You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No more signings?

Hermes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The injury risk for Liverpool is not all that different than the injury risk from 2 of the big 3. In the starting 11 IMO, Liverpool - Gerrard or Torres is better than MU - Rooney, or Arsenal - Cesc, because those two players are so central to their teams and no-one they can put in is remotely on that level. We might be on the level of Chelsea - Drogba too, but less certain on that one.

I do think we need more depth, but it is just more quality bench depth. We certainly don't have a Deco, Ballack or Ivanovic or Valencia, Giggs, Scholes or Owens type quality of depth--and our budget we never will.

But a couple of more solid players would help. I think the Shawcres/Turner/Distin for relatively cheap would be smart. I think hope to upgrade in a starting winger or superior replacement striker than what we got is just not going to happen--too costly.

Of course we CAN win with the current squad- but our chances would be improved with another attacking option to break down the parked bus. It seems a bit of a missed opportunity really. Johnson for Arbeloa may give more attacking threat but be more suspect defensively. Aquilani for Alonso may or may not work out. We have two new players to bed in, and overall may be slightly weaker than last season (IMHO).

It's just a shame that with the usual £20M and the £12M or so from the sale of Keane we couldn't buy that creative spark we needed. Of course, Alonso wanting to leave didn't help, but his fee has funded Aquilani and a chunk of Johnson- so where's the money gone? I'm still hoping Rafa's got a surprise up his sleeve.

The issue I have with the squad, is the fact that it's a bit on the thin side. We can't expect the likes of Gerrard and Torres to play every week because it's not particularly feesible in the modern game to do so.

When Torres misses games, we struggle to replace him with a genuine goal threat. Kuyt up front alone is proven not to work but I fear that we'll see it at some stage of the season, and if we do I won't be happy at all because it would be proof that we're not learning from past mistakes.

N'Gog is a really raw player and not someone I would want to be relying on to score goals and win games at this stage either. I haven't really been banging the drum for us to sign a striker because I feel we need to be looking at the wide areas as a priority, but when i've sat down and thought about it, our lack of genuine quality up front (Torres a-side) is a big worry to me.

If Gerrard misses games, then obviously that's a massive miss too due to his quality, but I would trust Benayoun to slot into his role and have at least an above-average chance of succeeding.

Why?

Ah I just thought Hermes was doing his usual negative thing. Didn't really think about the post, was about to go out. 3rd shouldn't be our best hope either, even if we don't sign another player, it should be 1st. There's just no fucking point otherwise.

The issue I have with the squad, is the fact that it's a bit on the thin side. We can't expect the likes of Gerrard and Torres to play every week because it's not particularly feesible in the modern game to do so.

When Torres misses games, we struggle to replace him with a genuine goal threat. Kuyt up front alone is proven not to work but I fear that we'll see it at some stage of the season, and if we do I won't be happy at all because it would be proof that we're not learning from past mistakes.

N'Gog is a really raw player and not someone I would want to be relying on to score goals and win games at this stage either. I haven't really been banging the drum for us to sign a striker because I feel we need to be looking at the wide areas as a priority, but when i've sat down and thought about it, our lack of genuine quality up front (Torres a-side) is a big worry to me.

If Gerrard misses games, then obviously that's a massive miss too due to his quality, but I would trust Benayoun to slot into his role and have at least an above-average chance of succeeding.

Mate, I hear exactly what you're saying, but how do you square that with the outcome of last season in the light of Gerrard and Torres both missing significant numbers games and key ones, too? The one doubt I have is not so much over the attack, but over the loss of Xabi. He was the main man who made the rest play last season. That's not so vital when the two big guns are fit, but it's crucial when they're not.

That said, I'd still prioritise another match winner over any other position now, if we're to conduct further business.

Bringing in a striker should have been a priority, as we haven't got anyone in the squad who can play as a lone striker in the absence of Torres. Kuyt lacks the mobility and touch to play that role, Ngog is still very raw as you say, Babel is very hit and miss and Voronin isn't good enough.

Unless we bring in a striker before the end of August, I think we would have to change to a 4-4-2 if Torres was out and go with Kuyt and Babel up front.

No, but we need to learn from past mistakes.

Stoke away being a classic example.

We have - we've signed a more attacking full back and a more attacking CM. And besides, those mistakes were surely learned last season post-'Boro. The key to this season will be maintaining our attacking aggression, maintaining the fitness of Torres and Gerrard and adapting to life without Xabi. If we do all three, we'll win the league. Clearly new signings add further insurance against injury, but you could say that about any club on the planet. There comes a time where you simply have to step up to the plate.

We have - we've signed a more attacking full back and a more attacking CM. And besides, those mistakes were surely learned last season post-'Boro. The key to this season will be maintaining our attacking aggression, maintaining the fitness of Torres and Gerrard and adapting to life without Xabi. If we do all three, we'll win the league. Clearly new signings add further insurance against injury, but you could say that about any club on the planet. There comes a time where you simply have to step up to the plate.

I'd like to agree with that, but I can't shake the thought that I've heard that every summer for as long as I can remember - do we not always finish the season in a manner that suggests we've learned lessons, only to start the next one like we've learned fuck all?

I would go for Van Der Vaart if he is going as cheap as the press say he is...Quality player and has the ability to unlock a defense.

Rampant Arsenal eye £6m Rafael van der Vaart as Real Madrid midfielder reveals Premier League dream | Mail Online

Arsene Wenger saw his Arsenal side produce a stunning riposte to doubters with a 6-1 win at Everton and then prepared to spend a portion of the £38million raised in the transfer market after Real Madrid's Rafael van der Vaart revealed he hopes to move to the Premier League.

Despite Arsenal's dazzling start, Wenger is considering strengthening the squad with 26-year-old midfielder Van der Vaart, who is available for just £6m after becoming involved in a bitter dispute with Real.

'I really want to come to England.

'There are a number of clubs with offers, where I can go in Germany, Spain and Italy. I have also had a request from Martin Jol to go back to Ajax. But none of those options appeal to me. I want to go to the Premier League and I know where I want to play.'

He's a purchased asset of Real Madrid who is under contract. They have clearly made him available but just because no one wants him doesn't mean ge can walk out on a contract.

Just some lawyer trying to get in the paper

I'd like to agree with that, but I can't shake the thought that I've heard that every summer for as long as I can remember - do we not always finish the season in a manner that suggests we've learned lessons, only to start the next one like we've learned fuck all?

We started last season really well - a key factor in our finish, in my view.

If VdV is available for £6m we should be in there pronto. I'd have thought he'd be of interest to all the top clubs in this country bar possible The Arse who have a surfeit of similar players. £6m is peanuts in this market for a player of his quality; a genuine bargain.

We started last season really well - a key factor in our finish, in my view.

Results wise, yes, but you have to admit we played pretty shit, defensive football up until February/March time - by which point we'd had the draws that cost us.

If VdV is available for £6m we should be in there pronto. I'd have thought he'd be of interest to all the top clubs in this country bar possible The Arse who have a surfeit of similar players. £6m is peanuts in this market for a player of his quality; a genuine bargain.

Agreed. Van Der Vaart would be a snip at £6m and can play in a number of different positions. Great delivery at set pieces too which is something that we need to improve at.

I would be surprised if Arsenal were in for him when they already have Van Persie, Nasri, Arshavin, Rosicky and Walcott, although some of those are out injured.