You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Straw refuses Shields pardon

Stevie P

Sheilds' Mob are not demanding a re-trial; they are demanding him to be pardoned and freed - despite him (Shields) being identified by the victim and independant witnesses at the scene.

That would be the ID parade he was in with 5 indigenous Bulgarian men with thick heads of black hair, after being handcuffed to a radiator in the reception of the station he was being held in whilst in full view of said witnesses.

The whole thing stinks of shit. Bin it on the footy fan, any footy fan we can find. Its scary to think an innocent person can go away in Europe to watch a footy game and be treated with no human rights at all.

What happened to being innocent until proven guilty? Michael wasn't even afforded that privilege and those casting dispersions on the back of some non-decision from a spineless politician should be ashamed.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
You mean the queue of people outside Shields' room stretching halfway around the block who were just there on the off-chance to see what Mikey was up to?

Just as credible as your independant witnesses, no?

Or are you suggesting the staff at the Hotel where somehow forced to lie?

Spineless politician? It is FAR FAR easier to pardon him than not do so mate.

How when the official statement you yourself quoted said the test was 'very high'.

Its a crock of shit. So to be guilty you have to convinced 'beyond reasonable doubt' he was guilty which they never even achieved in the sham trial. Yet to grant the pardon it must be set in stone he was innocent. Where's the logic?

The BBC article says

"He is already due for release in May 2010."

Is that correct ?

It was originally 18 years, then reduced to 10 on appeal you're entitled to parole after half that time, so is probably the main reason why Jack Straw has come to this non decision.

Jack Straw a man who has slithered his way through government without ever making a serious decision.

Not sure I agree with that Rash, but the point is that if Jack Straw truly believed that Shields was innocent, he could have pardoned him completely. Perhaps the lie detector test was not carried out under proper conditions or something like that, I don't know.

Mate lie detecter tests are not accurate enough to make judicial decisions with.

Not sure I agree with that Rash, but the point is that if Jack Straw truly believed that Shields was innocent, he could have pardoned him completely. Perhaps the lie detector test was not carried out under proper conditions or something like that, I don't know.

My understanding is that lie detector tests are hugely unreliable and I'm not even sure such a test is admissible anyway.

EDIT: Rashid got there first.

Yet to grant the pardon it must be set in stone he was innocent.

That is where the danger lies. People are looking at this pardon as one case but there is a bigger picture here. It's not a simple as this one case. If he was/is granted the pardon, then it opens a door for other cases where British citizens have been convicted abroad.

Straw needed to be very careful with this one. It was/is a potential time bomb for future appeals and cases (outside Michael's)

My understanding is that lie detector tests are hugely unreliable and I'm not even sure such a test is admissible anyway.

EDIT: Rashid got there first.

It's true, but the lad passed it with a 99.4% score. One of the highest scores ever produced in this country.

Not saying they are reliable as 75% is the pass rate, but the fella who did it with him was impressed.