyone is going to do.

Its the most anyone is going to do.

So why get rid then? Why risk getting someone else in who may not be able to get the maximum from the team? What sense in that?

With the extremely limited resources we have, this team pulls together like none other and has qualified for the European Championships for the first time in 24 years (probably before you were born) with a squad which is probably the weakest since even before Germany ’88.

This rubbish about us playing “nice” football is guaranteed to result in one thing, and that is heavy losses. European football, unlike club football with its 55 games a season, is about results and results alone. You get those results in the way you can. Trap has done that and we are going to the Euros baring a disaster for the first time in a life time for our younger fans. The mind boggles at the idea of fans wanting him out. Some of our fans really have amazing delusions of footballing grandeur.

There’s too many Eamon Dunphy’s is this bloody country.

Trapattoni's nostril hairs have forgotten more than most people know about football. He's done a fantastic job with a pretty average group of players.

It also says enough that his main critics deified Andy Reid (!) for about two years as Ireland's cruelly ignored saviour.

So he gets a country to their first European Championships in 24 years, yet he shouldn't get a new contract? Jesus.

So why get rid then? Why risk getting someone else in who may not be able to get the maximum from the team? What sense in that?

With the extremely limited resources we have, this team pulls together like none other and has qualified for the European Championships for the first time in 24 years (probably before you were born) with a squad which is probably the weakest since even before Germany ’88.

This rubbish about us playing “nice” football is guaranteed to result in one thing, and that is heavy losses. European football, unlike club football with its 55 games a season, is about results and results alone. You get those results in the way you can. Trap has done that and we are going to the Euros baring a disaster for the first time in a life time for our younger fans. The mind boggles at the idea of fans wanting him out. Some of our fans really have amazing delusions of footballing grandeur.

There’s too many Eamon Dunphy’s is this bloody country.

I didnt say I wanted him out. I said Im unsure whether Id give him a new deal. He is 72 you know. The football is a concern alright, we can be playing better football and playing Charlton style of football isnt the only way you can qualify if you are a small nation.

As I said he probably deserves a new deal but lets not pretend everything is perfect.

I also wish he'd actually start playing McCarthy, Coleman etc.