You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Surely his worst comment ever

Hermes

The last part, "to me even a bad Liverpool side should have gotten something from the game" Well, Msr Houillier how the hell are you going to get something from the game with three fullbacks on the flaming bench? Yeah, lets hit them in the last half-hour- BY SUBBING full backs. It wouldn't surprise me if he becnhed Henchoz for blasting over the bar- or put him upfront with Emil*. Nothing surprises me anymore. If we lose to Wolves he'll say they are a quality side cause they beat the mancs. Here is the starting 11 for Wednesday-

Dudek

Finnan Cheyrou Hyppia Murphy

Hamman Luzi Riise Owen

Carra Henchoz

Cheyrou is midfielder, so he can play central defence. Luzi needs to play as I signed him, so I'll put him in midfiwld with JAR. Mikey can get his form back playing in the midfield. I told Henchoz to keep his shots down and the goals will come, and if Henchoz can play forward so can Carra- plus less chance of reinjurin g himself up front. The substitues will be Kirkland, Harrison and Jones because three fullbacks didn't work last time so maybe three keepers will. Wolves are a top quality side and with a little luck could be challenging for CL spot. And I would like to have Martin O'Neill to stop calling me. This time we will turn the corner where we'll find blessings in disguise. Maybe they will be disguised as footballers with names like Heske* and Biscan, non?

I've just read through his comment again. Is he saying we deliberately defended in the first half at Yeovil? Paisley and Shankly often told the team to "quiten the crowd" in the first 20 minutes. I didn't agree with it then. The best way to "quiten the crowd" is to put 2 goals past their goalkeeper in the first 20 minutes.

I feel a "Dear Mr. Moores......" letter welling up inside of me.

By the way, bet you're wrong on the Wolves line up.;)

"I don't think we have a level of maturity at the moment to manage that in a game like this."

Shoot me. Now.

The whole article made no sense to me. My son reminded me of the actions taken by Bobby Robson last season when Newcastle were 2 zip down and managed to gain a point. I still can't get my head around his selections for the bench!!!:dunno:

What bizarre comments. I can't see how they make sense. Is he criticising his own gameplan? The last paragraph seems to be someone else's comments - surely not GH's.

Knowing how GH is full of excuses, these words don't seem to be his.

If they are his, then please, SHOOT ME AS WELL!

While I agree that most of Houllier's post match comments are either complete gibberish or simple bullshit, I would very much like to know what his biggest critics would want him to say (apart from "I quit":D )

If he says: "I am very disappointed with my players etc." then people would say, "well you bought them, now go".

If he says "We weren't up for it etc." then people would retort with "Well, it's your job to motivate them, now go"

If he says "The seagulls follow the trawler", then people would say...

...get my drift?

What do you want him to say after a defeat. He can't not do the interviews so he's got to say something. What would it be, seriously? What should he have said after Spurs (or any other defeat?)

Thought this today was a bit naughty though

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N143470040119-1337.htm

Not once did he say we would be higher in the league but for referees, as the headline suggests. He merely pointed out that we have been denied four blatant pens, probably in response to a question about the one we didn't get on saturday.

That headline is misleading and makes him look a tit. What he actually said was true, but it's been reported in a way which suggests he's blaiming refs for our league position.

I know he talks crap and is full of excuses, but this time I think he's been hard done by.

The original quotes in this thread though are indefensible. My question is why are people surprised by them? That's how he plays the game. Always has, always will.

Yeah, fair play about the pens- but you could look at it this way- if Hesk** hadn't missed a sitter agaionst the mancs- 1 pt. If Hesk** had run the ball out against City- 3 pts. Penalties even themselves out (usually)- we got a late one against Fulham. I mean, look at Villa yesterday- now the were hard done by. If that happened to us - christ, what a tit that Halsey is. we are where we are because we are what we are and we are a fifth place squad.

Guest Original202

Even more bizarre when he keeps banging on about our attacking football. I think those comments are an absolute disgrace. By all means adopt those tactics at United, Roma, Barca or wherever, but Tottenham and Yeovil? And I'll add to that Middlesbrough and Newcastle...

How many shots did we have on goal on Saturday by the way....

Basically you can sum it up like this. He's negative, defensive, boring (call it what you will). He won't change, so you're either prepared to accept it, or you aren't. That's oversimplifying things I know, but it's basically how things are.

Personally, I think a manager who sends a team out against Yeovil with instructions to keep it tight til half time has no business at Liverpool Football Club. But that's just me. It certainly explains why he felt his players were 'magnificent' and 'can be proud of themselves' though doesn't it.

Also, to those who criticised the players after that game. How do you feel now, seeing as how the manager has revealed that he told them to play like that in the first half? I was a bit miffed at the attitude of some of the side that day, but now I feel very differently about it.

Guest Original202

If I was a player in the current squad, I don't think I'd be too happy being told to keep it tight. I've thought for a while the players never seem to look like they're enjoying themselves, and I'm not surprised.

Let them play football.

Oh, and his latest comments for the scrap book:

Gerard Houllier claims Liverpool would be higher in the league table had poor refereeing decisions not cost them points this season.

The Reds' manager was seething after Uriah Rennie refused to give his side a late penalty in the 2-1 defeat at Tottenham when Gary Doherty clearly handled the ball inside his own penalty area.

Houllier says Rennie's decision to turn down Liverpool's appeals was the fourth time the Reds have been denied a penalty this season.

"I know we didn't play well, but we should have had a penalty," said the manager. "It was a blatant penalty and it is the fourth occasion since the beginning of the season we have been denied.

"It is incredible, but we should have had a penalty against Manchester United, against Middlesbrough which would have won us the game, against Southampton and now a penalty against Spurs.

"It was cast iron on Saturday. Everyone could see it, but I don't think we played well until the last 20 minutes."

May all have been penalties, but it's no excuse. Had we played better football and created more chances in those matches it wouldn't have mattered. Says a lot when those penalty incidents were in the last part of the game. What about what happened before those incidents???? Excuses excuses. Had we won those games from creating real chances, he would never mention those decisions.

Read the report again.It's one reporter's take on what another reporter has reported GH is supposed to have said.No wonder it doesn't make sense.

My interpretation of this "quote" is the exact opposite to Hermes' interpretation as I think GH is supposed to be saying that in the Prem we CAN'T afford to have the tactic of trying to hold for an hour and then win in the last 30 mins.

Who knows what the f*ck he said and in what context.This is getting a bit like Toffeeweb where we sit around analysing every phrase and sentence he utters or is reported as uttering as if it's the Ten Commandments.

For those older forumites- I'm sure you'll agree that Houllier isn't the first manager we've had who spoke gibberish. Remember Bob Paisley's TV interviews?

Five minutes of "Well, the lads and that, Errmm, we've been playing errmmm, well and that" When he finished you thought "What the f*** did he say?" He didn't make excuses for defeats though, at least I think he didn't. I don't know really, I never understood his interviews.:no

For those older forumites- I'm sure you'll agree that Houllier isn't the first manager we've had who spoke gibberish. Remember Bob Paisley's TV interviews?

Five minutes of "Well, the lads and that, Errmm, we've been playing errmmm, well and that" When he finished you thought "What the f*** did he say?" He didn't make excuses for defeats though, at least I think he didn't. I don't know really, I never understood his interviews.:no

Under Bob you could count the defeats from any one season on one hand.