You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Alexis Sanchez should be our top target

WrongIslander

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't take full credit, its a Sacchi quote.

I'd heard it somewhere but didn't know it was him, mine was infinetly worse so I apologise to the maddest bastard in Italian football.

You found the best semi pro there is to help silverluis' argument though.

Sacchi never played football professionally, and before becoming a coach he was a shoe salesman. This led to his famous quote to the ones that questioned his qualifications: "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first"

Obviously it still proves he was talking shite because Sacchi puts the journo right back in their box and quite rightly so.

Guest PurpleNose

Sacchi's playing career amounted to a few seasons in Italy's equivalent to the Blue Square Premier.

Fucked that off. Bought a few reasonable Dutch players. Then started winning European Cups.

Sacchi's playing career amounted to a few seasons in Italy's equivalent to the Blue Square Premier.

Fucked that off. Bought a few reasonable Dutch players. Then started winning European Cups.

Ha, wish we could buy a few "reasonable" dutch players, say Sneijder, Robben and Van Der Wiel would be nice.

Torres and Villa were as important to that Spain side as Ronaldo and Tevez were to Man Utd.

If you're looking to compare Berbatov's influence on that title win, try Dani Guiza.

So you're saying that Tevez with 29 appearances, 5 goals and 3 assists had more influence on the title win than Berbatov with 31 appearances, 9 goals and 10 assists.

Ah, ok.

So you're saying that Tevez with 29 appearances, 5 goals and 3 assists had more influence on the title win than Berbatov with 31 appearances, 9 goals and 10 assists.

Ah, ok.

Stats don't always tell the story, Berbatov usually scores in routs whereas Tevez scored the most important goals that season I'd say, every time it was tight it seemed to be his drive they looked to to get them out of the jam.

Stats don't always tell the story, Berbatov usually scores in routs whereas Tevez scored the most important goals that season I'd say, every time it was tight it seemed to be his drive they looked to to get them out of the jam.

Berbatov scored winners against Newcastle, Bolton and Middlesborough.

Tevez scored a winner against...erm...Stoke City.

I'm not saying Tevez didn't contribute to the title win, or that stats paint the whole picture, but to compare Tevez' contribution to Torres or Villa's contribution to Spain's success then say Berbatov did no more than Dani Guiza is ridiculous.

If Tevez was as important to Man Utd as Hades says, then surely he would've made more appearances than Berbatov, not less?

Berbatov scored winners against Newcastle, Bolton and Middlesborough.

Tevez scored a winner against...erm...Stoke City.

I'm not saying Tevez didn't contribute to the title win, or that stats paint the whole picture, but to compare Tevez' contribution to Torres or Villa's contribution to Spain's success then say Berbatov did no more than Dani Guiza is ridiculous.

If Tevez was as important to Man Utd as Hades says, then surely he would've made more appearances than Berbatov, not less?

Did he not score the winner against Spurs? I seem to remember that being a massive game, or am I think of his winners from the season before?

Regardless, I rate Berbatov, I was just pointing out that Tevez has scored some really important goals when United needed them and I thought they were stupid at the time to sell him. Still wish he'd have come here, not now though obviously.

Regardless, I rate Berbatov, I was just pointing out that Tevez has scored some really important goals when United needed them and I thought they were stupid at the time to sell him. Still wish he'd have come here, not now though obviously.

They didn't sell him though did they? He was on loan there for 2 years, and they didn't take up the option of a permanent deal, probably because they felt the total outlay was too high. Maybe they didn't want to get stitched up and pay somebody close to £200k a week, shattering their wage structure, on top of a £20m-plus transfer fee, despite selling Ronaldo that same summer. Actually, regarding the wages thing, I've just remembered they WERE eventually stitched up anyway!

Back on topic, I've no idea if Sanchez is a target or if he should be. He is a very very good player though. If there is an area he could improve upon, it's his goalscoring, and that's despite hitting 4 at the weekend. Perhaps a move to a bigger club could take him to the next level in that respect. His style of play suggests that he could have stats not far off what the likes of Messi and Ronaldo currently have.

For the record, that is an opinion based on what I've seen with my own eyes, and my understanding of the game. I've never played the game to any great level, I've never been in a position to "make it", I don't have any pro footballers as mates, and I don't spout names based on media tittle-tattle or who's hot on Football Manager or FIFA/Pro Evo.

As you were.

Do any of you actually believe we're going to get Sanchez?

As with all our potential signings this summer, it depends in large part on who else comes in for him and how much he actually wants to join us (if at all).

Why sell Agger? Yes, I know he is injury prone but I believe that he is a top class defender who reads the game well and has been one of the stand out performers under Dalglish. Selling Skrtel wouldn't bother me either way, but the sale of Agger would dissapoint me. What Agger needs is a good tall strong centre back along side him, a la Mertesacker or Shawcross. In all honesty Carra just isn't the ideal partner for Danny. The fact that people still think Carra should be in our starting X1 game in game out next season concerns me. Don't get me wrong, Carra is still a good defender that can still give a lot to this club in that area, but I highly doubt that he would now get in the other TOP teams across Europe. We need to be looking to the future and have a young(ish) partnership in defence. Agger fits the bill for me!