You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Is that 62% for Non-EU nationals, and 25% for EU nationals?

The top UK marginal tax rate will be 62%.

That applies to EU citizens.

Non-EU citizens can take non-dom status & receive it offshore (& ahem,cough, 'forget' to inform their home country exactly what they are getting)

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top UK marginal tax rate will be 62%.

That applies to EU citizens.

Non-EU citizens can take non-dom status & receive it offshore (& ahem,cough, 'forget' to inform their home country exactly what they are getting)

That's an unbelievable amount of tax. Whilst they do get paid ridiculous amounts of money, you would be loathe to pay that much into a country you have no intention of staying in.

No mate, not at all. The clubs are meeting to discuss it though.

Ok, cheers for the info.

I like Downing, but Im not sure he's got that certain something to be the man we need. He doesnt score like Kuyt does from the right and he's not shown me enough trickery to be the answer as the mythical winger we all dsire. However, he's often a one man show for Boro and it could be with more space and time (with defenders marking Gerrard and Torres etc) and better players around him he could be very good. A loan deal would be superb for us, letting us test teh water, without getting burnt, in this time of little transfer money. Maybe the injury will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, for him and us.

Daily Mail saying Rafa hopes to sign Glen Johnson in the next few days for £17m. Can't see it happening myself but as he missed out on Barry he may be willing to pay over the odds for Johnson and his englishness. If it did happen perhaps Arbeloa will go back to Spain to help finance it with Darby/Degen as back-up.

Whilst I can see the need for a better RB and quite like Johnson, the 17m suggested sounded too much when we have other areas that perhaps need reinforcing more. However, if its made up of 7m for Crouch being written off and a large chunk (6 to 8m) of the remaining 10m paid off by Arbeloa going to Spain a 2-4m outlay in signing Johnson would be an excellent acquisition.

I would prefer us to keep our squad intact and make no signings than male the kind of sacrifices being speculated

Same here. Last year was the worst season for injuries in a while.

With much of hte off field issues sorted (bar the key one of course), one would hope that with a little bit of luck on the injury front, we'd get more than 14 league games from the G&T axis of beauty and at least equal last seasons league achievements.

Sacrificing either of our midfield generals with noone availble to replace would be madness. Indeed, if we could swap Lucas for Sissoko and Voronin for Crouch Id be very confident of another excellent league season.

We need to get rid of those that don't want to be here - which appears to be Alonso and Mascherano - and bring in those who do.

Get on with it.

Yes, however dissapointing it would be, its clear if they dont want to be here, they should move on, though I can understand us trying to get the best deal.

Do you think Masch and Xabi listen to the Clash at all ?

replacing both in one summer, even with 100m, would be tough.

Yes, however dissapointing it would be, its clear if they dont want to be here, they should move on, though I can understand us trying to get the best deal.

Do you think Masch and Xabi listen to the Clash at all ?

replacing both in one summer, even with 100m, would be tough.

I was thinking about this, and a bit worried should one go, I haven't comtemplated both going, if Mascherano went I would like Scott Parker or Xabi Martinez, but I would also sign Viera just for a couple of seasons whilst Martinez is bedding in.

If Alonso went I would go for Baraca and Viera, as well as Martinez, my worry is Martinez settling in, leaving Mascherano and Lucas, at least with somebody like Viera and Barraca you would be a bit more confident in their ability to settle.

Basically either way I would look at signing Viera.

I was thinking about this, and a bit worried should one go, I haven't comtemplated both going, if Mascherano went I would like Scott Parker or Xabi Martinez, but I would also sign Viera just for a couple of seasons whilst Martinez is bedding in.

If Alonso went I would go for Baraca and Viera, as well as Martinez, my worry is Martinez settling in, leaving Mascherano and Lucas, at least with somebody like Viera and Barraca you would be a bit more confident in their ability to settle.

If you worked for us, I'd want you sacked with immediate effect.

If you worked for us, I'd want you sacked with immediate effect.

haha, I really like the lad, always thought he was a really underated player. Put it this way, I think Arsenal have missed a trick not signing him.

But I have to admit, he hasn't done anything to warrant being mentioned in the same breadth as Masch, he is just one of those players who always impressed me when I watch him.

Like Tom Huddlestone.

Vieria and Parker to replace alonso and mascha are you taking the fucking piss. Thats like having a 62" lcd sony TV and a Aston Martin DB9 and swapping them for a 12" hitachi and a nissan micra.

Read the post again! I didn't say I want them to replace either of them!

I'm sorry, but that's quite possibly the maddest post I've ever read on here.

Whilst I can see the need for a better RB and quite like Johnson, the 17m suggested sounded too much when we have other areas that perhaps need reinforcing more. However, if its made up of 7m for Crouch being written off and a large chunk (6 to 8m) of the remaining 10m paid off by Arbeloa going to Spain a 2-4m outlay in signing Johnson would be an excellent acquisition.

How is this a benefit unless there was a risk of defaulting by Pompey which is unlikely with their new ownership. I've seen this backdoor accounting continually peddled here and its wrong. Its almost viewed as some sort of discount :wallbutt:

How is this a benefit unless there was a risk of defaulting by Pompey which is unlikely with their new ownership. I've seen this backdoor accounting continually peddled here and its wrong. Its almost viewed as some sort of discount :wallbutt:

I agree with what your saying but that point is, I assume, we wouldnt get that 7m this year, its would be paid back over the duration of Crouchs contract, so another 2.5m this season and so on. Its gives us an extra 5m to spend now, when we need it.

I agree with what your saying but that point is, I assume, we wouldnt get that 7m this year, its would be paid back over the duration of Crouchs contract, so another 2.5m this season and so on. Its gives us an extra 5m to spend now, when we need it.

Fair enough.

BTW I like Johnson too and think if we are to persist with Dirk he is exactly the right player to compliment him on the right.

Football Pools website claim that Turkish press are linking us and manure with a £13m bid for Arda Turan. Rubbish website I know but would be a great deal if true. I think I'd even prefer him to Silva for £20m. Any Turks out there who could confirm??

I'm sorry, but that's quite possibly the maddest post I've ever read on here.

The scariest part is that he's talking about Ruben BARAJA, and Javi Martinez, but cannot spell their names. I mean... he's really screwing their names up.

Baraja is what? 33 next year? Vieira is what? 33/34 as well?

Great fucking plan.

Fuck me, I escape RAWK to avoid clueless statements like this. Fucking utter bollocks.

Anyone heard anything about Darren Bent? I've received a number of texts today saying we are strongly in for him. Now I dont have anyone with good insider info but a few have been right on occasion.

Anyone heard anything?