You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Match Thread (17th October 2009)

Herp McDerp

I'm more concerned about our defense. We all know our attacking options are world class or dogshit with no middle ground but in defense we should be OK. I can only attribute this to midfield.

Carra is being found out because he is being asked to do more than he has had to do in the past simply because midfield is being bypassed.

I don't blame lucas he is not a bad player. Play him with Alonso or Gerrard we may get away with it but play him with a young lad on his debut away to a form team who win games from the top end of the field is asking for trouble.

Silly to think we could control that game today. I would rather have played dirk in the middle.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danish top referee Claus Bo Larsen thinks we should get a rematch. He says that if it had happened in Denmark a rematch would happen 100%. Is there any chance in a million years that it could happen?

Fair play to anybody sadisctic enough to want to go through that again.

Just got home from work & thoroughly pissed off.

Haven't read the whole thread and just seen footage of the goal, but does anyone else think there was a Sunderland player offside. When Bent shot , the player was right in front of the goal? Clutching at straws really, but I think the way Bent looked round he expected it to be disallowed.

Disagree there.

This same team minus Alonso finished second last season and do not suddenly become shite overnight.

Injuries to Agger and Aurelio plus the fact the player we signed to replace Alonso is injured have taken there toll.

Then today you have Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano all missing from the starting line up and we were always going to be weaker.

You trying to tell me that only Liverpool would miss probably the best striker in the world, the best all round midfielder and one of the best defensive midfielders all from their team.

That's why the undead said squad not team.

They could of won 4-0, we were absolute rubbish.

I don't even feel pissed off I just feel resigned to the fact almost, I'm resigned to the fact we won't be challenging this year and we have gone back to fighting for a top 4 spot.

I was trying to think on the bright side that now we will be really focussed on Europe but at the moment I think we have no chance there are so many better teams than us and we have lost Xabi who was vital to our European success so maybe it's FA cup of bust.

Aquilani is going to have to be one hell of a player if we are going to salvage anything from this season.

They could of won 4-0, we were absolute rubbish.

I don't even feel pissed off I just feel resigned to the fact almost, I'm resigned to the fact we won't be challenging this year and we have gone back to fighting for a top 4 spot.

I don't even know about a top 4 spot mate Just look at the teams fighting for it: Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal and City. Do you seriously think we have a better squad than them?

I'm really worried we won't even be in the CL next season.

Danish top referee Claus Bo Larsen thinks we should get a rematch. He says that if it had happened in Denmark a rematch would happen 100%. Is there any chance in a million years that it could happen?

The English FA do not do replays for completed matches. Ever - for anything.

If all the match officials were caught 5 minutes after a game collecting brown envelopes the result would still stand.

I've said it once and I'll say it again- our set-pieces are beyond woeful. It's an absolute joke who somebody paid £20k a week can't get a corner past the first man.

I was furious about that as well - again - yesterday. Fabio's famed dead ball skills aren't exactly consistent.

But the danish commentator said that no team had scored more from corners in the league than Liverpool?! He said we are at five so far. Without having the mental ability to go through our goals on a sunday morning, I find that hard to believe.

It's not much fun supporting Liverpool is it really?

It really is a bit shit.

It's a massive pile of shit with the occasional lump of gold.

The worst thing is I look forward to the game all week and now even if we win it's going to be an empty feeling unless teams above us also lose. This feeling has come a lot early than it usually does.

It's a massive pile of shit with the occasional lump of gold.

The worst thing is I look forward to the game all week and now even if we win it's going to be an empty feeling unless teams above us also lose. This feeling has come a lot early than it usually does.

I remember we played Boro away during the dreadful 03/04 season. We were absolutely woeful (I don't even think we had a shot on target that day) and it was fucking freezing. I was in the bogs at half-time having a piss and some fella commented to the lad next to him, 'if it wasn't for the ale and having a laugh with your mates, you'd sack it off'. Everybody, and I mean, everybody in the bogs just stood there nodding their heads and mumbled agreement to themselves.

I remember we played Boro away during the dreadful 03/04 season. We were absolutely woeful (I don't even think we had a shot on target that day) and it was fucking freezing. I was in the bogs at half-time having a piss and some fella commented to the lad next to him, 'if it wasn't for the ale and having a laugh with your mates, you'd sack it off'. Everybody, and I mean, everybody in the bogs just stood there nodding their heads and mumbled agreement to themselves.

Unacceptable behaviour!

I thought the team Rafa picked was wrong.

I don't mind Kuyt up front but only in a 442.

I was actually happy when I heard the team, considering the players missing. I would have played Babel up front though because as you say, Kuyt up front alone just doesn't work.

This is just another game to add to the list on that score.

I thought the team Rafa picked was wrong.

I don't mind Kuyt up front but only in a 442.

Exactly I think everyone agreed on this last season but Rafa still does it when time after time it doesn't work.

No one in our squad can do what Torres does so why even try and replicate it, it's another one of Rafa's quirks he's developed not playing 2 up front.

I was actually happy when I heard the team, considering the players missing. I would have played Babel up front though because as you say, Kuyt up front alone just doesn't work.

This is just another game to add to the list on that score.

I didn't know who would play where when i heard the team.

I'd have just played a 442 with Riera and Yossi wide, Lucas Mascherano in the middle with Kuyt and Babel up front. Probably.

I'd have definitely played 2 up front though cos i don't think we have anyone othe rthan Torres who can play the lone striker role well enough.

I had the misfortune of sitting through the nightmare with the Sunderland fans. It is quite clear the aura we once had is in its last wane and we will continue to see 'smaller' teams approach games against us with growing confidence.

Considering we have only played one game from the mini league (which arguably has grown with the addition of City) we could easily see our loss column rise to double digits this season. We really have to improve siginificantly and quickly.