You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

For the last couple of years I have worked with a bloke who is pure pro Geert Wilders. When he asks me who I have voted for I tell him that I have voted for DENK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DENK_(political_party)).

When he asks me in disgust why I have voted for what in his head is a pro Muslim party I tell him that it is purely to cancel his vote out.

As I am not Dutch, I don't actually get a vote in national elections but he is too thick to understand that.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 4

The right seem to be offering answers and they are connected and organised internationally. They also have billionaires..The left on the other hand are too scared to be seen to be left wing, so come up with nothing radical, or they are too concerned with arguing and fighting each other. It’s a bastard. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bossy said:

The right seem to be offering answers and they are connected and organised internationally. They also have billionaires..The left on the other hand are too scared to be seen to be left wing, so come up with nothing radical, or they are too concerned with arguing and fighting each other. It’s a bastard. 

What's telling though is that they're not just right wing, they're seen (by themselves at least) as anti establishment. 

There's an appetite in the world for tearing down what exists and replacing it with 'something else', because what was once the working class and now even middle class feel it no longer works for them. The Tory part itself as was, a very old institution, has basically been destroyed from inside right before our very eyes by these forces. 

You got this in pre Nazi Germany, the centre parties were trying to sort of muddle by and win arguments through traditional means, but on the streets you had Communist and Nazi militias knocking shit out of each other. It was eventually dirty tricks that saw the latter subdue the former, but it could have gone either way. Corbyn and Sanders' movements have been similarly neutralised. But then so has the right in some places, 'Trumpism' is a shadow of what it was, and that Brazilian loon was kicked into touch. 

What's going on in Europe feels to me to have deeper roots. Even though I'm generally pro EU, I think there's definitely been an underlying feeling in some countries that they were losing their sense of self-determination and nationhood in favour of globalism and mass migration, and that's been fanned by bad actors. 

Despite it being a term that's something of a figure of fun, 'centrism' is where most people reside during good economic times, they only go to the fringes when the shit hits the fan and they don't know which way to turn.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What's telling though is that they're not just right wing, they're seen (by themselves at least) as anti establishment. 

There's an appetite in the world for tearing down what exists and replacing it with 'something else', because what was once the working class and now even middle class feel it no longer works for them. The Tory part itself as was, a very old institution, has basically been destroyed from inside right before our very eyes by these forces. 

You got this in pre Nazi Germany, the centre parties were trying to sort of muddle by and win arguments through traditional means, but on the streets you had Communist and Nazi militias knocking shit out of each other. It was eventually dirty tricks that saw the latter subdue the former, but it could have gone either way. Corbyn and Sanders' movements have been similarly neutralised. But then so has the right in some places, 'Trumpism' is a shadow of what it was, and that Brazilian loon was kicked into touch. 

What's going on in Europe feels to me to have deeper roots. Even though I'm generally pro EU, I think there's definitely been an underlying feeling in some countries that they were losing their sense of self-determination and nationhood in favour of globalism and mass migration, and that's been fanned by bad actors. 

Despite it being a term that's something of a figure of fun, 'centrism' is where most people reside during good economic times, they only go to the fringes when the shit hits the fan and they don't know which way to turn.

Last paragraph sums it up. We see the rise of factions at the extremes when people are squeezed financially and where there's mass inequality. 

• Upvote 1

The immigration stuff is a problem, there's no denying it. Owen Jones types can pontificate about it but the reality probably looks very different when you're living on a tiny Greek island.

That's not immigrants' fault, it's governments', and David Cameron's for blowing the shit out of Libya. But it's undoubtedly an issue fuelling the movements the likes of which you see in Italy.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The immigration stuff is a problem, there's no denying it. Owen Jones types can pontificate about it but the reality probably looks very different when you're living on a tiny Greek island.

That's not immigrants' fault, it's governments', and David Cameron's for blowing the shit out of Libya. But it's undoubtedly an issue fuelling the movements the likes of which you see in Italy.

I thought labour under blair and brown should take a chunk of the blame for that, They just stuck their heads in the sand as those towns in the north moved over to UKIP. 

the grooming scandals,which,as far as I know,still hasnt really been fully explained,has also been hugely damaging.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, cloggypop said:

See what happens about forming a coalition government. Wilders best chance is getting the support of VVD who have a new leader after Mark Rutte in a female daughter of Turkish immigrants which is pretty much exactly what Wilders is against. 

I’ve been studying the available information and I can’t tell if she’s fit or not.

What is the consensus on the ground?

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

only in this fucking basket case of a country,could a man who banked with the same institution as the royal family,can position himself as "anti estanlishment.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Yes, well put. The left ‘centrists’ (LC) seem not to even be making a case for, or mention, the philosophy of equality, whereas the centre right (oxymoron perhaps) at least have a language and causes; immigration, high taxes, enterprise etc that appeals to the like minded. When the LC try to jump on that bandwagon it annoys and worse those who would support them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 10:15, ZonkoVille77 said:

Another apparent arson attack on premises (in this instance, falsely) believed to be earmarked for asylum seeker accommodation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/12/31/fire-at-disused-dublin-pub-falsely-rumoured-to-be-earmarked-for-asylum-seeker-accomodation/

17 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Another apparent arson attack on premises (in this instance, falsely) believed to be earmarked for asylum seeker accommodation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2023/12/31/fire-at-disused-dublin-pub-falsely-rumoured-to-be-earmarked-for-asylum-seeker-accomodation/

Sickening. Years ago these muppets would have been sat in a bar spouting their nonsense at like minded fucks and then gone home drunk. Nowadays they have social media to spread their crap far and wide and get willing idiots to commit crimes. 

• 3 weeks later...

AfD: Germans float ban on elected far-right party after scandal

Austrian far-right activist Martin Sellner, who has previously been barred from the UK, is alleged to have presented the mass deportation "masterplan".

It reportedly included details of moving people to a "model state" in North Africa that could provide space for up to two million people.

• 3 weeks later...

I still find it quite mad that many far right are supporting Israel’s genocide. It must have been quite the dilemma deciding which people to hate more. Although I guess most of them are thick enough to do a nazi salute alongside an Israeli flag in the same way the National Front used to do it whilst waving union jacks. Idiots. 

That said, Netenyahus far right regime is encouraging more far right behaviours in the west. See Tommy Robinson and his gang of scrotes.