You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Under Rafa, we received a lot of negative media I felt. Mainly because of the uptight front he gave in majority of his press conferences. I think that transferred on to the players big time.

Do you think we will get more positive of a media with Roy? He is a well liked guy it seems. Not quite in Good Aul Arry Redknapp's league but he is popular amongst the public. Spurs get unbelievably good vibes from the media and I really think it gives their team much much more confidence because of it.

It just seemed like the whole football nation was just wanting us to fail under Rafa and I'm sure that played a part with out players.

102561137.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6377FD47F80612C61E5C2F893E7405A138231AAF38585E70B

Why was Rafa so hated by the media really? was there any specific reason?

A few.

He was quite stubborn, zonal marking, he constantly made noises about the owners and board members so seemed on the surface a trouble maker, launched an attack on Fergie through the media, disliked Fat Sam? At some points, I felt he was bullied cause he was foreign and the media wanted someone British in the job. Hence the board reacted with Hodgson?

Some suspect Purslow may have been leaking negative stories to the press, e.g. the player power bullshit, Rafa being cold towards players and that kind of crap.

Under Rafa, we received a lot of negative media I felt. Mainly because of the uptight front he gave in majority of his press conferences. I think that transferred on to the players big time.

Do you think we will get more positive of a media with Roy? He is a well liked guy it seems. Not quite in Good Aul Arry Redknapp's league but he is popular amongst the public. Spurs get unbelievably good vibes from the media and I really think it gives their team much much more confidence because of it.

It just seemed like the whole football nation was just wanting us to fail under Rafa and I'm sure that played a part with out players.

I think Broughton agrees with you.

Too easy to write stories about. Did counter-intuitive shit like zonal, rotation, etc that made it easy to stir up some drama if real news was in short supply. And then it has to be said that LFC, as a club, has more leaks than a sieve, always easy to call some blert who should be keeping his mouth shut.

Plus he knew more about football than they did and didn't even try to hide it.

Given the clubs history with the media it didn't bother me that Benitez treated them the way he did.

In the end it transpired against him as the board used his poor relationship with the press for their own good.

It wont take long before they're picking apart and putting pressure on the new manager.

Given the clubs history with the media it didn't bother me that Benitez treated them the way he did.

In the end it transpired against him as the board used his poor relationship with the press for their own good.

It wont take long before they're picking apart and putting pressure on the new manager.

I'm sure by Christmas, the Roy Out Brigade will be taking off, both in our fanbase and in the public. Bring on Fat Sam next summer.

Played Gerrard on the right hand side of midfield for a season, caused uproars despite him being pretty effective there.

That's it in microcosm. Counter-intuitive, player blagging to press all day. The fact that the move worked is irrelevant; it was easy uproar. Bang out the article in 10 minutes and off down the pub.

Guest Pistonbroke

If we have a good start to the season then hopefully the media will find a new club to wind up. If we have a bad start then Hodgson will probably get it with both barrels.

Kenny hated the press and let them know it and it never did us any harm. I wouldn't exactly say Mr Ferguson was their favourite person either. Win things though and they have to talk you up, it's as simple as that. If Spurs struggle this year the knives will soon be out, Arsenal likewise.

Too easy to write stories about. Did counter-intuitive shit like zonal, rotation, etc that made it easy to stir up some drama if real news was in short supply.

It was always something more than that for me. Mourinho and Ferguson rotated as much, and other teams use zonal marking (Fulham being a case in point; that won't change). I think personally part of it was that he didn't engage with them as much as some managers, gave them flip answers, wasn't their best mate enough, etc. He's always been perceived as somewhat aloof and no-one likes to feel someone is being more clever than them.

There were a few cheap shots from the likes of Gray early on who's always been a Manc and an Evertonian, but the printed media took their time to turn on him it seems to me. And towards the end he was a soft target; he'd obviously fallen out big time with the owners and there were the fights with Ferguson, all of which put the scent of blood in the water. Last season the football stopped working too and the sharks tore in.

It was always something more than that for me. Mourinho and Ferguson rotated as much, and other teams use zonal marking (Fulham being a case in point; that won't change). I think personally part of it was that he didn't engage with them as much as some managers, gave them flip answers, wasn't their best mate enough, etc. He's always been perceived as somewhat aloof and no-one likes to feel someone is being more clever than them.

There were a few cheap shots from the likes of Gray early on who's always been a Manc and an Evertonian, but the printed media took their time to turn on him it seems to me. And towards the end he was a soft target; he'd obviously fallen out big time with the owners and there were the fights with Ferguson, all of which put the scent of blood in the water. Last season the football stopped working too and the sharks tore in.

Sure it was more than that. 95% of the media coverage was exactly what you would expect for such a big club, given the results and general context. But the stuff I highlighted seems to be where the press were applying different standards or had an unfair advantage (because of all the big mouthed blerts at the club).

People like heroes and villains. They like overly simplistic reporting. Also commercially there is a strong market for bad news. Stories that provokes fear or anxiety are proven to be better circulation drivers. Better circulation translates to bigger rate card prices. Throw in a pinch of underlying xenophobia and you have the formula for sports coverage, give or take.

Some of it had to do with his press conferences. In most cases, he said nothing but the usual spiel. When he said something noteworthy, he usually put his foot in it, e.g. the 4th place promise, the G&H row.

Mourinho wound everyone up with his conferences with his comments, but the press in general loved it. Rafa gave them little in comparison. Give the monkey a banana every day and he'll be happy, give the monkey nothing, and he'll go looking for bananas. Rafa never quite grasped that side of journalism.

Pretty much everyone's covered it in this thread.

But mainly Rafa not giving a shit about a great deal of journalists, and not quite winning enough.

Ferguson treats the press, and television especially, like cunts but gets away with it because he's won so much.

Roy I think will be a bit more accomodating to some of the press than Rafa was, but the knives will be out if we do badly.

I don't think it affects the team really.

Too easy to write stories about. Did counter-intuitive shit like zonal, rotation, etc that made it easy to stir up some drama if real news was in short supply. And then it has to be said that LFC, as a club, has more leaks than a sieve, always easy to call some blert who should be keeping his mouth shut.

Plus he knew more about football than they did and didn't even try to hide it.

And why should he? Thats why he was hired, to do what they can't. Too much fucking ego at this club!

not playing Gerrard in his best position - which actually turned out to be off Nando. So rafa was right and many in the media were proven wrong. I think this annoyed quite a lot of them.

also the Keane saga did him no favours. paying well over the odds in the first place and then getting rid of him 4 months later. I think keane is generally well liked and a lot of people thought he didn't deserve to be treated like that.

Rafa's general stubborness and the fact he was manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world meant that any time he slipped up he was going to get battered. Unfortunately he slipped up quite a lot last season and was unable to redeem himself this time so he was beaten into submission.

Edited by Paco