You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you're saying but it's very difficult to ignore. Even a cursory glance at Citeh and Utd and you can clearly see that they are fucking light years ahead of us. Depressing indeed.

1.1 billion pound outfit Manchester City are lightyears ahead of us. Who'd have thought it.

We played very well today. Dominated the midfield, while cutting off almost all the supply to their forward line. Almost being the operative word. If Carragher continues to foul up each time he's called to act in a game (we've been under zero pressure from the teams we've faced so far, yet conceded 3 goals, of which 2 are directly Carragher's fault) then we'll struggle away from home. If you go one behind on that tinderbox of a pitch then it will obviously become very difficult to get back into it.

1.1 billion pound outfit Manchester City are lightyears ahead of us. Who'd have thought it.

doesnt matter that we dont have that money when it comes to the league table. Yes, its unfair and obvious they will have better players. But, the fact remains they are lightyears ahead at this point. Getting prickly about it doesnt change that fact, big money or less money. Oh maybe well be given a leg up cause its so unfair!! Nobody was disputing they have loads more cash, it was just pointed out they are better, it seems so far.

doesnt matter that we dont have that money when it comes to the league table. Yes, its unfair and obvious they will have better players. But, the fact remains they are lightyears ahead at this point.

Well, it does matter with regards to managing expectations. Without FFP, we've no right to be on City's radar.

What about Kenny's after match comments?

Here is the view of Sachin Nakrani (does he still write for TLW?).

Kenny Dalglish seeing red over referees' 'contentious decisions'

Kenny Dalglish vented his fury at the standard of Premier League refereeing after his Liverpool team lost 1–0 at Stoke City. The Scot was enraged after Mark Clattenburg awarded the hosts a penalty in the first half but declined to give one when Matthew Upson appeared to handle Luis Suárez's cross inside the area late on.

The defeat was Liverpool's first of the season, and while Dalglish thought the visitors created enough chances to win the game – particularly during a spell just after the hour when, between them, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam saw five shots on goal blocked by Stoke's defence in a matter of seconds – he felt the contest was ultimately decided by Clattenburg and hinted cryptically that his side have been victims of a conspiracy by officials throughout this campaign.

"If we play like that again we'll be OK this season, but if we continually get battered by things which are out of control then we're not going to have much chance," said Dalglish. "We've had contentious decisions in every one of our four league games this season. We would like to be respectful to the referees, but more important is them having respect for my club and if I feel we're suffering in any way then I may need to go the same route as other people go and see if I can gain some benefit from that. I'll speak to the owners first and see what they say."

Asked what action he may take Dalglish reiterated his desire "to speak to the owners first", but the obvious route open to him appears to be making a complaint to the Premier League, and perhaps to Mike Riley, the head of the country's referees. The Scot appears to have a case regarding the penalty Liverpool should have had for Upson's handball, but the one scored by Jonathan Walters after he had been hauled down by Jamie Carragher appeared fair. Dalglish's claim that his team have had "contentious decisions" in each of their fixtures this season also appears misplaced.

Kenny Dalglish seeing red over referees' 'contentious decisions' | Football | The Observer

I read it differently to the writer. Kenny isn't talking about going to Mike Riley.

Surely Kenny's alluding to the pre-emptive intimidation meted out by Fungusface, exemplified by the "My keeper needs protection which other referees didn't give him" comments on Friday. That of course is just the most recent. He does it nearly every week.

I think Kenny has played it well. Not overt enough in his comments to risk censure or accusations of bitterness, but just enough to say Is that what you want? More managers like Fungus? And also to both draw attention to our run of poor decisions and the mancs' consistent and unpunished corruption of officials.

In his BBC interview he wondered if to get fairness maybe he has to be more "destructive" in press conferences and the like.

Personally, I don't think Clattenburg was bad. One or two contentious decisions but any of the three penalty shouts could have gone either way. We can argue that yes, all three went against us, but they weren't cut and dried.

On the matter of the Observer article, I don't think I like the concluding sentence "Dalglish's claim that his team have had "contentious decisions" in each of their fixtures this season also appears misplaced."

It is negative against Kenny and as a summarising sentence, isn't supportive. I know he's an independent (though Liverpool-supporting) journo, but I think Kenny has a point.

I think we have had a few poor decisions against us. It might not be in EVERY game, but maybe Kenny just means more than our fair share spread over these games?

Edited by razor

Don't get me wrong, I screamed hand ball, but to be fair it hit his leg then bounced onto his hand. I've seen them given and not.

Back to that Observer article, I don't like his angle at all. The line hinted cryptically that his side have been victims of a conspiracy by officials throughout this campaign is slanted against Kenny. How is this positioning the reader? How is he framing Kenny's words?

What about "stated that his side have been the victims of poor refereeing decisions throughout this campaign"?

Poor form by the writer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Kenny said every game major decisions has gone against them this season. Funny how he doesnt mention the offside goal at the emirates

The one that wasn't offside according to the rules of the game? Yeah, I'm not shocked.

Still, we shouldn't have needed to rue the refs mistakes, we should have won quite comfortably. We had plenty of opportunity to do it, but didn't take our chances. In this league that gets punished. Simple.

doesnt matter that we dont have that money when it comes to the league table. Yes, its unfair and obvious they will have better players. But, the fact remains they are lightyears ahead at this point. Getting prickly about it doesnt change that fact, big money or less money. Oh maybe well be given a leg up cause its so unfair!! Nobody was disputing they have loads more cash, it was just pointed out they are better, it seems so far.

Yeah, they can afford to spend £35m on a striker who already looks like being the top scorer in the Premiership.

We can only dream of that sort of player.

Just banter I think. Aren't they best mates?

I don't think so. Every time Hansen is about to discuss Liverpool, Lineker has some dig about bias and Hansen thus has to show how unbiased he is. It never happens with Shearer on Newcastle or Dixon with Arsenal. It's a trivial thing but it's just tiresome.

Yeah, they can afford to spend £35m on a striker who already looks like being the top scorer in the Premiership.

We can only dream of that sort of player.

38m and about 150k a week more in wages Brendan which is about 30m more over their contracts.

We can only dream about offering those kinds of wages.

I don't think so. Every time Hansen is about to discuss Liverpool, Lineker has some dig about bias and Hansen thus has to show how unbiased he is. It never happens with Shearer on Newcastle or Dixon with Arsenal. It's a trivial thing but it's just tiresome.

They're definitely good friends. I remember Lineker, Hansen and the King all golfing together around the time of the Open a few years ago.

What about Kenny's after match comments?

I read it differently to the writer. Kenny isn't talking about going to Mike Riley.

Surely Kenny's alluding to the pre-emptive intimidation meted out by Fungusface, exemplified by the "My keeper needs protection which other referees didn't give him" comments on Friday. That of course is just the most recent. He does it nearly every week.

I think Kenny has played it well. Not overt enough in his comments to risk censure or accusations of bitterness, but just enough to say Is that what you want? More managers like Fungus? And also to both draw attention to our run of poor decisions and the mancs' consistent and unpunished corruption of officials.

In his BBC interview he wondered if to get fairness maybe he has to be more "destructive" in press conferences and the like.

Personally, I don't think Clattenburg was bad. One or two contentious decisions but any of the three penalty shouts could have gone either way. We can argue that yes, all three went against us, but they weren't cut and dried.

On the matter of the Observer article, I don't think I like the concluding sentence "Dalglish's claim that his team have had "contentious decisions" in each of their fixtures this season also appears misplaced."

It is negative against Kenny and as a summarising sentence, isn't supportive. I know he's an independent (though Liverpool-supporting) journo, but I think Kenny has a point.

I think we have had a few poor decisions against us. It might not be in EVERY game, but maybe Kenny just means more than our fair share spread over these games?

Totally agree with you. The King's point is that ferguson intimidates refs before games. The comment about 'protect my keeper' was nothing short of putting pressure on the ref at bolton, who are a 'physical' side, to make sure de gea if he played was 'protected.'

ferguson couldnt have said it any plainer. There's supposed to be a new pL rule this season about commenting on ref s prior to games and as usual, ferguson ignores it. as usual, expect the FA to ignore his comments.

TBH, I can see where the King is coming from although the fact remains if Suarez had been more clinical in the last minute, we'd have got a point. The penalty looked very harsh to me and one only hopes next time clattenburg refs one of our games, he's gives us such a pen.

Yesterday's result was a disappointment. I thought we were good for a draw. It would have signalled our continued improvement to the wider football world although from our own perspective, I dont think it changes much.

Stoke's a horrid place to go (to paraphrase Emlyn Hughes). We'll play worse than that and win another day.

Kenny said every game major decisions has gone against them this season. Funny how he doesnt mention the offside goal at the emirates

Oh aye, turned up because arse spawned a win yesterday, eh? Where were you when you had 8 goals put passed you the other week? Hiding?