You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool in new takeover

dandyman

Got a text last night about this Kuwait deal, and then its on the beeb website, anyone now anymore about it - or about the Kuwait people

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Liverpool | Liverpool 'in new takeover talks'

By Phil McNulty

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks in talks with Kuwait billionaire, Nasser Al-Kharafi over a possible takeover.

It is understood meetings have taken place in London between aides of the tycoon, who has an estimated £9bn fortune, and Hicks' representatives.

Hicks and his co-owner George Gillet are valuing the club at around £550m.

The American duo's reign has been dogged by controversy since their £218m takeover in February 2007 and it appears they are now willing to sell.

Reports suggest talks with Al-Kharafi initially took place as part of attempts to finance Liverpool's proposed new stadium in Stanley Park, but turned to a buy-out.

Liverpool's commercial director Ian Ayre and finance director Philip Nash have been in the Middle East to continue the discussions.

BBC Sport understands that even though the relationship between Hicks and Gillett has been troubled, they may be united in their desire to sell at the right price.

It has also been suggested that the Al-Kharafi family would take a 50% stake in the club with Hicks and Gillett then retaining 25% each - but Anfield sources suggest this is unlikely.

The regime of Hicks and Gillett has become deeply unpopular among fans after early optimism, and the US tycoons have just been given an extra six months to repay a £350m loan from the Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia.

Manager Rafael Benitez had public differences with the owners, who admitted they met former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann when doubts emerged over his future.

Hicks also demanded the resignation of chief executive Rick Parry last season after labelling his time in charge "a disaster".

And the pair's plans for a new stadium have also stalled after spiralling costs meant it would cost around £450m rather than the original estimate of £300m.

Benitez is currently locked in a contract wrangle with the Anfield hierarchy as he demands greater control over transfers at the club.

The Al-Kharafi family have made their fortune from a variety of enterprises, including construction, banking, engineering, telecommunications and fast food.

They were originally approached by Liverpool last year. The talks broke down but have now been revived, with Hicks - a supporter of Benitez amid the recent boardroom turmoil at Anfield - seemingly the driving force

I hope we're not leaping out of a frying pan here

How the hell did you think this was not already debated on here? HOW??? Are you blind, stupid or do you just not bother what's already posted before you do this? I despair

Someone show me the thread then and I'll debate it with you there.

OK, so about 10 threads have been merged

I was looking for a thread on its own, and in my haste missed the (Kuwaiti tagged on to Hicks, Pary etcal)

My humble apologies forumites:(

ANy chance a MOD would like to delete this thread