You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Lurtz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's speechless? Fuck me, what a laugh. Jenson Button can fuck off in second too, he drove a car that was far better than anyone else's and won a load of races, then hung in there for the second half of the season, well done and everything but come on. Also, neither of them have a fucking personality.

I'd have loved to have seen Haye plant one on him but I wouldn't have given it to Haye either, Jessica Ennis got my vote.

I'm trying desperately hard not to turn this into a f**tball thread but is this strategic and extended arselicking exercise by the bbc an attempt to get f***uson to speak to them? Bearing in mind this follows the equally pathetic "lifetime achievement" award to that Ch***ton cunt last year.

It's a marketing exercise by the BBC run with my fucking money. This is the last time I'll be watching this shit show.

I'm trying desperately hard not to turn this into a f**tball thread but is this strategic and extended arselicking exercise by the bbc an attempt to get f***uson to speak to them? Bearing in mind this follows the equally pathetic "lifetime achievement" award to that Ch***ton cunt last year.

It's a marketing exercise by the BBC run with my fucking money. This is the last time I'll be watching this shit show.

What are you talking about? It's voted for by the public.

Also, in a non-Olympic sporting year with no particularly world renowned legendary deats by any British athletes; is it any way shocking that Giggs attracted the most votes when he plays for one of the most popular teams in the country?

Haye? Haye had one fight this year for fucks sake which he spent dancing around a giant cumbersome sloth landing a couple of pot shots for 12 rounds. Who lest we forget stole a decision just 12 months ago against a 46 year old past-it Evander Holyfield.

Personally, I would have gave it to Ennis but am not at all suprised to see Giggs win it and don't see how any people here can be either.

Also, in a non-Olympic sporting year with no particularly world renowned legendary deats by any British athletes; is it any way shocking that Giggs attracted the most votes when he plays for one of the most popular teams in the country?

Haye? Haye had one fight this year for fucks sake which he spent dancing around a giant cumbersome sloth landing a couple of pot shots for 12 rounds. Who lest we forget stole a decision just 12 months ago against a 46 year old past-it Evander Holyfield.

Personally, I would have gave it to Ennis but am not at all suprised to see Giggs win it and don't see how any people here can be either.

He started about 20 games of f*****ll last season. How this can make him a sports personality is beyond me.

Edit: Wiki says he played 28 league games and scored 2 goals. Pfffft.

SPOTY has been a feature of my festive viewing for as long as I can remember but I'm wavering myself now. If this had happened when I was eight, I'd have cried.

I would have gave it to Ennis but am not at all suprised to see Giggs win it and don't see how any people here can be either.

So what are the criteria the bbc use to draw up the shortlist? Do they include "Get some cunt on there from M*n U who will obviously attract far more votes than anyone else due to the number of fuckwits who support them."?

I'm not surprised he won it either but I was gobsmacked to see his name on the shortlist. What's he done to merit being there?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We've had the first British heavyweight since Lewis and Jenson Button took the World Championship after a long career, yet they give it to Giggs. Oh, just fuck off. Is it voted for by the public? If so, it's unfair to have people like that on there. Well, unless they've done something remarkable.

He's speechless? Fuck me, what a laugh. Jenson Button can fuck off in second too, he drove a car that was far better than anyone else's and won a load of races, then hung in there for the second half of the season, well done and everything but come on. Also, neither of them have a fucking personality.

I'd have loved to have seen Haye plant one on him but I wouldn't have given it to Haye either, Jessica Ennis got my vote.

Yeah, because it's dead easy that F1 lark isn't it? The car wasn't far better than anyone elses, any performance advantage the Brawn had was gone after four races. The Red Bulls were consistently better over the full season and Mclaren were equal to them from about halfway onwards.

Not saying Button deserved to win but at least get your facts straight. It just proves what a fucking farce the award is that Giggs won though.

He started about 20 games of f*****ll last season. How this can make him a sports personality is beyond me.

Edit: Wiki says he played 28 league games and scored 2 goals. Pfffft.

Your preaching to the choir mate.

Im just saying that we shouldn't be that suprised that a player who plays for one of the most popular teams in the country attracted the most votes in a not particularly outstanding British sporting year. If Carragher had been nominated, who would everyone on this board vote for?

He also has a higher profile than any of the other contenders having been playing for the Mancs since '92 and hasn't generally attracted the ire of many fans from rival teams over the years from what I can remember.

Also, if Giggs had burst upon the scene last year and produced that exact same season (08/09) that he did as a burgenoing 18 year old, he wouldn't have been within an arse's roar of winning the PFA award. The amount of games he started was irrelevant in the eyes of the players and in the eyes of the voting public as well.

The PFA award was awarded as a sort of life-time achievement award by the players and I can only imagine that the public who voted for him harboured similar setiments to the players who voted him as PFA player of the year.

Yeah, because it's dead easy that F1 lark isn't it? The car wasn't far better than anyone elses, any performance advantage the Brawn had was gone after four races. The Red Bulls were consistently better over the full season and Mclaren were equal to them from about halfway onwards.

Not saying Button deserved to win but at least get your facts straight. It just proves what a fucking farce the award is that Giggs won though.

Whoa there big fella! I'm an F1 fan, I'm certainly not saying it's easy or that Button's win isn't an achievement, but I thought Brawn had the edge technologically speaking until a little further into the season than four races as the other teams were still bedding in the improvements they'd made. It was also a fairly unspectacular season for Ferrari and McLaren (by their admittedly high standards) although as you say, Red Bull in particular were very impressive. I agree they were better in the second half of the season which is why I said Button hung on - he certainly wasn't able to press home his advantage.

The reason I went for Enniss is that she competes in a purely physical sport without all of the technical frippery and behind the scenes intrigue that seems to define F1 these days.

Edit: That and the fact she's got a cracking arse. I definitely prefer it to Button's anyway.

ps. Jessica Ennis and Victoria Pendleton would both get it, big time!

Vicky says sorry, she's kind of busy right now.

Edited by RoboRiise