You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Of course it's a marketing ploy, Lebron's company is a marketing company for a start. They will perform marketing work for FSG. Part of that will include aiming at pushing LFC in the US. Likewise, Lebron quite openly talks of wanting to make himself a global brand, getting FSG to push his name in connection with us will aid that effort. It's a mutual deal and an obvious PR effort.

I'm not sure how FSG could scrape off any earnings that LFC make off the back of it as the end result will be increased TV rights and merchandise sales, which are paid to the club. FSG are looking to strengthen their investment, which will yield rewards for them if done right. THAT'S the motivation, business sense and marketing nounce.

SoS flying in as though we are being chopped up and sold off would be ludicrous.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

You're guessing as to what the deal is, I've done the same in the actual thread for that.

There are pertinent questions to be asked and I'm glad they will be by SOS.

Saying that SOS would fly in acting as if we are to be chopped up and sold off is ludicrous.

Guest ShoePiss

By the way, what is with the attitude of these owners shouldn't be questioned? It's coming across that way on here at times. They absolutely should be questioned, they're not supporters of Liverpool, nor do they have any interest in or idea of the actual sport.

They are businessmen looking to make money, it might come as a shock but there's a chance in the future that their goal doesn't coincide with ours and we need to make sure they are scrutinised all the way through their time here.

We should never let up with questions and if their intentions are good they should be happy to answer for the most part (obviously there's information that is sensitive to the general performance of the club and should always remain behind closed doors).

Asking questions doesn't have to be a battle, it doesn't have to put the receiver on the defensive and it's just a matter of presentation and delivery. If after perfectly delivered questions they're defensive you have to be suspicious.

what is there to ask? where's the problem with someone investing abit of cash in the club for a small amount of shares?

why are SOS not happy with the fact someone actually put money into the club?

ahhhhh its because FSG didnt go to SOS and ask more about the idea of fans owning a stake........be honest it is isnt it? the other question is who would you have sit on the board representing the fans?.......you can see where im going with this cant you?

cant you just be happy that we have owners that give a shit about the club and are willing to invest money and to find people that are willing to do so aswell.Why do SOS seem so against everything and have to ask questions that really dont need asking just be happy that money is going into the club and not out to pay 30m in interest a year

to sum up the post i think it would be best to say STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING

I can't speak for our owners.

However if I was in John Henry's position and received communication like that and the solicitors letter sent in December I would be telling SoS to get fucked by now. Actually that's not strictly true, I wouldn't dignify it with a response.

Get your facts right then try posting again.

what is there to ask? where's the problem with someone investing abit of cash in the club for a small amount of shares?

ahhhhh its because FSG didnt go to SOS and ask more about the idea of fans owning a stake........be honest it is isnt it? the other question is who would you have sit on the board representing the fans?.......you can see where im going with this cant you?

cant you just be happy that we have owners that give a shit about the club and are willing to invest money and to find people that are willing to do so aswell.Why do SOS seem so against everything and have to ask questions that really dont need asking just be happy that money is going into the club and not out to pay 30m in interest a year

to sum up the post i think it would be best to say STOP MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING

Because no one has put one penny into LFC or invested anything in us. Part of us (small no doubt) has been given away for a deal that sees a subsidiary of FSG (not FSG note) get the benefit of a deal - we won't see anything directly.

Again, do a bit of reading and see what has happened here - part of the Club transferred but LFc don't get anything directly in return. If you do the research then come back and say you're happy with this state of affairs.

Still happy part of us has been given away for nothing?

Guest ShoePiss

I'm extremely happy with the owners so far and it's worlds apart from where we were last year. I still want to hold them to account though, I still want to be as informed as possible about their intentions and actions regarding the club.

I'm happy. And I want questions answered.

It's a fucking riddle isn't it? How can it be?

I'm extremely happy with the owners so far and it's worlds apart from where we were last year. I still want to hold them to account though, I still want to be as informed as possible about their intentions and actions regarding the club.

I'm happy. And I want questions answered.

It's a fucking riddle isn't it? How can it be?

the part that worrys me the most if and when SOS ask questions is they way they come across.Even in the days of G&H they always seemed hostile (ie perlsowgate and publishing minutes) almost arrogant at times

id rather they didnt ask the questions as it makes me cringe how some of them are worded

Suppose SOS have to try and go out and look for questions to ask, now that the owners have been replaced, in order to justify their existence.

Can't really see much to moan about here. The relationship will clearly help Liverpool to exploit the asian, and more importantly Chinese market immensely.

Because no one has put one penny into LFC or invested anything in us. Part of us (small no doubt) has been given away for a deal that sees a subsidiary of FSG (not FSG note) get the benefit of a deal - we won't see anything directly.

Again, do a bit of reading and see what has happened here - part of the Club transferred but LFc don't get anything directly in return. If you do the research then come back and say you're happy with this state of affairs.

i take your point but what im saying is why seem so hostile about everything ?

at the end of the day can we change that ? no not really i may not agree with it mate but is business it happens all over the world daily as im sure you are aware

but perhaps for now isnt it an idea to sit on our hands and see what happens ie if they make something known about it in an interview before we start digging into things

the part that worrys me the most if and when SOS ask questions is they way they come across.Even in the days of G&H they always seemed hostile (ie perlsowgate and publishing minutes) almost arrogant at times

id rather they didnt ask the questions as it makes me cringe how some of them are worded

I'd welcome you quoting the sections of the news item that was published that you consider "hostile"

Cheers.

Suppose SOS have to try and go out and look for questions to ask, now that the owners have been replaced, in order to justify their existence.

Can't really see much to moan about here. The relationship will clearly help Liverpool to exploit the asian, and more importantly Chinese market immensely.

How do you figure that when LFC don't get anything from the deal, the deal has been done with a subsidiary of FSG and not even FSG themselves?

No big fanfare by the Club explaining the LeBron world tour promoting everything scouse - our only involvement is that we were giben partly away as part of a deal that doesn't benefit us directly.

Guest ShoePiss

I think there was justification for the hostility shown towards the previous owners, that hostility needs to be replaced with something much more cordial now.

How do you figure that when LFC don't get anything from the deal, the deal has been done with a subsidiary of FSG and not even FSG themselves?

No big fanfare by the Club explaining the LeBron world tour promoting everything scouse - our only involvement is that we were giben partly away as part of a deal that doesn't benefit us directly.

Fair enough, i can see what you are saying. Nothing official has been said.

Im just assuming that our owners will use, arguably the biggest basketball player in the world, in one of the most lucrative markets in the world, in order to further enhance the reputation and revenues of another of its assets. Namely us.

I'd welcome you quoting the sections of the news item that was published that you consider "hostile"

Cheers.

without trawling through loads of threads the perslow minutes was a hostile acton the moment u posted them without agreeing them with all partys involved

ok if memory serves me well i think someone did in the end say ok we could have done better but im just using that to make my point

Fair enough, i can see what you are saying. Nothing official has been said.

Im just assuming that our owners will use, arguably the biggest basketball player in the world, in one of the most lucrative markets in the world, in order to further enhance the reputation and revenues of another of its assets. Namely us.

I think the basketball player will have something to say about that, as he'll be busy with his own career and interests.

No doubt he'd like to see LFC grow as he owns a bit, but such a small bit that anything he does is unlikely to really see him benefit massively.

He got us as part payment. We get little.

without trawling through loads of threads the perslow minutes was a hostile acton the moment u posted them without agreeing them with all partys involved

ok if memory serves me well i think someone did in the end say ok we could have done better but im just using that to make my point

Purslow was a liar as the tape of the meeting would bear out.

My point was about the last news item about this issue - where is that hostile?

Purslow was a liar as the tape of the meeting would bear out.

My point was about the last news item about this issue - where is that hostile?

It is the aim of Spirit Of Shankly to hold any owner of Liverpool FC to account, and accordingly we will be contacting Liverpool FC to ask questions about this news.

the whole hold them to account sorry that just sounds like your are demanding an answer and to hold someone to account makes it sound like they are in the wrong

to me that looks hostile

ok how about wording it like this

we will be contacting the club to ask what this means for LFC so that we the fans can understand how it will work and to keep the relationship between the owners and fans transparent

or something along them lines what sounds the more friendly ? in all fairness if i was FSG and i looked at what was written id be what the fuck is that all about

but thats just my view

Guest ShoePiss

Being held to account doesn't mean you're in the wrong and asking questions are not demands.

For some reason andy you're seeing things which just aren't there.

Being held to account doesn't mean you're in the wrong and asking questions are not demands.

For some reason andy you're seeing things which just aren't there.

supppose its how people look at it really be boring if we all saw things the same way stump :biggrin:

like i say thats just from my point of view mate

Guest ShoePiss
You guys do realise that if FSG are strong commercially, like doing things like bringing on board the biggest superstar in a generation and being his companies sole representatives worldwide then this is good for LFC, right?

It might be but it's not a foregone conclusion.

Holding them to account doesn't damage them commercially nor does asking them questions anyway.

Only our fans could whinge and moan about a corporate deal which has no tangible detriment to ourselves. LeBron is just one of a large number of people who have a stake in our club. If this was a faceless businessman there would be no reaction whatsoever

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Whilst I'd believe that SoS are pretty insignificant and would like it to disband, I think you've got to give them some leeway here. As a group of fans, they've got as much right as any other fan or fan group to contact the club and ask some polite questions regarding a deal with LeBron James' company. Whether they will get a response that's acceptable to them, or a response at all, remains to be seen.

I don't think they needed to try to gain attention by announcing their intention to ask questions, that seems a bit small-time to me. Still that's their business, not ours, and it's a separate issue. It's just another action that a lot of fans will raise their eyebrow at.

I think their major problem is the continuing inability to communicate with the non-SoS majority. Some of their most influential members are patronising and arrogant. I mean, if they wish to garner more support for their cause - and they should, as it's the only thing that gives their existence any sort of legitimacy - then it would be wise, in my opinion, not to go into attack mode against fellow fans of the football club. Yet again, I find myself looking in disbelief at the way one of their important members conducts themselves.

Is this really the way to win more support, or change the opinion that they're arrogant and self-aggrandising:

Get your facts right then try posting again.

do a bit of reading and see what has happened here

If you do the research then come back and say you're happy with this state of affairs.

I just want to shout 'who the fuck do you think you are?', and I know others feel the same. They are polarising support, and they're the only ones who set to lose out. They might call themselves a 'liaison officer' or 'new media officer' or even an 'assistant secretary', but when it comes to the football club, they're nothing more than a fan.

I do have to question statements like this, too:

They haven't given away part of a multi-hundred million dollar investment for 'nothing'. If that's what they're trying to con people into believing, then they're just a slimy as people they've previously denounced. With comments like this, and their previous underhanded and unappreciated letter, it seems like they're trying to undermine the ownership in some way. The owners have to be fucking stupid to give away part of a club for 'nothing'.

Sure, ask questions, nobody is able to tell them to stop doing that. If, however, they want to gain more support, further legitimise their existence, and stop the evident and obvious rot that has set in as far as their reputation with fellow supporters goes, then they're going to have to stop seeing themselves as somebody that's able to offer anything more than an external dissenting voice. They're not the arbiters of all thing red and they don't actually have the power to hold anybody to account, least of all the owners of the football club.