You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You'll probably get a response of "fuck off we were only 1-0 down to a wondergoal before the sending off". That's bollocks - they were crushing us; we were sitting on the edge of our box and practically daring them to score a long ranger against us.

Notice how we rarely concede goals from a breakaway? That's because Saint Jamie drags us so far back that every goal against can easily be attributed to bad luck or a full back error, but never to a lack of pace. It's also the reason why we have 15 goals less than United in 5 games despite 100M upgrading our attacking talent. We simply don't see enough of the ball in dangerous areas and until we do, we'll continue to underachieve.

I share the pain. Carroll was a panic buy imo. For seven years we've bought players who have the speed and movement to harry the opposition into a mistake in their own half. But having looked at it thus far I feel Xarlie Adam and Andy Carroll aren't quick enough to play the pressing game. They just aren't pacey enough.

For someone touted as a playmaker, Adam's first touch is just not good enough as evidenced by today. While he was on the pitch he miscontrolled it badly, giving it away cheaply 15 yards from the penalty box and then feigned mock outrage that somebody had the temerity to take it off him. All that without looking to run back and atone for his error.

Adam's tackling for us is very, very suspect as it was for Blackpool as it is for Scotland. He gives away needless freekicks with alarming regularity...

He looks fine when teams don't press us in midfield but when they do he just ain't quick enough and wants too much time on the ball. He let us down very badly today...

We haven't got a clue how to get the best out of Carroll, without resorting to Stoke-like long ball football, which will take us fucking nowhere.

When Rafa was in charge - the first load of front men he bought Morientes, Kuyt etc, just didn't have the pace to lead the line, to run beyond the defence. To me it's being to look a familiar error has been committed.

We need more pace in the team from back to front to truly compete. A terribly slugglish performance compounded by stupid, costly and dare I say it brainless indiscipline by Srktel and Xarlie. Congrats to Spurs they played us off the park.

As said last week - I expect Gerrard to take Adam's place when he's fit. He's more mobile, faster and a much, much better tackler.

I share the pain. Carroll was a panic buy imo. For seven years we've bought players who have the speed and movement to harry the opposition into a mistake in their own half. But having looked at it thus far I feel Xarlie Adam and Andy Carroll aren't quick enough to play the pressing game. They just aren't pacey enough.

For someone touted as a playmaker, Adam's first touch is just not good enough as evidenced by today. While he was on the pitch he miscontrolled it badly, giving it away cheaply 15 yards from the penalty box and then feigned mock outrage that somebody had the temerity to take it off him. All that without looking to run back and atone for his error.

Adam's tackling for us is very, very suspect as it was for Blackpool as it is for Scotland. He gives away needless freekicks with alarming regularity...

He looks fine when teams don't press us in midfield but when they do he just ain't quick enough and wants too much time on the ball. He let us down very badly today...

We haven't got a clue how to get the best out of Carroll, without resorting to Stoke-like long ball football, which will take us fucking nowhere.

When Rafa was in charge - the first load of front men he bought Morientes, Kuyt etc, just didn't have the pace to lead the line, to run beyond the defence. To me it's being to look a familiar error has been committed.

We need more pace in the team from back to front to truly compete. A terribly slugglish performance compounded by stupid, costly and dare I say it brainless indiscipline by Srktel and Xarlie. Congrats to Spurs they played us off the park.

As said last week - I expect Gerrard to take Adam's place when he's fit. He's more mobile, faster and a much, much better tackler.

Of course he will, is that even in doubt?

Biggest fear for me with our transfer dealings over the last 10 months or so has been this buy British at all costs narrative. I understand the motives, lets get a core of British players together and get a real team spirit going just as the Liverpool of old. Trouble is that doesn't work if you're buying players who just aren't good enough.

you just hit the core of our problem: buying bad British. wasn't hard to see it coming were it not for the faith we had in Kenny as a miracle worker. now that reality dawns, we realize we're in deep trouble fellows. millions have gone down the drain and these owners aren't going to sit back and watch. trouble for Kenny on the horizon and and a graver situation awaiting for our club.

The thing is, when it begins to dawn on some of you just how much money we have wasted on dross, you'll begin to worry - big time.

Most people on this thread are just calling it a bit earlier than the forum sages. Probably because they're less willing to suppress something that's staring them in the face.

The sad fact of the matter is, we've spent big money, more than most but our team doesn't look any better for it. If anything, it looks worse. The excuses cupboard is bare, it's not the ref, it's not money, it's not asset stripping Americans anymore. We've made some shockingly bad acquisitions in the transfer market, the worst in our history and it's starting to show. Worse still, if we don't take the opportunity this year to get back in the top 4, we'll get left behind for the foreseeable future.

I know part of the art of being a football supporter, which used to create a bit of romance, was to say things that you want to be true from your heart but that your head knows to be certifiable bollocks. Well you can't do that anymore with the internet, your heart can't be shielded from the grim realities. If you don't like that fact, don't come on an internet forum. It's much much easier these days to say the emperor is wearing no clothes. Particularly when he's stark bollock naked.

That game was very difficult to watch.

No point singling out individuals...the whole team was shite. Tottenham are a very good team and played us off the park, just like they did at Anfield last year. Their midfielders are much more technically gifted than ours and it showed. They were passing it around us for fun (even before the red cards). Worrying as well that there was no change in formation, tactics etc as the game wore on. Something should have been changed early.

Im not willing to write off any of our new players yet and that includes Carroll. Kenny needs to put a fucking rocket up his ass before his next start. He's being made to look a pussy out there and his Newcastle days showed he certainly isnt one of those. He needs to be told that his touch hasnt been good enough, his passing hasnt been good enough and his attitude hasnt been good enough. Pretty much every defender he's been up against so far has had him in his pocket and got an easy ride. Fucking bully them Andy, you are more than capable. Get your fucking head on the game and sort it out. It hasnt worked for him at all yet but IF he can find his form he will turn out to be a good player for us. At the moment, though, that form seems a long way off.

Looks like we still have the ability to prise one of these type of performances out of the locker!

Bar Lucas and Suarez I thought every single player offered nothing, but as it stands this is still the exception rather than the rule, six points in the next two games is a must.

On Caroll, I understand what people are saying about the criticism, he is a target, and a lot of it is unwarranted, but, it wasn't yesterday! I agree with those who feel that he is struggling with our style of play, and I think that is going to take time, but the Andy Caroll basics i.e. power in the air, aggression, making life difficult for defences is equally lacking, at least three or four times yesterday he just stood and watched Kabul or King jump up for the header with little or no intention to challenge, he needs to up his workrate drastically, or certainly, start making his presence felt in the right areas. Otherwise Newcastle will be spending some of that £35m on buying him back!

The thing that concerns me about Carroll is not his apparent lack of goals, they will come, it is his all round play. He struggles to bring others into the game and it is therefore difficult for any sort of partnership to develop. Plus for such a big powerful lad he appears incredibly easy to knock off the ball. We have also yet to see him dominate any center half in the air which is supposed to be his forte.

I don't doubt his goal instinct but we could have signed Kevin Phillips for that, a top striker needs so much more to his game than finishing if he is going to succeed at a top club.

The thing that concerns me about Carroll is not his apparent lack of goals, they will come, it is his all round play. He struggles to bring others into the game and it is therefore difficult for any sort of partnership to develop. Plus for such a big powerful lad he appears incredibly easy to knock off the ball. We have also yet to see him dominate any center half in the air which is supposed to be his forte.

I don't doubt his goal instinct but we could have signed Kevin Phillips for that, a top striker needs so much more to his game than finishing if he is going to succeed at a top club.

Problem is that only totally stupid defenders are going to get into a physical battle with Carroll. Most are playing him by challenging for any ball they are easy favourites to win and then looking for a free kick by going down really easy when Carroll looks to be favourite. Ref's the vast majority of times are falling for this and giving the foul - it's the easy option and decision to make.

West Brom last season were the first team I noticed doing this - Carroll was fairly lucky not to be sent off that game. Since then, he's become less and less aggressive. The problems lies with the fact there's not much else in his game to replace this aggression.

To be honest Anny, I Haven't seen anything to suggest he will score! The old adage that you don't worry when you are missing chances, you worry when you are not getting them seems quite apt. I can't think of too many chances that he has missed, too many times we are watching the play evolve and look around to see him either on the wing or on the edge of the area.

I am not sure to be honest, it looks like a poor buy at the moment.

To be honest Anny, I Haven't seen anything to suggest he will score! The old adage that you don't worry when you are missing chances, you worry when you are not getting them seems quite apt. I can't think of too many chances that he has missed, too many times we are watching the play evolve and look around to see him either on the wing or on the edge of the area.

I am not sure to be honest, it looks like a poor buy at the moment.

Agree with you mate but I still think he is a goal scorer. Given a chance he can bury them. Like you say however he is creating nothing for himself and being even less of a foil for others. Like I say even when Crouch was going through that 20 odd game spell he was at least a menace and created space for others. Andy seems to be trying and the workrate was there yesterday but it was in all the wrong areas and did nothing for the team. It is really worrying.

Agree with you mate but I still think he is a goal scorer. Given a chance he can bury them. Like you say however he is creating nothing for himself and being even less of a foil for others. Like I say even when Crouch was going through that 20 odd game spell he was at least a menace and created space for others. Andy seems to be trying and the workrate was there yesterday but it was in all the wrong areas and did nothing for the team. It is really worrying.

I think he needs to be dropped (not rested), it might be harsh but he just needs to realise that his game has to change, I suspect he is being a little childish and spoilt (typical of big fish small pond type player) in sulking because everything is going wrong for him.

Just grab him and tell him, first thing, do what you do well, and do it as good as you can. Then we will look at developing you.

The midfield worries me big time. Modric and Parker made it look journeymen even pre sending off. Compare Lucas, adam and hendo to previous midfields we have had and it's a scary prospect.

I´ve wrote many times at the end of August that the likes of Adam and Henderson are no contest to Meireles and Aquilani, with both Raul and Alberto shipped out or forced to make "transfer request" because they were clearly told that there is no place for them in the team.

What a shame. Hopefully Stevie will find some nice form after he returns.

We were down to 10 men for .. what... 40 minutes and still looked like we might salvage a draw, despite an absolutely shocking opening... correct?

Down to 9 men, and they add three more.

Why all this panic? Adam had a stinker(granted, everyone had a stinker at 11 men, and it put pressure on players) and it cost us the game.

I don't really blame Adam. It just didn't work out for us.

To be honest I blame Adam a little bit, it's like he hasn't got a brain in his fucking head no wonder Kenny didn't even look at him when he came off. I was livid with him all game I'm still livid I feel that same anger when viduka got four past us. It's going to take a couple of days until I'm unwound and find a bit of perspective.

playing Skrtel at rb? wrong

flat midfield 4? wrong

in the Stoke game and in this one Kenny got the selection and formation wrong

we had been playing well cos we had round pegs in round holes

yesterday it was square pegs in round holes in some key positions and we suffered as a result

still don't see why we paid £20m for Henderson and let Meireles and Aqualani go

also failure to get in a proper right winger is costing us

yesterday i would've gone 3 at the back, dropped Enrique and brought in Kuyt to double up on Bale

playing Skrtel at rb? wrong

flat midfield 4? wrong

in the Stoke game and in this one Kenny got the selection and formation wrong

we had been playing well cos we had round pegs in round holes

yesterday it was square pegs in round holes in some key positions and we suffered as a result

still don't see why we paid £20m for Henderson and let Meireles and Aqualani go

also failure to get in a proper right winger is costing us

yesterday i would've gone 3 at the back, dropped Enrique and brought in Kuyt to double up on Bale

We outplayed Stoke.

Guest Pistonbroke
I´ve wrote many times at the end of August that the likes of Adam and Henderson are no contest to Meireles and Aquilani, with both Raul and Alberto shipped out or forced to make "transfer request" because they were clearly told that there is no place for them in the team.

What a shame. Hopefully Stevie will find some nice form after he returns.

The constant mentioning of Aquilani's name is grinding on me. He hardly set the World alight when given a chance for us, his game was just not suited to the premier league. Not saying he was any worse than Henderson et all, but he wasn't any great shakes and wouldn't improve our midfield by much/if at all given the performances he put in for us.

The constant mentioning of Aquilani's name is grinding on me. He hardly set the World alight when given a chance for us, his game was just not suited to the premier league. Not saying he was any worse than Henderson et all, but he wasn't any great shakes and wouldn't improve our midfield by much/if at all given the performances he put in for us.

This grinds on me much more. He's gone, get over it etc, but he's clearly a good footballer, and didn't play enough (this being the biggest issue with him) to conclude he wasn't suited to playing in England. People thought the same of David Silva. He's been one of the best players in the league this season. Obviously Aquilani isn't going to be putting in crunching tackles but he'd probably make the job of our holding midfielder a lot easier by retaining possession in the opposition's half, and creating chances. There is a place for this in any team, any league.

Adam and Henderson will improve, which they'll have to, but its not particularly surprising some people are worried that maybe we shouldn't have sold Aquilani and/or Meireles. There are probably too many concrete conclusions being made on the back of a relatively small number of games at the moment. Some of the new signings appear to be keeping out some players (Maxi? Kuyt?) that possibly could make us a better side in the short term, but maybe not beyond this season.

We'll have to be patient, unfortunately.

Guest Pistonbroke
This grinds on me much more. He's gone, get over it etc, but he's clearly a good footballer, and didn't play enough (this being the biggest issue with him) to conclude he wasn't suited to playing in England. People thought the same of David Silva. He's been one of the best players in the league this season. Obviously Aquilani isn't going to be putting in crunching tackles but he'd probably make the job of our holding midfielder a lot easier by retaining possession in the opposition's half, and creating chances. There is a place for this in any team, any league.

Adam and Henderson will improve, which they'll have to, but its not particularly surprising some people are worried that maybe we shouldn't have sold Aquilani and/or Meireles. There are probably too many concrete conclusions being made on the back of a relatively small number of games at the moment. Some of the new signings appear to be keeping out some players (Maxi? Kuyt?) that possibly could make us a better side in the short term, but maybe not beyond this season.

We'll have to be patient, unfortunately.

Aqualani is one of those players who look good when surrounded by very good players, that is why he would never fit into our current squad imo. I will also stand by my opinion that his game was just not suited to the premier league.

As far as our current players go i agree, not enough games have been played to make a solid conclusion. I would give Henderson a rest and ease him into games from off the bench when we are ahead, his confidence is shot to fuck at the moment but i believe there is a good player in the making. I reckon Adam will look better with Gerrard back and Downing is good when we attack in numbers but goes missing when the going gets hard.