You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He is a player who combines physical strength with an enviable culture tactics. It is also a player who has a good shot. It is a medium that you will like, never gives a ball lost. But I am honest, is not going to forget Javier Mascherano! eheh

Who? Never heard of him. Sounds like a whopper anyway.

My question is tho, we have had a number of players come over from the Portuguese league - Anderson, Tiago, Deco (via Spain), Pedro Mendes...

And they hardly set the league on fire.

Ronaldo and Carvalho are the obvious exceptions.

Do you think Raul Meireles will cope with the Premiership?

Looks like it's a done deal. Only to agree terms.

We have alternatives to Meireles' - Andre Villas Boas

Why Drafting

The coach of FC Porto, Andre Villas Boas, the output de-dramatize this Saturday Raul Meireles for Liverpool - business that is only dependent on the agreement between English club and player. For the technician, the dragon has solutions.

"Raul is an important player that follows the course of his career, a new option, so important for a club like FC Porto. Agreement was reached between the parties that relate to the clubs and lack agreement between Liverpool and Meireles', began by saying the coach at a press conference. For the coach, however, there is no reason for drama: "You lose an important player, but follow with many options and viable, with a very competitive midfield. We have more solutions and options that we offer as much or more than Raul offered us. "

At the time of farewell, Andre Villas Boas admitted that FC Porto 'thanks to Raul Meireles what he did for the club', considering that 'Raul also thank the club for what he did for his future. "

A few days of the closing of the transfer market - August 31 - Andre Villas Boas leaves open the door to new business, although he admitted that in his opinion the market should already be closed. 'Unexpected can happen, which is what happened to Raul Meireles, a lightning deal. "

abola.pt

I hope he's nothing like Tiago. Tiago is shit.

Like I said I used to view him as another Tiago right up until about 2 seasons ago. From that point on it just seemed like everything clicked for him. He actually reminds me of Lampard in that he has no outstanding attributes (maybe his finishing and shooting) but is strong in most areas. He's an old school player does a bit of everything, will he work here? You never can tell. Lets hope eh;)

Didn't Spurs sign another Portuguese player at the same time as Mendes - im sure it was a double deal. The fact i cant even remember his name proves he was a big hit also.

Its fair to say that Portuguese generally don't have the best of times over here then.

Like I said I used to view him as another Tiago right up until about 2 seasons ago. From that point on it just seemed like everything clicked for him. He actually reminds me of Lampard in that he has no outstanding attributes (maybe his finishing and shooting) but is strong in most areas. He's an old school player does a bit of everything, will he work here? You never can tell. Lets hope eh;)

Let's hope so. I'm optimistic about it and hope for the best.

If he can play intelligently, pass it short and long quickly, and control the tempo, he'll do me.

Just wanted to be in place in Meireles, I think that is the first Portuguese to go to Liverpool, to feel that atmosphere .. Those fans, awesome! Good luck Meireles.

And this from a Benfica man!!

Follow a bit of Porto here from Rio and always liked the player. English league is different but I do not think he will look out of place.

Mascherano was the best in the world at what he was doing, but I think Mereles can add a bit more.

BTW, what has happened to Benfica?? And who will win the league in Portugal this year?

And this from a Benfica man!!

Follow a bit of Porto here from Rio and always liked the player. English league is different but I do not think he will look out of place.

Mascherano was the best in the world at what he was doing, but I think Mereles can add a bit more.

BTW, what has happened to Benfica?? And who will win the league in Portugal this year?

Who will win the championship I do not know. I hope it's Benfica, of course!

Benfica lost two games, much the fault of the new goalkeeper, Roberto. It is really bad. It was a bad business. And we also lost our extremes, Ramires to Chelsea and Di Maria to Real Madrid. But now we're strengthening. I am hoping that we will be champions again. We have a good coach and a good team spirit!

Who will win the championship I do not know. I hope it's Benfica, of course!

Benfica lost two games, much the fault of the new goalkeeper, Roberto. It is really bad. It was a bad business. And we also lost our extremes, Ramires to Chelsea and Di Maria to Real Madrid. But now we're strengthening. I am hoping that we will be champions again. We have a good coach and a good team spirit!

1 more question about the new fella Benfica_Man...

Ramires - is he a similar type of player to Raul Meireles? Defensive anchor-man type? And if so... leaving your Benfica supporting hat off - who is the better player?