You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most expensive taxi ride ever?

Harry Squatter

What is the most that you've paid for a taxi either here or on holiday?

I went to Pamplona a few years back but we were staying in San Sebastian, the bus took ages to get there. We couldnt be arsed waiting til 1030 the next morning for the return with a massive hangover and we had nowhere to stay so we paid 120 Euros to get back.

Just been to Paris and paid 70 Euros from the hotel to Charles De Gaulle, apparently that was a "cheap rate" for an airport transfer.

Over here I went on my mates stag party in Manchester and we got a coach up there, everyone else was drinking Heineken and Carling but stupidly I drunk Tyskie and Duvel, by 11 pm I could barely stand up and talked like Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot. I somehow managed to get to Piccadilly train station and vaguely remember trying to buy a ticket back to Lime Street. I stumbled outside and got a taxi back to Liverpool which cost £60. I also looked at my bank statement a week or so later and found that i'd bought 2 single tickets to Liverpool costing £24 in my pissed state.

• Upvote 2

Unlucky mate. Heard yesterday though that *somebudgetvalueairline's* website has a major bug has been causing flights to be overbooked almost every flight booked within the last 4 months and they are having to put passengers at manchester and liverpool airports in taxi's to Luton and Gatwick, paying the taxi driver between £400 and £900 depending on the airport and sending the passengers off with a good £250 sweetener.

Allegedly three or four taxi drivers were informed by their mates in the airline companys and been waiting outside collecting those compensated passengers each morning. Must have made a mint. £90 petrol to Luton and back?

I rarely get taxis, so not really got an expensive story like the above to tell, but still...

Years ago, in my teens, I was thrown off a bus fairly late at night over in the wirral for playing with aerosols and lighters on the bus. Insette flamethrowers kind of thing.

Anyway, not knowing exactly where I was, I spotted a bus for "Eastham Ferry". Cool. Ferry! Ferries go across the Mersey, as the song says. I can get home on that, hop on the 12 or 13 bus and job done.

After wandering up and down and around looking for this ferry terminus I ended up outside The Tap, having missed the last buses of that night. I didn't know the last ferry to actually leave Eastham was in 1929...

So, over 60 years late for the ferry I ended getting a taxi. Cost me nigh on a weeks worth of milk round wages that did, the bastard.

• Upvote 1

Some pisshead I used to work with always got the last train home to Crosby, only problem is he would regularly fall asleep on the train and end up in Southport where the train terminated. He did this 4 times in one month and paid 40 quid a time to get back from Southport to Crosby. He said he always used to fall asleep because the train was "nice and warm". The guy in Sothport train station even had a cup of coffee ready for him on one occasion.

Virgin Trains balls'ed our connection from Cornwall to Leeds and dumped us in Derby station late one Sunday night. The nice man at the station hailed us a cab and told us it was "on us"!. £240 on the meter when we got dropped off at our door.

Had to get back to Cornwall quick when I was living in Leeds ( I know I know I followed a woman there) Cost me £600 quid for a black and white to get me home. As my parents had a guest house down here we put him up for the night for free and he knocked a ton off the price. 500 notes still hurt my bank balance pretty hard especially as I got the bus back a week later for 20 quid but it took over twice as long.

150 Euros was spent for turning up at the wrong Barcelona airport, think we needed to get from Reus to Girona in a race against time

I had the exact opposite taxi ride... I was on my way to Girona and was like... wait a minute, this is the wrong airport.

The taxi driver was excellent though, he switched off the meter, and it only cost me 30 euros.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Not that expensive n the Stoner league but a chunk of dollar...

Was living with a right funny bird in Watford but i live in Stevenage and was out with my mates on a night out....loads of texts from her "where are you?" so at about 10pm i wandered out of pub...into a cab and Stevenage to Watford (£60) told the cabby to wait a sec while i buzzed the door in the flats to let in "feck off" came the reply from the intercom, so i hopped back in the cab to rejoin my mates...a further £60 notes home so £120...

My mates hardly missed me as was gone oly an hour.."Where you been?" asked mates..

"don't ask" replied knob head Slim!

90 Euros from our broken down lift going from Molay-Littry to Caen ferry port. If I hadn't have been in such a rush to make the ferry I'd have saved myself that money when the taxi driver asked if we were paying, or it was being paid for by the hotel we'd just quit working for.

Over here, £16 town to home.

• 3 years later...

Biggest taxi fare I've ever paid is linked to the unmentionable.

Some dogooder cunts on here sorted me two tickets in the directors box for a certain sporting game sat next to a certain I*n R*sh.

Me and our kid have a great day out, plenty of free beer and go on the piss after. Head to lime street and both the worse for wear ask the guard which platform is the train to Birmingham, we go where he tells us and ask another guard if this was the train to Birmingham as we were a bit early and we were deciding on having another quick pint or just getting on the train ready and waiting for it to leave.

He promises us it's the Birmingham train so we decide to do the sensible thing and get on so it doesn't matter if we both nod off.

We're sat on the train for about 15 minutes I think it was before we leave and the announcement comes over the tannoy, this is the train to Manchester.

Stupid fucking cunts. We'd checked with two guards and we're still told it was the right train. Wankers.

We get to Manchester, kick off there at the staff and get a free train journey back. However we then can only get the last train to Birmingham and the connecting train to Bristol was leaving 50 minutes earlier.

We get to Birmingham and go to the first cabbie and ask him how much to Bristol, he looks it up in the book and told us it was about £400 (iirc)' ask what he'll do it for and he says nothing less, go to the second in the rank and ask him, he reckons he'd do it for £300 but nothing less, go to third in the rank and I tell the driver the guy in front just offered to take us to Bristol for £150 but he wanted to finish soon.

Cabbie tells us he's not doing it for a penny less than £180, we throw the cash at him, jump in before he can change his mind and get him to stop at an offy for some tins for the journey and Burger King, even treated him to a Whopper meal.

Young lad from work bagged off with an attractive lady in town & asked her where she lived. She says West Kirby & he hails a cab thinking it won't be too far back to Walton when he's finished. Starts necking a bit & when he comes up for air he can't fathom why he is going through the Mersey Tunnel. She explains his mistake which is compounded when he gets there by her saying that she would invite him in but her mum and dad are home, so he just gets turned straight around & back to County Road £35 or so lighter.

I live in a very small village about 45km from the nearest town. No school so kids from all around the district have a school bus to pick them up and drop them off.

Except for one, just down the road, who has "learning difficulties and behavioural problems"  and has fits/fights on the bus. Every morning a taxi drives 45km to pick him up and drive him to school and every afternoon another one drives him home and heads back into town. All courtesy of the NSW taxpayers.Every schoolday.