You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kyrgiakos is making his Liverpool debut tonight.

Guest simon

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I was happy with his performance. I thought he was solid for most of the game, with only a couple of 'new boy' misunderstandings. I think he is more than capable of supporting the centre backs.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I will make a bold prediction then and he will prove to be worse than Pelegrino.

A pointless signinng IMO

You know what, Hamstrung? You were right.

Idiot! By far the better performer of our two cbs today, yet it's the new foreigner who get's the stick, not the local hero. Quelle surprise...

It was the freekick that he gave away that cost us a goal, but agree he was better than Carragher today.

The most worrying thing was not his performance, but yet another awful game by Carragher.

But we can't even drop him now Sami's gone, not that I think Benitez would have the balls to anyway.

Agree with that, must admit I'd be tempted to give the Skrtel/Kyrgiakos combo a go to see if we could get a bit more presence in the box. Always rated Carragher for his positioning and (last-ditch) tackles. Seems to be a fraction late these days, and gets pushed around too easily for my liking (especially for a CB). Not for a second lauding Kyrgiakos as any long time solution to our problems, but for now (at least) we need someone dominant in the box, and I think the big man did OK today against two very physical forwards - Kevin Davies is probably one of the toughest opponents in the league when it comes to pure strength and bullying. Even Sami has struggled with Davies from time to time.

Looked better than the sadly risible Carragher.

As great as Carragher has been for us, he looked to be on the slide at times last season and all indications now are that he's just gone. It's absolutely no criticism of all that he's given the club, or the fantastic player he's been but sometimes players will just go suddenly, and unless he improves massively over the next game or two that's exactly what appears to have happened to him. No different to boxing where sometimes a fighter will just get old overnight and there's no room for sentiment and an automatic place in the team this season if he can't find his form soon.

Perhaps it's a perfect example of what a fantastic player he's been for us - never the most natural talent, but possessing an inhuman ability to push himself to the limit in countless fantastic performances. For someone of his style, even if the decline in his physicality is actually very small it could look much bigger and have a greater impact on his game than it would on most.