You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kop Magazine are reporting that Roy Hodgson

Guest Super Sub

I think we all agree we need about four new good players to get back to where we should be. That was certainly what most people were saying before Rafa went, so what has changed?

Nothing, but we aren't bringing in four new players, we're bringing in a new manager.

At least if it was, for example, Pellegrini I'd be hopeful he could use his knowledge of the Spanish league to maybe sniff us out a bargain or two, take a couple of Madrid players he rates that Mourinho doesn't want, paid for with whatever cash we get from the sales of Mascherano and whoever else ships out. Maybe that's living in a dreamworld, but I don't envisage Hodgson providing that same allure to overseas players. I suspect he isn't very well known at all beyond our shores.

And I can't understand why so many are overlooking his domestic record last year.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit I am not too sure what too make of Hodgson. He is certainly not your typical British manager see Allaydyce, O'Neil etc. I certainly think his record deserves some respect however at 63 I would certainly have expected him too have won some silverware in one of the big leagues by now and his record suggest he has been managing for a long long time.

Its difficult as his career seems to be pretty unique so it is a difficult call as to the likelihood of success as there are no comparable examples.

All this talk of managers who hadn't won stuff and being used as a reason why he may be successful is wide of the mark in my view. As people like Dalglish, Shankly Paisley hadn't managed for some 35 years before their appointment to the Liverpool job where Hodgson has.

From tomorrow's Times

Kenny Dalglish is willing to replace Rafael Benítez as Liverpool manager

— but only if the Anfield board considers him to be the best possible

replacement for the Spaniard.

Dalglish, who resigned as Liverpool manager in 1991 before returning to the

club last year in a new ambassador’s role, had been asked to help Christian

Purslow, the managing director, to find a successor to Benítez, who left last

Thursday by mutual consent.

Benítez was confirmed last night as the new coach of Inter Milan, where he

will succeed José Mourinho. However, Dalglish has told friends

that he would like the job, although he is not willing to compromise the club in

any way by making his interest in the position known.

Roy Hodgson is the early frontrunner to take over at Anfield, with

Liverpool understood to be preparing an approach for the Fulham manager.

But Dalglish, who won three league titles during his six-year spell in charge

from 1985, believes he has the credentials and the standing within the

club to take on the job for a second time.

Such a move would undoubtedly be popular with supporters, who view

Dalglish as a legend, but whether the Liverpool hierarchy believe the

59-year-old is ready to make what would be an emotional return to the

dugout, despite not having managed at the top level for almost a decade, is

open to question.

Dalglish is unlikely to put pressure on the club he served as player and

manager by publicly declaring his interest, but he will inform Purslow and his

fellow board members of his belief that he can do the job if called upon. He can

do so in the confidence that few, if any, of the contenders to succeed Benítez

can boast such an impressive CV and that none of them can match the depth

of his associationwith Liverpool.

Dalglish has always maintained that he would be ready and willing to help

Liverpool in any way should the club call upon his services, but the present

situation is complicated by the fact that he is not on the shortlist that is being

considered and he would have to forgo his role on the selection panel for that

to change.

Inter confirmed that Benítez will take over as manager of the European

champions. “We have reached an agreement and we have sorted out all

the last remaining details,” Massimo Moratti, the president, said. “Tomorrow

we will announce when Benítez will be unveiled to the press.”

Hodgson added: "Philippe is a player that I have admired for a very long time since he captained Switzerland to the UEFA Under-17 Championship in 2002.

"He is a strong defender who has great aerial presence at both ends of the field and has a superb work ethic which is a vital component for any team's success. I am very much looking forward to working with Philippe next season."

yer

Fagan wasn't a 'big name,' and people knew little about him, but he was given a chance and did superbly well (admittedly with a great squad). I dread to think what whining would have gone on if forums had been around then. Actually Hodgson reminds me a bit of Fagan in terms of personality and tactical style, but who knows how he'll do if he does come - but for chrissakes cut the man some slack and cut out the self-induced masochism.

you cannot compare fagan and hodgson,fagan knew the club from top to bottom.he had worked under shanks and paisley and had the respect of all the players that he was about to manage and the poeple who he had as his right hand men had also worked under shanks and paisley,thay also had the respect of the players.he was also taking over a club that were champions and was a well oiled machine were the change over more or less went unnoticed.

I wish we would all stop bleating and get behind Hodgson if he is the man deemed suitable by King Kenny. If its good enough for Dalglish its good enough for me and we need someone 'no nonsense' at the minute. Roy certainly fits that particular bill.

For over a decade we've flirted with haute cuisine and tapas, time for some good old fashioned steak pie!

Guest Pistonbroke
Nothing, but we aren't bringing in four new players, we're bringing in a new manager.

At least if it was, for example, Pellegrini I'd be hopeful he could use his knowledge of the Spanish league to maybe sniff us out a bargain or two, take a couple of Madrid players he rates that Mourinho doesn't want, paid for with whatever cash we get from the sales of Mascherano and whoever else ships out. Maybe that's living in a dreamworld, but I don't envisage Hodgson providing that same allure to overseas players. I suspect he isn't very well known at all beyond our shores.

And I can't understand why so many are overlooking his domestic record last year.

How do you come to that conclusion ? Obviously you don't know much about the man and where he has managed.

I think we might be getting carried away.

Ladbrokes are still giving 6/4 on Hodgson & aren't noted for giving money away, so it seems a bit strange to me if it is all signed & sealed & no-marks like me know it, that an organisation like Laddys don't.

because they are blinded by fulhams europa run:no in reality he's just the flavour of moment,if fulham hadn't got to the final no one would be looking at him.

id prefer if we could get new owners in place before any manager is sorted out, what man is going to wreck his managerial career with those 2 clowns in charge? new owners and break the bank for hiddink, hes an attacking manager instead of the defensive shit we had with the last 2 especially rafa, what other team in the premier league plays 2 defensive midfielders and 1 striker up front for home games against crap teams????? he sold robbie keane and in near 18months still hadnt bought anyone up front what a shambles this guy was

How do you come to that conclusion ? Obviously you don't know much about the man and where he has managed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Inter is the only 'big' foreign team he's managed, and not at a time when they were a massive team. I'd be very impressed if many players currently playing in La Liga or the Bundesliga were aware of his managerial career and I suspect it would be mostly the old guard in Serie A who would remember him. So I wouldn't say he was as high profile as Pellegrini who has managed Villareal and Real Madrid in recent years.

id prefer if we could get new owners in place before any manager is sorted out, what man is going to wreck his managerial career with those 2 clowns in charge? new owners and break the bank for hiddink, hes an attacking manager instead of the defensive shit we had with the last 2 especially rafa, what other team in the premier league plays 2 defensive midfielders and 1 striker up front for home games against crap teams????? he sold robbie keane and in near 18months still hadnt bought anyone up front what a shambles this guy was

hiddink has just taken over the turkey job and if i remember right he never breaks a contract.

What I don't get is the people who, at the end of last season, were discussing Rafa's slide to seventh with the current squad as a disaster, citing 'bizarre substitutions' and 'losing the dressing room' as contributory factors in missing out on the Champions League. Suddenly Hodgson's in the frame and it's all 'steady the ship' and 'consolidate our position' and nobody is speaking with any ambition at all, nobody's talking about challenging for the title or the CL and suddenly 7th is apparently acceptable before the new season's even begun.

There's an assumption that we'll lose some of our best players behind that 'steady the ship' stuff. As long as we keep Mascherano, Reina, Gerrard, Carragher, Maxi and Torres, I feel confident that should he get the job Woy will comfortably do better than 7th, no matter what investment the other teams get.

# Dalglish so passionate about #Liverpool he'd help in any way. If candidates 2 succeed Rafa not deemed good enough I'm sure Kenny would do it

about 1 hour ago via web

# I've just helped #Kenny Dalglish write a book about his love affair with #Liverpool and I know he would love to manage LFC again

about 1 hour ago via web

Henry Winter (henrywinter) on Twitter

Its going to be Kenny.

Get the fuck in.

I'm off to bed too.

yea, i'd feel better if kenny was to takeover the job. with the times and winter indicating his interest ...

That's what I get out of this thread. It's going to be Kenny and we can all focus on pulling in the same direction (supporting the manager and the team and trying to push the yanks out).

Guest Pistonbroke
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Inter is the only 'big' foreign team he's managed, and not at a time when they were a massive team. I'd be very impressed if many players currently playing in La Liga or the Bundesliga were aware of his managerial career and I suspect it would be mostly the old guard in Serie A who would remember him. So I wouldn't say he was as high profile as Pellegrini who has managed Villareal and Real Madrid in recent years.

I live in Germany and can tell you that Beckenbauer and his gang have utmost respect for Hodgson. Plus he's managed in Norway, Switzerland at club and International level, Denmark, Sweden, Italy....need i go on ? So your comment about him not being known outside of our shores is way off the mark.