You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The mighty Lucas Leiva.

Code

Surprise, surprise for some I guess, but he did not make the Brazilian squad for the World Cup.

These did though.

Keepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (AS Roma), Gomes (Tottenham Hotspur)

Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (AS Roma), Luisao (Benfica), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)

Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Felipe Melo (Fiorentina), Ramires (Benfica), Elano (Galatasaray), Kaka (Real Madrid), Julio Baptista (Roma), Kleberson (Flamengo), Josue (VfL Wolfsburg).

Strikers: Robinho (Santos), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Nilmar (Villarreal), Grafite (VfL Wolfsburg).

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's boss that not making the Brazil World Cup squad is used to have a go at a player.

Sorry Ian I have to disappoint you here, but its more a go at those who have tried to talk up Lucas credentials as a player by saying he is a Brazil international while he has hardly started 3 games for them and those he has been playing in have been mostly meaningless friendlies.

Considering he has got such amount of playing time for us this year I guess there was no chance in hell for him being called up, if he had played far less he might have been picked just because he was a Liverpool player, but I guess its been impossible for Dunga to avoid watching him play this season since he has played as much.

The thing with Insua, is that he actually isn't a bad player.He's just not good enough to play as often as he has done in the past, and he's nowhere near the quality of the player he has replaced this season I.E Alonso.

:whistle:

Embarrassing stuff.

Not suggesting for a second that Lucas is a world-beater and see him as cover at best, but I can't remember a single moment this season where he has been on the pitch where I have thought he hasn't been trying 100%.

Never mind , lets take the piss out of him for not making the World Cup.

The Liverpool Way indeed.

Sorry Ian I have to disappoint you here, but its more a go at those who have tried to talk up Lucas credentials as a player by saying he is a Brazil international while he has hardly started 3 games for them and those he has been playing in have been mostly meaningless friendlies.

Considering he has got such much playing time for us this year I guess there was no chance in hell for him being called up, if he had played far less he might have been picked just because he was a Liverpool player, but I guess its been impossible for Dunga to avoid watching him play this season since he has played as much.

Fair do's, although I find it funny that you think I'd be in anyway disappointed by you having reasoning for your post.

Embarrassing stuff.

Not suggesting for a second that Lucas is a world-beater and see him as cover at best, but I can't remember a single moment this season where he has been on the pitch where I have thought he hasn't been trying 100%.

Never mind , lets take the piss out of him for not making the World Cup.

The Liverpool Way indeed.

Ah but in fairness the majority of people on here arn't. I'd hazard a guess that most people are of the opinion that hes just quite average.

in a subtle way your slating the boss there.

I dont know the exact figures but we didnt get a kings ransom for riise and murphy went for a lot less than what we bought lucas for

Probably similar fees to be fair although Murphy didn't want to stay when Rafa came here and most wanted Riise gone at the point he went.

Probably similar fees to be fair although Murphy didn't want to stay when Rafa came here and most wanted Riise gone at the point he went.

Thats my point. its indicative of how we are slipping. most of us thought riise and murphy were not good enough, yet they would have prob played most of our games this season if still here.

I accept that both insua and lucas are younger but they dont look like they are going to improve dramatically enough to be top class players.

Did Pato not make the squad either??

Brazil coach Carlos Dunga has announced his 23-man squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa this summer.

As was widely anticipated in the weeks building up to the announcement, there is no place for AC Milan star Ronaldinho. Dunga has also omitted Flamengo striker Adriano and Corinthians pair Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos, all of whom had faint hopes of making the squad. Two of Brazil's rising stars in Alexandre Pato and Neymar are also staying at home.

The core of the team from the qualifying campaign remains though, while there are also call-ups for Tottenham Hotspur 'keeper Heurelho Gomes, Cruzeiro veteran Gilberto and, perhaps most surprisingly, Wolfsburg striker Grafite.

Strange one - id have included Pato and Roladhino - great impact subs if nothing else. Dungs a bit like rafa - prefers graft to guile. Not going down well in brazil.

That is a pretty poor Brazil team in comparison to previous teams. There are no superstars (maybe Kaka but he bores me)

There is not Ronaldo's, Rivaldo's;Romario's Ronaldinio type.

Maybe that will be a good thing as it seems a lot of players are similar to dunga in there more european type grafters.

I would have thought Lucas would have got in ahead of at least one of Gilberto or Kleberson. Not seen them two play a lot recently mind. Pato not going is an odd one, and there seems to be a real lack of flair players there. Strange squad from Dunga.