You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MAME - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

This has been around for ages, and I've been using it for years - and its absolutely ace.

However now I've got myself a smart new Media PC which is hooked up to my LCD telly and using a gamepad its even more glorious!

I can recommend several games you all must try:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Double Dragon

Alien vs Predator

Marvel vs Capcom

The Punisher

However there are about a 1000 games to play on - and I've been playing these ones for a long time now - anyone got any recommendations from the arcade?

You can't beat infinite free continues either!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jango, Ive been into this for years too mate.

Got me hundreds of games, my faves are:

Track and Field

Nemesis

Salamander

Green Beret

Championship Sprint

Paperboy

Ghosts n Goblins

GoldenAxe

R-Type

Gradius

Out Run

Battlezone

Old school magic.

TLW Arcade is all I need for a balanced diet and a great sex life.

No way hombre. MAME is the Dita Von Teese of the arcade world. Firing up any of the games in MAME and seeing the old school arcade screen and sounds is pure sex. The TLW arcade is a pale imitation.

Im sure I'll get a negging from Usher for that post.

Guest TK-421
Hehe, I dunno about that!

But then I haven't actually seen it (yet)

Surely you'll want to have a crack at Star Wars Arcade!

Aye, I should really get into this more. I had BeebEm and played Elite quite a lot, but had to leave my computer on constantly because I didn't know how to save it otherwise.

Star Wars Arcade was ace in the old cabinet. I liked Robocop as well, and most of the games on Wiiksie's list.

Oohh Robocop - another great call

Seriously mate - MAME is awesome (if you like Arcade games of course, and who doesn't!!!). very easy to setup too.

I had point Blank running last night - not quite the same with the mouse, but pretty fun non the less.

Anymore recommendations?

On a side note, I have also successfully emulated Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast which is brilliant, trying to source Power Stone (Powerstone > Smash Bros) and I'll be very happy.

My new powerful PC has really reopened the door for retro gaming - N64 emulation is also signicantly better though on playing goldeneye I was really struggling to get my brain around a 1 analogue stick control method, now habing being so used to the dual stick controls - some more tweaking required there me thinks

Been using MAME since the good old DOS days. It rocketh mightily. Where else can I get my Scramble fix?

Got MAME for the xbox here too, not got around to setting it up yet. I imagine that'll rock even harder if possible...

I had that (and finalBurn Alpha) on my original Xbox - was top stuff

Discovered Mame a few months back and have hardly used my PC for anything else since.

If anyone hasna tried it yet I recommend the MAMEUIFX32 (google it) - much more user friendly than the standard version. You can get the roms off any torrent site.

My personal favourites so far include most of the ones mentioned by wilksie plus -

Commando

ESP Ra.De (Quality shoot em up)

Indiana Jones

Metal Slug (all of em)

Space Harrier

Super Sidekicks 3

Sunset Riders

And anything with NeoGeo's name on it.

Hehe, I dunno about that!

But then I haven't actually seen it (yet)

Surely you'll want to have a crack at Star Wars Arcade!

Jango - have you got Star Wars Arcade working in mame? Last time I tried it wasn't emulated - is it working now?

Jango - have you got Star Wars Arcade working in mame? Last time I tried it wasn't emulated - is it working now?

If you mean the early 1980s version I have yes - though not recently played it since I upgraded to the latest MAME version.

If you mean the laser disc style one - I very much doubt it but I will now be taking a look just in case!

EDIT: Kowalski - I haven't heard of this one - Indiana Jones - any good?

I've downloaded this Mame malarkey anbd found this website which has some games

MAWS - searchable information about resources in MAME™ .125u9

What do you do to get them playing. Way too geeky.

I can't see that here - thanks to the work proxy

But it should linmk through to MAME emu download somewhere - you want 125 version (latest) and make sure as someone mentioned to get the GUI version otherwise its a bit harder to change the settings.

Then you source some roms from the various places, stick em in the /roms directory and if they are "good" roms when you refresh the MAME they will show up as available.

then you can enable joypad if you wish and play away! Its really easy.

If you mean the early 1980s version I have yes - though not recently played it since I upgraded to the latest MAME version.

If you mean the laser disc style one - I very much doubt it but I will now be taking a look just in case!

EDIT: Kowalski - I haven't heard of this one - Indiana Jones - any good?

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom - It's not the greatest game but I love it for nostalgia value. I used to always look for it in the arcades as a kid so I love it but probably have a heavily rose tinted view of it.