You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

images of war

neko

so much for this thread.

i've been thinking to myself what annoys me about these latest images, and whether there is anything wrong about them, or whether they should be posted here at all.

it is an open forum, they clearly are images of war, so what is the big deal ? i've posted images depicting death and destruction, so i can't really get offended by that.

however, i wonder if it is necessary to push a message so strongly. there are other threads that deal with this current issue, and the images are linked there as well. i think there is a real danger in spreading a message too strongly that people get tired of the constant bleating and ignore it even more so.

i take exception to these images for many reasons - firstly, they lack any sense of context. the message is obvious, but there is little credibility or background behind them. they are of poor quality and make no attempt to really engage the viewer at any level above basic ignorance of the issue.

secondly, i think that posting a picture of a headless baby, whether it is real or not, whether it has anything to do with the perceived issue, is unnecessary. those should be linked (IMO) so that the viewer can choose to look at them (i did this earlier with iraq war images).

maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm too uptight or precious about it. i just feel that the thread had done quite well up to now without anyone showing any disrespect towards others, or pontificating about any particular political issue.

personally, i put quite a bit of effort and research into posting images here. i enjoy doing it and it seems to have been well received. it pains me to have it hijacked by someone wanting to push an agenda, and soiling it with inappropriate and unnecessary images.

just my opinion, of course - carry on if i'm wrong.

I have to say I agree with neko for the most part. I am completely against what Israel are doing, but the comparison photos above could be done about any two countries at war. It is agenda pushing and while in a thread of their own they would enjoy good debate and conversation, they are not for this thread. This thread, for me, has a very different feel about it. It shows the wars of the past and hints towards how pointless it all is and how people can become accustomed to almost anything. It doesn’t really aggressively pick sides (Although hard not to on occasion when dealing with Nazi occupation) but it tries to just concentrate on the compositions. It shows some amazing, thought provoking pictures that I find myself staring at for what seems like ages. I really appreciate what neko has done on this thread, and somewhat feel that the Israel/Nazi comparison photos take away from the rest of the thread and make it a political thread instead of a historical thread.

I hope this thread doesn’t turn into pages of argument as it would be to its detriment and would be a bad end to all of nekos hard work.

Agree with Neko 100% here, these discussions are taking place on about three other threads at least.

Some of the images posted from previous conflicts are graphic I admit, but most are tasteful and some of them are pure art, and were posted for their inherent quality and their historical value, not to push an opinion either way.

To be honest - even though I'm fully behind the Palestinian cause with regards to recent events - I really don't want to see pictures of kids' heads on the floor - I don't need that to form an opinion, in fact I think it's a cheap shot.

Mods should delete those posts IMO.